New elite, dodgy controller

Soldato
Bought an Elite last week and the controller left analogue stick has a few issues.

Firstly it doesn't always centre at the same spot, so occasionally when you release the stick to drive in a straight line on Forza 2, the car will track slightly left (nothing to do with car damage or road camber btw). Give it a quick nudge right and it fixes itself but it's a bit annoying.

Second the input from that stick seems to jump a bit. I was driving a few laps with that controller and then switching to an old white controller to compare, and the car was going into slides with the black one for no reason, like the input values are jumping about.

And that stick also squeaks.

Thing is though, we're talking about quite subtle effects that a MS technician probably wouldn't spot, is it worth trying to get MS to replace it? I don't want to return the whole thing to the retailer.

Also is there any way to view the raw controller input - maybe some game that gives you a calibration box or something like that?

Thanks.

Soldato
I'm fairly certain if you call MS support they'll send you out a replacement pad with no trouble. I've never done it myself butI know others have.

Have you spoken to the retailer to see if theyycan just swap the controller out for you? Seems crazy for them to want to swap the entire system due to a dodgy controller.

Soldato
You can do calibration through a PC, but you'd need the wireless thingyme to do it.

I'd go to a shop and see what they say. If they do want the whole thing back, kick up a stink and they'll probably just replace the pad.

Otherwise sending it to Microsoft would be your only option, I don't think they'd give you any trouble replacing it.

Soldato
OP
Have you spoken to the retailer to see if theyycan just swap the controller out for you? Seems crazy for them to want to swap the entire system due to a dodgy controller.

Nah, haven't spoken to them, just an assumption on my part that they'd want the whole thing back. I'll get in touch and find out. Cheers.

Associate
I've had a whole bunch of 360 pads which were dodgey out of the box, both the analog stick and the triggers. Went through several replacements to get a good'un! I've used the red and green pads though, the analog's feel much nicer than mine, and the improved D-Pad is a massive bonus for some xbla games.

My original white pro pad is still perfect, but early pads were made differently, modern pads have a common ground, older ones don't...

Back
Top Bottom