New DD-WRT router or?

Soldato
According to my VPN provider they have recently(last few days)upgraded the openvpn side of their network
This has caused my ageing netgear dd-wrt router to not connect via openvpn to the servers :(
It already has the last workable firmware on it so cannot update the firmware

So do I get a newer router that will allow recent dd-wrt and latest openvpn?
if so which ones should I look at?

or do I get something like this _
Braswell Celeron Quad Core Mini Box PC

and install pfsense on it?Is this difficult to do?

My ADSL connection is max of 4Mb down and .6Mb up :(
Wireless is not important as best devices are only N class
:)

Soldato
I have DD-WRT and I am very happy with it. Obviously pfsense is very highly regarded but I've never used it. I guess you need someone who is familiar with both to offer advice.

For me it would depend on your experience / confidence / willingness to tinker. For an easy life go DD-WRT. For maximum functionality and geek points go with PFSENSE but be prepared for more involved set up and testing.

Soldato
Netgear r7800 with dd wrt kong mod.

Using it for open vpn (both server and client) Local DNS Server, dhcp and a small usb attached nas to compliment my main nas.

Soldato
I've used both, currently using PfSense in a VM. dd-wrt does most things and is a lot easier to get to grips with. PfSense is much more powerful and can do pretty much anything you want but it does involve a little more learning. The PfSense forums and support packages are excellent however. I've still not scratched the surface on most of what it can do but I've got it running a VPN Server, Squid Transparent Proxy Server, Squidguard content controls as well as a host of firewall rules. It took me a few weeks to get it all running as I wanted it but once it's done, it just works.

Soldato
OP
Decided to get a Netgear 6400
Cheaper than the 7800 and i don`t need the extra wireless speed
Will post back in a few days with my results
Hope this will fix my VPN problem or its going straight back:p

Soldato
What version of open vpn does your service need?

Shoud be fine, latest build contains v2.3.13

Code:
BusyBox v1.24.2 (2016-12-07 23:41:43 CET) built-in shell (ash)

root@pluto:~# openvpn --version
OpenVPN 2.3.13 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [IPv6] built on Dec  7 2016
library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2h  3 May 2016, LZO 2.09

Soldato
OP
Have disconnected router atm,but i am fairly sure it was compiled in 2015 and was a kong version with support for openvpn
edit
just found the file i used `dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNR3500Lv2`dated nov 15

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom