** New EK warning on new Nickel Blocks **

Associate
lol just seen this. Weve got 4 EK blocks that weve tested.

Aurora - N0 problems found
X1 - no problems found
Pastel - no problems found
Biocide extreme + Ultra Pure H20 no problems found
Biocide ectreme + Ultra Pure water + Sivler coil = no problems found

But as a side not EK have had a lot of problems even with there own premixed liquids on there blocks and shown staining even when using there own fluids but we have never seen or come across any of it our self (unless using UV pink which just stains every thing it touches). so either were doing some thing right or there doing some thing wrong.

We have never experienced flacking with any of our blocks neither which is amazing since a lot of others have. So once again either we take grate care in how we do our systems (wich i know for a fact i don't) or some thing else is wrong.

Its down to you the users what you choose to do. How ever don't believe every thing you read especially when it comes to some one selling you some thing you do not need.

the old saying comes to mind if some thing works leave it alone....

PPS i hate nickle and am a copper fan my self.

Last edited:
Soldato
i really dont get this fascination with nickel blocks...

yes the block looks a lot better, but then in your system you only see the back of the card so all the nickel is hidden

so your running the risk of using nickel but you cant even see it becuase it is upside down for 95%+ of the time :confused::confused::confused:

i just go with straight copper which, granted, doesnt look as good, but doesnt have such high risk

You don't always have the choice though, with the 7970 LTG blocks they are only being made as Nickel blocks, no full copper unfortunately.

Associate
lol just seen this. Weve got 4 EK blocks that weve tested.

Aurora - N0 problems found
X1 - no problems found
Pastel - no problems found
Biocide extreme + Ultra Pure H20 no problems found
Biocide ectreme + Ultra Pure water + Sivler coil = no problems found

But as a side not EK have had a lot of problems even with there own premixed liquids on there blocks and shown staining even when using there own fluids but we have never seen or come across any of it our self (unless using UV pink which just stains every thing it touches). so either were doing some thing right or there doing some thing wrong.

We have never experienced flacking with any of our blocks neither which is amazing since a lot of others have. So once again either we take grate care in how we do our systems (wich i know for a fact i don't) or some thing else is wrong.

Its down to you the users what you choose to do. How ever don't believe every thing you read especially when it comes to some one selling you some thing you do not need.

the old saying comes to mind if some thing works leave it alone....

PPS i hate nickle and am a copper fan my self.

What about when you posted this ? :S

"Our CPU block the Plated ones are all show flaking and ware and tear around the pins and edges. All the gpu blocks show the same. This is Both Old plating and new EN version. Under Vegetable extract and Glycol based coolants and under Biocide (cu) and kill coil. looks to us as no matter what you do its going to fail earlier than expected. The glycol or vegetable extract only seems to slow it down and not prevent it how ever staining it still present on all blocks so as for EKs statement i think we may strongly disagree with what they have to say on the matter.

I don't know what the issue is as we do not make blocks or plate them how ever i strongly believe that plating is not the way forwards (not with EK any way) and they need to take a step back and go to copper. The only reason for plating is for bling purposes (very much like aurora is made for bling only). Yes it may not have that magpie effect but when you buy such expensive equipment it should not fail so fast and so badly.

EK have 2 choices realy 1) Back to copper only, 2) Increase there price and get them plated better / thicker , or what ever the problem is. But get it sorted.

Im no expert on any of this but if they keep going at this rate some thing is going to give way.

Like is say though our koolance, heatkiller and other blocks are all fine with no signs of ware and tear and no signs of staining. "

Associate
To summarise for the hard of understanding - am I right in saying if I was someone who had no choice over nickel or copper (ie. in the case of the new EK 7970 Nickel ightning blocks) I would need to make sure the coolant is 'pre-mixed' as opposed to something like say the Ultra Pure (Mayhems) water?

Sorry if I dont make sense had drinkies!

Soldato
If you want shiny, drop the cash on Bitspower or Dangerden stuff then,
I stand by what i said earlier on this matter, EK won't be getting any of my business when i upgrade my loop next, Even their comp fittings don't seem all that (mine seem to keep trying to unscrew themselves over the last few weeks)

Yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying. However, I do think that the problem is fixed. I am yet to find one CONFIRMED case of EN flaking.

However, EK over promoting their own fluid is a bit tacky IMO

SHINY STUFF FTW!! :D

This guy speaks sense^^^

i really dont get this fascination with nickel blocks...

yes the block looks a lot better, but then in your system you only see the back of the card so all the nickel is hidden

so your running the risk of using nickel but you cant even see it becuase it is upside down for 95%+ of the time :confused::confused::confused:

i just go with straight copper which, granted, doesnt look as good, but doesnt have such high risk

Depends in the orientation of your motherboard ;)

You can still see the top of the nickel from the standard motherboard orientation and for me personally this is a risk I am willing to take. As said above, I am yet to see flaking with EN.

Soldato
To summarise for the hard of understanding - am I right in saying if I was someone who had no choice over nickel or copper (ie. in the case of the new EK 7970 Nickel ightning blocks) I would need to make sure the coolant is 'pre-mixed' as opposed to something like say the Ultra Pure (Mayhems) water?

Sorry if I dont make sense had drinkies!

According to mick, all mayhems products work fine.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying. However, I do think that the problem is fixed. I am yet to find one CONFIRMED case of EN flaking.

However, EK over promoting their own fluid is a bit tacky IMO

This guy speaks sense^^^

Depends in the orientation of your motherboard ;)

You can still see the top of the nickel from the standard motherboard orientation and for me personally this is a risk I am willing to take. As said above, I am yet to see flaking with EN.

Thats why I got some shiny case :D

Soldato
at least this latest statement is a step down from past comments - previously their website was plastered that they would only give warranty if you used EK fluid - at least they are now saying you should use A fluid and not neccessarily THEIR fluid

Associate
My nickle plated 590 blocks and HF after about half a year seems fine. I use mayhems and have seen no flaking or staining as of yet. Give ortake the tubing which is a little tinted but everything else is fine.

Are some people reading a little too far into all this. Now unfortunately I am typing on a netbook while I wait on new tubing to get my main rig back up after this post.

Man of Honour
I think the thing people have issue with is that EK are the only company having problems with flaking nickel blocks, but they are trying to blame everything except the process. And I have to say their blocks were fine for a long time, then they changed their process and their blocks started having problems, then they changed to EN and said that EN was not going to have the same problem, but now it seems it does, but its still nothing to do with the plating methods they use. Just doesn't add up to me.

I think you were always lucky if you got a good or a bad plated block from EK in the past, but now Watercooling is much more mainstream there are more instances because more blocks are being sold.

As someone else said before, yes the WC "scene" is very community driven and up till now a lot of people would listen to the advice the community gave out, so the community had a lot of sway with the companies, but now, the more commercial and off-the-shelf it becomes it may be that the less of a voice the communities will have with some of the manufacturers.

Thats why I am glad there is choice in the market, not just from the likes of XSPC and Aquacomputing but also from small companies like MIPS and HeatKiller. At the end of the day for me I always try and buy reference video cards because that way you can get a block from any manufacturer, but then I build with watercooling in the forefront of the design process so its a bit easier for me.

Back
Top Bottom