New Computer Build Spec - Quiet + Future Proofed!

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I am looking at building a new computer over the next few weeks and hoping for some advice/suggestions from everyone if possible. It will primarily be used for gaming but also day to day activities that I can throw at it as well.

In terms of requirements these are the first things that come to mind... If I think of anything else then I will update them as we go along!
  • ~£1500 initial budget
  • 1440p (or 4K if feasible within budget?) @ 120fps.
  • VR Capable
  • Quiet
  • Future proofed (minimum of 5 years ideally, if not more)
  • USB C ports (does not have to be all ports)
  • NVMe only (for OS & games as I'm trying to move to my NAS for everything else)
  • Bluetooth (& WiFi could be useful but not really needed)
  • Fully modular PSU
  • Any other new tech that I haven't thought of? :confused:
Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
Associate
▷ Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming (AMD AM4) B550 A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)- £199.00 SLI, wi-fi, Bluetooth AM4 motherboard with good reviews and good VRM'S. USB type C ports....TWO NVME slots

▷ AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£379.99 8 Core and 16 thread CPU to drive that futureproof PC.

▷ Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£139.99 3600 MHz RAM optimal speed for Ryzen and 32 Gigs to future proof as much as possible.

▷ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Coo… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£34.99 CPU cooler, because your old one may not fit to AM4

▷ MSI GeForce RTX 3060Ti Ventus 2X OC 8GB GDDR6… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£518 VR Ready RTX 3060 Ti MSI Ventus, good brand. 20 percent slower than RTX 3070

▷ Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Towe… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-Well reviewed Lian Li case. £81.95

▷ Lian-Li Lancool II USB3.1 Type-C Cable | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-Lian front cable £11.99 (optional)

▷ Corsair RM Series RM750 750W '80 Plus Gold' M… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)- £104.99 Gold rated Corsair PSU for that power hungry kit.

▷ Corsair Force MP600 series 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen4… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£154.99 Corsair NVME M2 1 terabyte PCIE-Gen 4. 4950 MB's read speeds.

Total

To cut costs you could go with a 5600X, which is £299.99. But less future proof. Or get the 3700X instead 8 cores but slower than both. Also graphics cards are crazy prices, even budget ones.

A good value 1440P monitor would work great with the listed parts.

Soldato
OP
▷ Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming (AMD AM4) B550 A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)- £199.00 SLI, wi-fi, Bluetooth AM4 motherboard with good reviews and good VRM'S. USB type C ports....TWO NVME slots

▷ AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£379.99 8 Core and 16 thread CPU to drive that futureproof PC.

▷ Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£139.99 3600 MHz RAM optimal speed for Ryzen and 32 Gigs to future proof as much as possible.

▷ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Coo… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£34.99 CPU cooler, because your old one may not fit to AM4

▷ MSI GeForce RTX 3060Ti Ventus 2X OC 8GB GDDR6… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£518 VR Ready RTX 3060 Ti MSI Ventus, good brand. 20 percent slower than RTX 3070

▷ Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Towe… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-Well reviewed Lian Li case. £81.95

▷ Lian-Li Lancool II USB3.1 Type-C Cable | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-Lian front cable £11.99 (optional)

▷ Corsair RM Series RM750 750W '80 Plus Gold' M… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)- £104.99 Gold rated Corsair PSU for that power hungry kit.

▷ Corsair Force MP600 series 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen4… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)-£154.99 Corsair NVME M2 1 terabyte PCIE-Gen 4. 4950 MB's read speeds.

Total

To cut costs you could go with a 5600X, which is £299.99. But less future proof. Or get the 3700X instead 8 cores but slower than both. Also graphics cards are crazy prices, even budget ones.

A good value 1440P monitor would work great with the listed parts.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this. I've also updated the requirements based on some bits you reminded me about, so thanks as well for that.

Most of that looks great to me but I do have a couple of questions... Do you think any of the cases with sound proofing would be worthwhile for noise suppression? I've always felt that my PC is rather loud even just at idle and I've never quite figured out why, hence the quiet requirement.

I haven't seen that particular NVMe before, do you know how that compares to the popular samsung evo/pro models?

Finally the graphics card is a bit of a minefield as I have no idea where to start. I also understand that most places are currently sold out of the Nvidia cards! Will the card you have suggested manage 4K at all? Or is this more 1440p at high settings?

Thanks again!! :)

Associate
"cases with sound proofing would be worthwhile for noise suppression" - From my experience of sound proofing, the more sound proof a case is the more heat it retains for the core system Power hungry parts get hot. My Antec P182 was a warm case. I would instead suggest you go for large fans, 140 mil ones, larger fans like the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 will reduce noise and cool. Or the 140 Mil fans in the case listed. You can also use software or Bios to silence fans whilst using PC.

"I haven't seen that particular NV ME before, do you know how that compares to the popular Samsung Evo/pro models?"

980 Pro NVME is overpriced and only PCI-E 4 Samsung part, But good performance.
970 Evo plus is almost as fast but similar price to Corsairs model and only PCI-E Gen 3.

"Or is this more 1440p at high settings?" It is more 1440P, not 4K, for 4K you may want an RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT from AMD. Say good bye to about £1000.00 for those cards if you can find one.

Soldato
OP
"cases with sound proofing would be worthwhile for noise suppression" - From my experience of sound proofing, the more sound proof a case is the more heat it retains for the core system Power hungry parts get hot. My Antec P182 was a warm case. I would instead suggest you go for large fans, 140 mil ones, larger fans like the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 will reduce noise and cool. Or the 140 Mil fans in the case listed. You can also use software or Bios to silence fans whilst using PC.

"I haven't seen that particular NV ME before, do you know how that compares to the popular Samsung Evo/pro models?"

980 Pro NVME is overpriced and only PCI-E 4 Samsung part, But good performance.
970 Evo plus is almost as fast but similar price to Corsairs model and only PCI-E Gen 3.

"Or is this more 1440p at high settings?" It is more 1440P, not 4K, for 4K you may want an RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT from AMD. Say good bye to about £1000.00 for those cards if you can find one.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Really great information.

I've always quite liked the Be Quiet range even though they are quite overpriced. I'm sure there are actually quieter & cheaper equivalents that I don't know about but do you think maybe I should consider the below? Their 140mm fans are ~£20 a piece but the case comes with three of them already.

Finally I am aware that the items below do not currently include the GPU and that the price is already climbing, so this is something I will need to have a think about! The points regarding 1440p/4K resolutions make sense as well and I know there is a considerable price difference between the two. For now I think I would rather move from 1080p to 1440p on PC as that seems far more cost effective given the ridiculous prices on GPU's right now.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,324.55 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Soldato
Cheaper option. The 500DX is better value imo vs the 900 Rev 2 as a Full Tower is a bit of a waste. The 500DX includes 3 x 140mm fans.

It gets a good review from Gamers Nexus.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3575-be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-case-review-mesh-thermals-noise

The Brocken 3 is a nice cooler, and it will perform quiet. It is also offset, so doesn't block any ram slots.

The B550 Gaming Edge saves £20 over the Asus board.

If you are mainly gaming then the WD Blue SN550 saves £75.

Total: £1,049.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato

£200 is too expensive for itself PCIe v3 B550.
There's competent X570 board for the same price and one of the best is only £10 more.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

Besides forthis kind of budget for everything there are more reasonably priced B550 boards.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-359-ms.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...i-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-35b-ms.html

Alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advanced is better for five less than that brand overhyped Coolerhamster.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html
And for 5800X Brocken 3 wouldn't be too much.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

"cases with sound proofing would be worthwhile for noise suppression" - From my experience of sound proofing, the more sound proof a case is the more heat it retains for the core system Power hungry parts get hot. My Antec P182 was a warm case.
Unless blocking airflow paths any noise insulation doesn't have that much effect to temperature compared to same case with "bare metal".
Because except for passively cooled stuff conduction through chassis plays only tiny part in cooling.

But Antec had some major cooling decreasing facepalms in that P180-serie:
1. Intake fans constricted by that full retard level plastic grill.
2. Half of intake airflow for small minority of PC's heat output.
Pretty sure those made quite a few degrees of temperature extra.

Soldato
  • Future proofed (minimum of 5 years ideally, if not more)
8 core is minimum if you want to stay at good level for that long without CPU upgrade.
(alternative would be 6 core now and updating to say 12 core 5900X in couple years)
New consoles have 8 core (16 thread) CPU with 7 cores dedicated exclusively for use of games.
So heavier games of the future will be using lot more cores than current games.

In GPU forget attempting to future proof it.
With competition back performance, especially per price, is going to move forward faster in coming years than in previous half dozen years.

samsung evo/pro models?
Samsung drives are all more or less brand overpriced.

Associate
"£200 is too expensive for itself PCIe v3 B550.There's competent X570 board for the same price and one of the best is only £10 more."

The OP specified he wanted Wi-Fi and Blue tooth, that board has them. It also has USB type C connectors. Also X570 motherboards invariably have an annoying South Bridge fan to fire up to create noise. I am sure there are many good X570 motherboards, but that B550 has had good reviews. It came in at number two.

BEST AMD Motherboards 2020 - YouTube

"Alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advanced is better for five less than that brand overhyped Coolerhamster."

The Coolermaster 212 is an established but old CPU cooler, a reliable brand that he may be aware of.

"Unless blocking airflow paths any noise insulation doesn't have that much effect to temperature compared to same case"

I would rather have large quiet fans than a closed metal box after using both types of case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also X570 motherboards invariably have an annoying South Bridge fan to fire up to create noise.
Only badly designed boards like Asus suffer from that.
Gigabyte and MSI have proper size actual heatsink, instead of big plastic marketing excrements hiding tiny heatsink.
And farther from heat of graphics card, instead of being directly under it to be bathed in its heat like in Asus X570 boards.

Purpose of brands is to rise prices for empty hype, or even worser quality.
If it weren't out of stock there would be at least equal cooler to brand overhyped 212 for £25:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for the really helpful responses.

This is what I have been able to put together so far having taken into account the feedback from everyone. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I think the motherboard is the only outstanding item really but for the price this does appear to tick all of the boxes. Graphics card I've no idea as nothing is in stock :(

Total: £1,085.07 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Back
Top Bottom