New Crucial M4 Firmware (11/4/2012) Version 000F (newer than 0309)

Soldato
Erm, what? They fixed it in March, it was pretty widespread news and you should've kept your firmware updated.. What do you want them to do, send a email to every email address just in case they might have an M4?

Vogon captain: What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind, it's only four light years away, you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout. Energize the demolition beam. I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.

In short, your comment can sound a little unfair. If he wasn't aware of an issue, or its severity, or indeed there was a fix available, how is that his fault?

Soldato
Vogon captain: What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind, it's only four light years away, you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout. Energize the demolition beam. I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.

In short, your comment can sound a little unfair. If he wasn't aware of an issue, or its severity, or indeed there was a fix available, how is that his fault?

Precisely.

Now I'm in the process of contacting people that I've fitted this drive into their systems to offer them a 'free' firmware flash (because they won't have the slightest clue on how to do it themselves).

Times are hard and I can't afford them taking custom elsewhere or lose business through word of mouth for poor service!

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a very widespread story because the M4 drives have been so popular, it's just unfortunate that you missed all of that coverage.

Better than the drives randomly dying and taking all your data with it...

Associate
It was a very widespread story because the M4 drives have been so popular, it's just unfortunate that you missed all of that coverage.

Better than the drives randomly dying and taking all your data with it...

i thought SSD drives never truely died? and all data is recoverable if your drive fails?

Associate
I feel like facepalming, I was just attempting to run this on my laptop, which doesn't have the M4 in it...

Thanks for the tip though ;)

Associate
3gGIN.jpg

Is the lower speed really due to windows running off that drive. I've just updated firmwares as they came out with the first drive. Just did some benchmarks after installing the second drive, making me second guess updating the firmware.

My 80gig intel still has better ms access times.

Soldato
How do I find out the current version of firmware on my drive?

Validating the Current Firmware Revision

Windows 7 allows the user to check the current firmware revision of the drive by following these steps:

• Click the Windows “Start” button, and select “Computer.”
• On the disk icon which represents your drive, right-click and select “Properties.”
• In the window that pops up, select the “Hardware” tab.
• In the All Disk Drives list, highlight your M4 drive, and click the “Properties” button.
• In the next window that opens, select the “Details” page.
• Under the Property pull-down menu, select “Hardware Ids,” and you will see the following display:

83320230.jpg

• The current firmware revision is circled in red above. If the firmware revision says “000F,” no further action is necessary.

Soldato
Validating the Current Firmware Revision

Windows 7 allows the user to check the current firmware revision of the drive by following these steps:

• Click the Windows “Start” button, and select “Computer.”
• On the disk icon which represents your drive, right-click and select “Properties.”
• In the window that pops up, select the “Hardware” tab.
• In the All Disk Drives list, highlight your M4 drive, and click the “Properties” button.
• In the next window that opens, select the “Details” page.
• Under the Property pull-down menu, select “Hardware Ids,” and you will see the following display:

83320230.jpg

• The current firmware revision is circled in red above. If the firmware revision says “000F,” no further action is necessary.

Or just run AS SSD benchmark ;)

Back
Top Bottom