New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
Well I've gone for the Dell. Been ummming and arrring over this and the LG for a while now. Both have pros and cons but overall, despite the issues, this just pips it for me. Lets hope I won't be needing to play the returns game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had issues of screen going black when certian apps presented data such as WFC firewall alerts.

I observed the problem is caused by gsync.

Two fixes.

Either make custom profiles for the applications in question and in those profiles disable gsync.
Or probably easier, disable gsync on the base profile, and enable it selectively for games that benefit instead.

Permabanned
I had issues of screen going black when certian apps presented data such as WFC firewall alerts.

I observed the problem is caused by gsync.

Two fixes.

Either make custom profiles for the applications in question and in those profiles disable gsync.
Or probably easier, disable gsync on the base profile, and enable it selectively for games that benefit instead.

I have this now and again, its quite rare, though I have only noticed it happen lately in Fifa 21. Even then its like once in an hours gameplay.

Man of Honour
Mine has been absolutely spot on. I think I need a bigger desk, as 27" on a 60cm deep desk isn't something I'm used to (historically had 24" on a huge 80cm deep corner desk) but I can't hold that against the monitor :p

There is of course some IPS glow/back-light bleed, but it's really not noticeable to me and is something you're just going to have to accept with IPS.

Associate
What were the issues you were worried about anyway? :p Cant say I have had any, other than a very rare black screen during gaming for a second or so, gsync related.

I won't be using Gsync - so that's good to know. Will see what the colours are like when I receive it - looking forward to replacing my 144hz TN panel from Element Gaming, this should be a much better screen and performance!

Soldato
I won't be using Gsync - so that's good to know. Will see what the colours are like when I receive it - looking forward to replacing my 144hz TN panel from Element Gaming, this should be a much better screen and performance!

It will feel like a massive upgrade from TN, my laptop is a small TN screen, and if I look from slightly too high the bottom is darker, if I lower my head so bottom is right colour/contract, the top is darker. The viewing angle is so bad.

I remember my panel progress.

TN - hated it from day 1.
VA - could finally watch movies without looking head on, but too much black smear and viewing angles still not good enough.
IPS - never looked back. IPS glow is a thing but if you like me and get used to not having super high brightness the problem is significantly mitigated.

Associate
It will feel like a massive upgrade from TN, my laptop is a small TN screen, and if I look from slightly too high the bottom is darker, if I lower my head so bottom is right colour/contract, the top is darker. The viewing angle is so bad.

I remember my panel progress.

TN - hated it from day 1.
VA - could finally watch movies without looking head on, but too much black smear and viewing angles still not good enough.
IPS - never looked back. IPS glow is a thing but if you like me and get used to not having super high brightness the problem is significantly mitigated.

I don't watch films on my PC (I have my 65XG9505 for that), it's purely for gaming, so should be great! Thanks for the reply :) The element TN panel is fine to game on, everything else it's shocking.

Soldato
Doing my head in this flickering, can't seem to work out what it is, sometimes it's fine sometimes it's really bad. Sometimes it's like the highest black frame insertion on some tvs where it goes really flickery and sickly.

Soldato
Doing my head in this flickering, can't seem to work out what it is, sometimes it's fine sometimes it's really bad. Sometimes it's like the highest black frame insertion on some tvs where it goes really flickery and sickly.

If its what seems like light flickering it might be auto contrast features, my monitor has 2 of such features, I turned one of them off to solve it.

On the LG its called DFC. Also smart energy saving I disabled which is a luminance compensation algorithm.

Man of Honour
So frustrating, this monitor looks like the best fit for me. But every time I come in here someone is complaining about another fault. :(

I have 2 perfect ones, other than the 60Hz dark pixel line that every single monitor has. I don’t notice this though unless I look for it.

Soldato
I have 2 perfect ones, other than the 60Hz dark pixel line that every single monitor has. I don’t notice this though unless I look for it.

I've never run mine at 60hz - my pc is not realy good enough to take advantage of this monitor, but I just leave it at 165hz, adaptive sync/freesync - It doesnt seem to put any extra strain on my pc compared to 120/144hz.

Man of Honour
I've never run mine at 60hz - my pc is not realy good enough to take advantage of this monitor, but I just leave it at 165hz, adaptive sync/freesync - It doesnt seem to put any extra strain on my pc compared to 120/144hz.

My work laptop doesn’t support 165hz on the third screen, and the Switch uses 60Hz.

Associate
I just cancelled my order with DELL as the deivery date was 20th April and I'm impatient. I've gotten Currys to price match @ £339, which is a bonus as I have a £20 currys gift card and got an extra 6% off making the total £325 and being delivered tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom