New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
They are even reimbursing me some tax money!

lucky sod, I’ve heard of people getting the tax back if the carrier doesn’t get charged when it comes into the country.

Got mine set up and it’s a lovely monitor. No dead pixels I can see, was sealed and looked brand new so happy I avoided one of the open ones. Bargain for £160, nephews getting my Acer XB271HU and I’ll look to shift his old one for £100 or so.

Soldato
lucky sod, I’ve heard of people getting the tax back if the carrier doesn’t get charged when it comes into the country.

Got mine set up and it’s a lovely monitor. No dead pixels I can see, was sealed and looked brand new so happy I avoided one of the open ones. Bargain for £160, nephews getting my Acer XB271HU and I’ll look to shift his old one for £100 or so.

Yeah I've got an email in French about reimbursing 15 euros or so. Same happened when I bought a 5600x from amazon.us a few month back. They randomly gave me £42 back for that which made it cos me about £170.

Associate
Is it normal that theres noticeable ghosting on this monitor? Because I have some sort of servere ghosting or "pixel quality reduction" around colors when bright and black colors meet each other.

Soldato
How are the colours on this? I heard some people say the whites are a bit yellow etc.

If I were to get it, I'd get the S2721DGFA instead. From what I've read it has updated firmware and parts/spares? sourced from Europe and not China.

Soldato
Would you guys find this acceptable? https://i.imgur.com/w4h1SaP.jpeg Bottom left is quite noticeable the rest I can live with.

For me no, I get really distracted by it gaming. I love the colour of IPS but your photo shows why I went VA last time. Sadly having an OLED makes them all a bit naff but I'm not willing to risk burning issues using as a pc monitor.

Associate
My monitor had some "dark color" ghosting kinda thing so I contacted dell which gave me another monitor.

I still have both and tested them next to each other. Monitor 1 is the old, monitor 2 is the new:

Monitor 1:
- has some dark color transition "flickering" kinds thing which is what annoys me.
- stutters when uncapped framerate.
Monitor 2:
- seems to have less problem with the transition, but is extremely warm with yellow ting. It's so warm that I can replicate it by just picking the warm preset on my old monitor that's how yellow it is.
- doesn't stutter with uncapped framerate.
- is really yellow tinted at the sites, like **** warm to look at.

What the hell should I do? Can anyone tell me why or how monitor 1 can have dark color transition problems, if it's not common? What can cause it.

And is there a way to prevent it?

Caporegime
Would you guys find this acceptable? https://i.imgur.com/w4h1SaP.jpeg Bottom left is quite noticeable the rest I can live with.
It's par for the course. My LG (same panel near enough) is *exactly* the same. In fact all the examples of a Nano-IPS screen are *exactly* the same. It's always the bottom left corner, and it's the same as yours. Including my unit.

It's just IPS. It's much worse at 27" than it was on 23", but that's just the effect of the extra width. Bigger the screen the worse the glow.

If it bothers you you'll have to stay away from IPS, or at least LG's panels. It bother me too, but I can't be arsed to send back and otherwise very nice screen.

All LCD tech has issues. For VA it's black crush. I tried to use a VA TV as a monitor and the centre of the screen was total garbage. Every detail was lost thanks to black crush. Pick your poison - they all suck.

MrH

MrH

Associate
I just bought the S2721DGFA today for £270 on sale. I'm moving from a 24" Viewsonic XG2401 1080p 144Hz which I've been happy with, but I've wanted to move to 1440p since I got my RTX 3080 and it just seemed like time at this price. I'm a bit worried after reading this thread though, it seems there's a lot of stuff to check once it arrives. I read tons of reviews before ordering and most people seem to rate it extremely highly, so fingers crossed I don't get a bad unit.

Caporegime
It's par for the course. My LG (same panel near enough) is *exactly* the same. In fact all the examples of a Nano-IPS screen are *exactly* the same. It's always the bottom left corner, and it's the same as yours. Including my unit.

It's just IPS. It's much worse at 27" than it was on 23", but that's just the effect of the extra width. Bigger the screen the worse the glow.

If it bothers you you'll have to stay away from IPS, or at least LG's panels. It bother me too, but I can't be arsed to send back and otherwise very nice screen.

All LCD tech has issues. For VA it's black crush. I tried to use a VA TV as a monitor and the centre of the screen was total garbage. Every detail was lost thanks to black crush. Pick your poison - they all suck.

Yep, just tried a 32 inch IPS screen and the IPS glow in the corners was ridiculous.

Have settled on a VA panel, which also has drawbacks but its better than the IPS panel.

I which OLED monitors would start to arrive :(

Soldato
Also I think people are having higher expectations than strictly nesesary when it comes to IPS.. Yes there's glow, which does look bad in a black room..
But in terms of general usage you don't really notice it

Caporegime
Also I think people are having higher expectations than strictly nesesary when it comes to IPS.. Yes there's glow, which does look bad in a black room..
But in terms of general usage you don't really notice it
Nah I disagree with that.

The glow on mine (same panel as these) is very visible at all times of day and in all usage cases. And my brightness is set to 5% only.

It glows like the surface of the sodding sun :p

So much so that I really hope not to need to buy another IPS screen ever again. Hopefully there will be something better in a few years time.

Otherwise I might well jump ship to VA. The IPS glow is freaking awful at 27" and above.

MrH

MrH

Associate
Is there a go to ICC profile for this monitor? I know it's not 100% accurate, and better to do it yourself but I'm not doing professional work so I don't want to spend £150 on a Spyder. It literally just arrived so I'm going to go plug it in.

Soldato
There is some calibration discussion earlier in this thread, but it's quite a long thread.
Personally all I really did was dial the brighness down a few notches as I found it a bit too retina burning at stock, but mines the older non 'A' version, which I belive just has the stock brightness turned down a little anyway for energy efficiency targets.
Other than that I'm happy with the monitor.
Clearly a lot of posters in this thread are not happy, not sure if thats panel lottery or misaligned expectations though.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is glow, but of course it will look really bad if you run high brightness, the few who replied on here what brightness they use, are all using very high brightness. I think people are just used to showroom levels of brightness as well as high brightness HDR screens.

But at the same time IPS isnt for everyone. I think anyone who wants high brightness and especially if they consume a lot of dark content then they probably should go VA instead.

I use brightness 21 if anyone is curious. The same as what reviewers like rtings recommend.

Last edited:
Associate
I am looking to get matching extra monitors to pair with my S2721DGFA and have found a horde of Dell 27in monitors. Its REALLY hard to see which ones have same bezel style etc and I don't need 1440P or super features.

It looks like the S2721HSX is same exterior shell and its a passable 1080P screen spec for me. Anyone own one of those as well and able to confirm it matches??

Soldato
Hi guys,

I don't think my monitor is faulty, but I get random flashes sometime whilst browsing/scrolling - using Chrome. Seems to happen when there is a lot going on, on the page - vid's, sounds etc.

Rest of rig in sig. nVidia drivers right up to date. I suspect its a Chrome issue and should probably try it on another browser?

I'm using DP, running at the highest refresh rate.

Thanks.

Associate
I have this monitor and also an Xrite Pro to calibrate it.
I tried using ambient light last night at 58cdm2 (based off taking a room reading at the time with the device) and the screen is way way too dark.

What brightness settings do I need to select?
I would like one Profile for Photos/YouTube and deskwork and then another for Gaming (surely more brightness is best for gaming?)

Please could someone tell me what I need to select (screen type etc for settings) to get what I want.

I have spent hours trying to read and find and have only managed to get odd person saying 120 cdm2. However I want a profile also to look great for gaming.

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help. I thought it would be plug and and the device would make it as perfect as it can. However I have given myself a headache as seems way more confusing.

Back
Top Bottom