New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
I have this monitor and also an Xrite Pro to calibrate it.
I tried using ambient light last night at 58cdm2 (based off taking a room reading at the time with the device) and the screen is way way too dark.

What brightness settings do I need to select?
I would like one Profile for Photos/YouTube and deskwork and then another for Gaming (surely more brightness is best for gaming?)

Please could someone tell me what I need to select (screen type etc for settings) to get what I want.

I have spent hours trying to read and find and have only managed to get odd person saying 120 cdm2. However I want a profile also to look great for gaming.

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help. I thought it would be plug and and the device would make it as perfect as it can. However I have given myself a headache as seems way more confusing.

Soldato
I know monitors are all unique in their settings to be properly calibrated, however if I used the RTings calibration profile, surely I'd get a much better quality picture than with the stock settings? Surely the profile wouldn't be far off?

Associate
I know monitors are all unique in their settings to be properly calibrated, however if I used the RTings calibration profile, surely I'd get a much better quality picture than with the stock settings? Surely the profile wouldn't be far off?

The only problem I see is it's set at 100 cdm2 which is 29 on brightness.
It's currently set to 75. When I turn down to 29 it looks awfully dim to enjoy gaming on the screen.

I was thinking of calibrating at the same settings 100 or 120 and then having a seperate profile for gaming (unsure on what brightness. Default 75 is around 230cdm2 on this screen)

Hopefuy someone on here can help, as I have an expensive Xrite waiting to calibrate, however it's quite confusing. Tried to do the room check and it calibrated at around 60cdm2 and wanted me to select brightness around 12. Way way to dark to enjoy anything!?

Associate
I have this monitor and also an Xrite Pro to calibrate it.
I tried using ambient light last night at 58cdm2 (based off taking a room reading at the time with the device) and the screen is way way too dark.

What brightness settings do I need to select?
I would like one Profile for Photos/YouTube and deskwork and then another for Gaming (surely more brightness is best for gaming?)

Please could someone tell me what I need to select (screen type etc for settings) to get what I want.

I have spent hours trying to read and find and have only managed to get odd person saying 120 cdm2. However I want a profile also to look great for gaming.

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help. I thought it would be plug and and the device would make it as perfect as it can. However I have given myself a headache as seems way more confusing.
It is a naturally dark monitor though.

Soldato
Purchased my 27" off Currys Ebay site last March 26th. Everything has been flawless until yesterday.

I have 3 devices plugged into the monitor. The PC is hooked upto DP, whilst HDMI 1&2 are hooked upto my wifes Laptop and my PS5.

I came home yesterday and swiched the monitor on, as well as my PC. I saw a black screen and figured Win10 was doing it's llamatron updates before showing the desktop. A few mins later and I realised something was up. Essentially windows was running but the monitor had a blank screen.

Trying to access the OSD didn't do a thing - nothing appeared. Switched the monitor off and on and saw the desktop for a split second before another blank screen. So I hit the reset button on my case but the screen remained blank as the OS booted.

Removing the DP cable and reinserting it again showed the desktop for a split second except it was bright as hell.

Doing some research I found this, and a redditor with the exact same issue posted an hour before mine.

Firing up the PS5 led to the same thing. A blank screen but I could hear the Miles Morales music over my headset so I know the dashboard was up.

In the end I decided to unplug the monitor from mains for 5mins. Don't know why I decided to do this but plugging it back in worked - the display was stable (SuperFast mode) in both Windows (1440p@144hz) and it ran fine on the PS5 for a few hours.

I was tempted to put in a return but I am conflicted now.

Soldato
@Kainz does it still have a three years advanced replacement warranty with Dell, considering that it was bought from Currys ebay.?
(Hopefully you registered it with Dell)
If so you don't have any worries that need immediate action.
If this does happen again make sure that you video it, then you can demonstrate the issue if the fault proves to be intermittent.
Mine was replaced very quickly by Dell after it failed shortly after owing it.

Soldato
@Kainz does it still have a three years advanced replacement warranty with Dell, considering that it was bought from Currys ebay.?
(Hopefully you registered it with Dell)
If so you don't have any worries that need immediate action.
If this does happen again make sure that you video it, then you can demonstrate the issue if the fault proves to be intermittent.
Mine was replaced very quickly by Dell after it failed shortly after owing it.
It has the 3yrs. After that incident I immediately remembered about registering products on my old Dell account and went there hoping my service tag would allow me for the warranty. It added fine and my warranty expires in 2025. I haven't had any issues since then so I've no idea what that was. This is my first Dell product in quite some time so it is good to see they're still good for repairs.

Soldato
@Kainz Good that you got it registered. My advanced replacement was dropped off by the courier who, IIRC, waited until the new one was out of the box and then the old one placed inside of it, to attach a returns label and then take it back with him.
It just all worked out fine.
Just have a think about recording it if it should happen again.

Associate
I have narrowed my choices down to two different S2721DGFs, but I really need to pick one. :cry: Both have very little backlight bleed, and no dead or stuck pixels.

The first panel has less vignetting, but the right half of the screen is slightly warmer than the left. Not horribly but it is visible to me, especially with a white or light gray/blue background. The second has better color uniformity except for the bottom left that is a cool blue/purple. Not sure if this is related to IPS glow, but it does not go away with a change of viewing angle. This one is dimmer on the right half.

Is the color uniformity a common issue with gaming monitors in general? I've only had TN up until now so this is all new to me.

m5utn5l.jpg

Associate
I need some help.
I just received my s2721dgfa but everytime i boot the pc once the boot goes past windows spinning wheel logo it gives me no dp signal.Sometimes goes in pc repair and diagnoze.If i go in bios settings where my boot drive is fine ,if i press on override boot having my boot drive as first option,itnfinally goes in windows.I have replaced the cable but have no ideea what is wrong.

Soldato
I need some help.
I just received my s2721dgfa but everytime i boot the pc once the boot goes past windows spinning wheel logo it gives me no dp signal.Sometimes goes in pc repair and diagnoze.If i go in bios settings where my boot drive is fine ,if i press on override boot having my boot drive as first option,itnfinally goes in windows.I have replaced the cable but have no ideea what is wrong.

It sounds like there something more going on here.

I have noticed the monitor can get confused sometimes from a cold hard boot, but that wouldn't make windows throw a diagnose and repair error?

I do recall something about using the suplied DP cable as not all are equal of running high refresh rates?
Have you tried knocking the monitor and windows down to 60hz and then working up from there as a process of elimination?

Associate
It sounds like there something more going on here.

I have noticed the monitor can get confused sometimes from a cold hard boot, but that wouldn't make windows throw a diagnose and repair error?

I do recall something about using the suplied DP cable as not all are equal of running high refresh rates?
Have you tried knocking the monitor and windows down to 60hz and then working up from there as a process of elimination?
I reseated the 6+2 pin gpu cable....2 days so far is working fine...maybe the 2 pin connector was not properly aligned.

Soldato
Turns out my LG27GL850 I decided to buy instead of the Dell has an interesting issue, manufacturer cheating.

So this monitor has multiple revisions, in short the newer revision has HBR3 (DP 1.4 bandwidth), fixed LFC with pascal and older GPUs, and enhanced firmware including contrast adjustment on sRGB mode. However downside is it has some problems booting linux in some situations, and the sRGB is no longer factory calibrated.
The first revision factory calibrated sRGB, better compatibility with linux, less firmware features, and the most controversial no HBR3 mode. Discovered on reddit and confirmed by a few users.

It took me a while to validate as Nvidia drivers dont readily show the info as AMD does, but on the custom resolution creation screen, if you select automatic for timings, it will use the values provided by the monitor, I was checking this as because the oldest LG27GL850 dont actually have DP 1.4 bandwidth, LG went out of spec on the VESA vblank timings so they could get 1440p/144hz/10bit to work. I wanted to know if they went out of spec in all resolutions and refresh rates, the good news is at 120hz and lower it is in spec and they are only cheating at 144hz. I am posting this as I noticed occasionally on here people have talked about monitors going black and other issues at max refresh rate, and if any screens are cheating in this way this is a potential reason.

I also confirmed in service menu is no HBR3 on my screen.

So if anyone is considering the LG alternative and they plan to use the max refresh rate, consider this information. Note that DP 1.4 is more than just about bandwidth so the OP of that post calling it fake may be wrong, its just confirmed the bandwidth isnt there, not other DP 1.4 features.

reddit post here, and some info on timings.

Posted in this thread as it had discussion on the LG as well.

Back
Top Bottom