New curved wide/ultra wide monitor advice.

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new monitor (no price cap as such) for my PC. I only game on it and I'm using an RTX 2070 super.

Ideally I want a curved, ultra wide screen but am unsure of which to go with. I'm hoping to have something my GPU can handle for the next couple of years or so (which may limit my options).

With that all said, what are my options?

As a side question, I've never used a curved monitor before and I've heared that it's all based on the curvature of your eyes. Thing is, I have astigmatism which shapes my eyes in more of a rugby ball shape, does this mean the screens won't "work" for me?

Thanks in advance!

Permabanned
With a wide flat screen the angle you are viewing the screen at increases as you move away from the center, which can affect the colour and contrast. Not only that but with a large flat screen you really do feel that the edges of the screen as just too far away from you. Even a small curve seems much more natural.

When you say something to go with a 2070 S it kind of depends what games you play. I have a 2070 S with an 38" 3840x1600 monitor and I can tell you it's fine for older games but it struggles with new titles. I am going to get a 3080 as soon as they are readily available. A newer, more difficult title like Monster hunter for example the 2070S can manage about 55fps. Mind you, if you get G-Sync or Freesync then that's not too bad. For a 3440x1440 it will do about 20% better, so 55Hz for Monster Hunter becomes a solid 65Hz. Course you can always lower the quality or use DLSS which makes a big difference.

Associate
OP
With a wide flat screen the angle you are viewing the screen at increases as you move away from the center, which can affect the colour and contrast. Not only that but with a large flat screen you really do feel that the edges of the screen as just too far away from you. Even a small curve seems much more natural.

When you say something to go with a 2070 S it kind of depends what games you play. I have a 2070 S with an 38" 3840x1600 monitor and I can tell you it's fine for older games but it struggles with new titles. I am going to get a 3080 as soon as they are readily available. A newer, more difficult title like Monster hunter for example the 2070S can manage about 55fps. Mind you, if you get G-Sync or Freesync then that's not too bad. For a 3440x1440 it will do about 20% better, so 55Hz for Monster Hunter becomes a solid 65Hz. Course you can always lower the quality or use DLSS which makes a big difference.

To add to this: I bought the Acer Predator 3440x1440 curved monitor as it was going cheap back on black Friday, or whatever it was. The monitor has been a major upgrade to my system, far more than I would have imagined and it has caused me no issues with my astigmatism.

I'm running games on a RTX2070 and it is all doing fine. I'm not one of those people who worry if the FPS drops (So long as I don't notice it) and I've had no issues running red dead 2, bf5, battlefront 2 etc on it at a high video setting so it's great.

I did a lot of research into screen resolutions before choosing the one I wanted and from what I could see, any higher than the 3440x1440 and you will find yourself having to upgrade GPU far more often than lower resolutions. Not only that but your likely gonna need to stay cutting edge, making it an expensive situation.

Of course, everyone has different circumstances and that may not be a concern, in which case the world is your oyster!

I can't say enough how much better my gaming life feels. Months later I am still in awe of how games look on it, I'm truly in love with it. The best 'component' I have ever invested in by far.

Back
Top Bottom