New Core 2 Duo build not booting :(

Associate
had the bits for a while but only got around to putting the bits together today.

have a :

6600 C2D
Intel D975XBX 'Bad Axe' mobo - Rev 304
2GB G.Skill PC6400 ZX
Gainward 7950 GX2
Silverstone 650 W PSU

all went fine until i turned it on. the fans spin for 2 secs then stop. press the button again and same happens.

i thought it might be the GPU and it needing a bios upgrade to work so i swapped it for a 6800GT. same prob. no output to the monitor at all.

trying to try now with just 1 stick of RAM. no joy at the moment.

no sound at all from the onboard speaker

anything else i can try?

Associate
OP
2 - Blue cypher.not my first build mate :) . i plan (after work tonight) to try booting outside the case, and poss with an old PD.

this was basically, take out the DFI ultra-d and put this in its place.

Associate
like virdi says it could be the processor, i just fitted a sound card the other night and when i did it was making funny sounds and kept rebooting, it turns out that the back plate on the sound card was touching the mobo and shorting it, so even small things like that or a graphics card backplate or something touching the mobo and case at same time can short it.

Associate
Mate it's the ram.

So many people are having problems with their ram and mobo.

The PC starts up then fans spin and then the whole lot goes off and starts again a few seconds later.

Check out the motherboard section for posts about DS3

Associate
OP
not the PSU as works fine with the DFI mobo previously (Still does - tested)

have a spare CPU to test with so will give that a go after trying to boot outside of the case

RAM? - not sure. shouldnt i get beeps from the mobo in that case? have no spare ones to test with tho. might grab the cheapest stick of DDR2 i can find just for testing. the only RAM i have at the mo apart from this set is DDR

Associate
OP
maybe, will find out tomorrow or day after anyways. ordered a stick of crucial ram direct. checked for compat with this mobo so should be ok.

Soldato
all went fine until i turned it on. the fans spin for 2 secs then stop. press the button again and same happens.

It could be a cold boot....in which case take it out of the case and see if it boots..

Does it switch itself after powering up for all of 2 secs?

When you swapped the gpu around did it stay on longer then 2 secs but you couldnt get into bios?

Associate
OP
same thing no matter what i tried so far (GPU swap/RAM slot swap). when i press the power button, the fans spin for 2 secs then stop.

no signal to the monitor in any case.

tonight then i will try this:

take the mobo out of the case and rest on top of the g.cards case to eliminate shorting. if that brings no joy, then tomorrow i'll swap out the CPU

if there is still no joy i'll have to wait for my new RAM to arrive and test that.

at the moment the battery is out of the mobo, just to clear it.

if all this doesnt work, then it looks like the mobo may be DOA

Associate
OP
ummmm, i soweeee :o

i was thinking about the connectors to the mobo etc, and remembered my DFI mobos needing 4 conns. this only has 2.

after looking on the online manual i found a conn covered by my heatsink at the top left of the mobo - labelled in the manual as

processor power connector

pls let it just be something this silly :p

Soldato
You should have all the power connectors on the Mobo populated.

You also need to flash the BIOS of that board to one that supports Conroe....

Back
Top Bottom