New driver. Need of car. Suggestions pls

Associate
Hi
I passed my exam in June and now in need of car.

Used car market is crazy and don't want to by something which will definitely go down in year or 2..

Need car for family.. Money around 5 6k.. Can go for finance.. Automatic car and another need is pan roof like qashkai have..

Please suggest on some cars which won't drop much in value and good for first car considering insurance..

Soldato
Of all the things that are needed on a car I would've though a panoramic roof is way down the list, it maybe nice to have but needed can't see it myself.

TBH the best bet is something common like a Focus or Golf equiv.

Associate
OP
Of all the things that are needed on a car I would've though a panoramic roof is way down the list, it maybe nice to have but needed can't see it myself.

TBH the best bet is something common like a Focus or Golf equiv.
Well it is my 6 years old son who wants the pan roof.. Can do without it as well not a biggie.

How is peogeot 3008.. There are many around 3-4 k which is 2011 with 70 80k on the clock

Soldato
Do yourself a favour and don't get finance, you have a good enough budget for a reasonable car.

My suggestion is a Skoda Rapid Sportback, some of these have a panoramic roof.

I would also say panoramic roof is a luxury item so if you can drop that you'll have more options.

Soldato
Well it is my 6 years old son who wants the pan roof.. Can do without it as well not a biggie.

How is peogeot 3008.. There are many around 3-4 k which is 2011 with 70 80k on the clock

I would say a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra are a better bet. Better build quality and design, and very popular so easy maintenance.

Associate
OP
Do yourself a favour and don't get finance, you have a good enough budget for a reasonable car.

My suggestion is a Skoda Rapid Sportback, some of these have a panoramic roof.

I would also say panoramic roof is a luxury item so if you can drop that you'll have more options.
Cool will have a look at it on autotrader.co.uk.. Is there any other website who doesn't post advt on autotrader?

Soldato
Try and narrow down your list, then go and look at some cars and sit in them, because it is often a big difference when you are actually there. If you really like one, then test drive it, but I would say if at all possible, don't buy the first one you test drive, this is just to know you like the car. There will always be other cars if buying a popular car.

Once you have chosen the exact model, you can then get a feel for the market, by watching the market a bit and seeing what comes up.

It is worth doing a bit of research for known faults of a particular model:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

https://www.parkers.co.uk/

Also, inspect the car thoroughly when you buy it, e.g. take a look underneath to see what condition it's in etc.

Soldato
.. No idea about cars at all

Then take a friend or someone with you who does.

To be honest, for a first car I wouldn't go for something nice/expensive, and certainly not on finance. If you've just passed, you almost certainly will ding it/kerb the wheels etc.

While it sucks doing that on any car, it's a lot less painful on a £1.5k car which already has a few bumps and scrapes than a £6k car in relatively good condition.

My advice would be to buy an older car in good mechanical condition and drive if for a year or 2, by which point you'll have more experience and more idea of what you actually want from a car (and the market might be a bit more sensible!)

Back
Top Bottom