New ethernet ports, speed varying

Associate
I've just had the house rewired, and had cat 6 cable run to various rooms. I've got a gigabit switch connecting them to the router. We've got virgin 200Mbps, and I get 200Mbps when connected to the router, and when connected to a couple of the ports. But I'm only getting 100Mbps on some of them, and only 10Mbps on one of them. What the likely cause here? Problems with the cables, interference? Got the electrician coming out tomorrow to have a look, but would be good to have some ideas.

Thanks,

Soldato
It'll be a physical cable problem. It could be poor termination, poor quality cable or damaged cable. My guess is that the termination is poor.

Electricians aren't the best people to wire up ethernet cables, I've seen them use a flat blade screwdriver to jam the cables into the punchdown terminals rather than using the appropriate tool. Not only will that not give a good termination but it'll likely knacker the module.

Last edited:
Associate
Almost certainly the termination where the wires haven't been punched down correctly. Get a proper tester on it, you might be able to hire one for a day from a local hire centre for less than an hour of the electrician's time.

Back
Top Bottom