New ford focus RS

Soldato
Oh yes..... drives better than the demo car, which had a heavy clutch. First time I've seen my colour in real life on an RS (Magnetic Grey)... and it looks great, pleased with my choice. Really easy to drive, but you can feel it wants to go :D........ once I've got some miles on it and run it in.....
Spent the afternoon cleaning the paint work, as I didn't let the dealer touch it.

The extra alarm and security was fitted as well while I was doing the paperwork.

Pictures will follow once I've had chance to finish the clean and get some taken....

Soldato
Test drove one yesterday, wasn't hugely impressed but then if I'd have driven it before getting new Type R then it would have had a bigger impact. I do prefer the interior over the Civic though. Don't feel there is really a lot of difference on the road overall and most people who claim are just biased fans of one make or another.

Associate
Ive driven both and prefer the Ford as an overall package. Hence ordering one.

The Focus is a little more subtle than the Civic, it is a little barry-boy. Don't get me wrong I took the Civic on a good test drive and it certainly performed, but the fact the Focus is predominantly RWD gives me a little more confidence over the FWD monster. There is afterall only "so" much power you can put through the front without it starting to affect the steering and I found there was a lot of torque steer on the civic...very similar to the ST I used to own.

Associate
the Focus is predominantly RWD gives me a little more confidence over the FWD monster. .

Erm, it's AWD. Yes, it can put up to 70% of its torque to the rear wheels but the confidence you are feeling is due to the rear wheels spinning slightly faster than the front and the torque vectoring when you are pushing the car into a corner/turning. The front wheels still do hell of a lot. If you're going to drive it like a crazy person everywhere you will definitely feel it being more RWD biased but when you drive normally you shouldn't notice it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So it can do this ......

Track03.jpg

And this .....

Track04.jpg

:D

It does feel very different to any other FWD car I've drive, turns in sharper than my Z4 as well.

OcUK Staff
I can bet it feels quick, yes its a poor comparison but I've got a Mondeo Titanium at the moment with AWD and even though it does not have the torque vectoring like the RS it can send upto around 50% of the power to the rear wheels. Can this be felt on the road? YES! Push it hard and there is no wheel spin even in 1st in the wet and push it beyond the limits of grip you can drive it with a lot of confidence beyond grip because of the AWD assisting.

So the Focus RS should be excellent as its a better setup and has the power to take advantage of it. If I was buying a hot hatch I'd be looking at Focus RS, A45 / CLA45 AMG or Audi RS3, because on the road AWD is always a far superior setup to FWD in every aspect.

Associate
Erm, it's AWD. Yes, it can put up to 70% of its torque to the rear wheels but the confidence you are feeling is due to the rear wheels spinning slightly faster than the front and the torque vectoring when you are pushing the car into a corner/turning. The front wheels still do hell of a lot. If you're going to drive it like a crazy person everywhere you will definitely feel it being more RWD biased but when you drive normally you shouldn't notice it.

Sorry for not being a little more factually correct...I had realised it was AWD, but unlike many other "AWD" as you have said it favours the rear wheels and it was very noticeable when I took it for a test drive. The thing that sold it to me though was how much more positive the front wheels are when changing direction. It was so sublime to drive and I cannot wait to get it out on track :)

Soldato
Hence Honda are bringing out a 4WD version soon...... According to the local salesman....

Don't get the comment
"Don't feel there is really a lot of difference on the road overall" Noxia, between what? RS and Type R ??

Yeah between the RS and Type R, people seem to forget they use these cars (in most cases) for driving on the road and not on the track where most the arguments are geared towards. Both very fun cars in their own right but I cannot see past the badge sadly, not that Honda is exactly prestigious either.

Soldato
Haven't driven the Type R, dealer had sold the demo car when I called in a month or two ago.... So far the RS to me feels like no other I've driven when cornering with some speed, agility, turn in, the way the back helps steering, the lack of under steer or heavy-ness etc. Change of direction is going to boarder on violent I'd say when pushed.

The badge has over 40 years heritage, motor sport pedigree, strong residuals, appreciates once old enough, has strong club support etc... nothing wrong with the badge....
RS has never been a "Premium Luxury" version, as some of the German alternative..... it's been the working man's Raylle Sport version to which it's iconic like few or no other..... Else it would have cost 45+K and gone no faster.
It's lot hard for Ford to compete in the middle sector with more limited budget than say Audi, BMW and Merc to create far more expensive versions with less constraints on spending.

When you scratch beneath the surface though the "quality" is more perception and styling as most of the materials and manufacture methods are the same...from the same supplier base.... the more expensive brands just adds a little more chrome jewellery for example.

Soldato
I may have missed the post on here but the official launch of the Mountune for RS kit has now happened.

• Focus RS 2.3 EcoBoost engine increases power output in overboost from 350PS to 375PS and torque increases from 470Nm to 510Nm
  • The kit comprises: a high-flow induction kit (cast low-loss crossover duct, silicone hoses and dual-entry air filter), uprated turbo re-circulating valve and calibration
  • A Ford Performance badge
  • RRP - £899 excl. fitting

Back
Top Bottom