New Crucial M4 Firmware (11/4/2012) Version 000F (newer than 0309)

Don
Changes

Firmware for the m4 SSD is being updated from version 0309 to 000F. The m4 is updatable to this new firmware starting from versions 0001, 0002, 0009, or 0309 in a single step. If updating from an early version directly to 000F, all interim improvements will also be included (please see Release Notes for version 0002, 0009 and 0309 for details).
Changes between version 0309 and 000F include the following changes:

Improved compatibility with certain SAS expanders and peripheral RAID cards.
Improved throughput stability under extremely heavy workloads.
Improved data protection in the event of unexpected, asynchronous power loss.

This firmware update is recommended for all drives currently in the field if the end user is experiencing any of these symptoms.

---

Three ways to install it..

Click here, choose the Crucial M4 from the dropdown

I used the Windows 7 application to do it.

Windows 7 Updater Application

For this method, click the 'Windows® 7 Updater Application' link, extract the EXE from the ZIP file and Copy the file to your Desktop, run the EXE and follow the simple instructions, then it will restart the pc it will do it for you. (close other applications beforehand as they will auto-close otherwise)

No need to mess around with USB/CD's now, it runs from Windows and adds a temporary new boot entry. Auto-boots into that and runs the upgrade, then restarts the PC and you're back in Windows.

Quite a painless procedure!

Here's how to do it the manual way..

USB
This is what I used to flash via USB (I don't have a DVD drive)

Download the 'Manual Boot File' from Crucial on the link above and extract the ZIP file to a folder, which will give you the ISO file

Then get this tool

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Step 1 Scroll down to the bottom. Select 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
Step 2 Extract the Crucial ISO file from the zip file, point the program at the ISO file
Step 3 Select the USB drive letter.

Reboot and boot from the USB stick
Create

CD-R

Same as above, but burn the ISO file with IMGBurn onto a blank CD

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one for letting me know. Was putting off updating to the last firmware due to me being a noob (was going to do it before I hit the 5000 hour problem though) but this was a doddle. Took 30 seconds or so. :)

TFC

TFC

Associate
Done, thanks for letting us know.
Windows 7 application did not want to play, so did it Manual... good as gold

Associate
Just updated using the Windows 7 Updater Application, couldn't have been easier.

Just make sure you run the exe from the ssd itself, didn't work when I ran it from my storage drive where the file was originally saved to.

Soldato
I have been advised to get one of these and i am just wondering what the write speed is now. My main concern is on the ocuk site, i see the write speed is much slower than comparable drives. The read spead looks to be among the best.

Soldato
Just updated from 0309 using the Windows tool, took about 2 mins from shut down to being back at the desktop, it was quick than flashing from 0009 to 0309 using the manual boot method with a fresh brand new drive!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom