New gaming build + ECC memory

Associate
Hey! I'm interested in building my own system but I have never done it before - I'm looking to build something that can run VR on a budget of £700-1000 (not including keyboard, monitor etc.).. ideally closer to £700 though! It would be fantastic if someone could give me a bit of advice on components for this price range (I will only be using it for gaming, though not just VR).

I have one specific question which may be a really stupid one... I have a computer with way more RAM than it needs and I was thinking of taking 2-4 of the 8GB RAM cards out to save a bit on the build cost, but it's ECC RAM (or I'm 90% sure that it is - it's samsung m393a1g43db0-cpb), would I need a special motherboard etc. is this worth it or would it actually cost me more money to build a system that will support ECC memory? I really don't know much about it apart from the very slight reduction in speed but if it's only 2% I wont lose any sleep over it.

I have no real preference on any of the components, a friend has suggested using one of the AMD Ryzen processors as they are good value for money and maybe going for something like the Geforce 1060 graphics card. I don't have a clue about details such as power/cooling.

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Soldato
Hey! I'm interested in building my own system but I have never done it before - I'm looking to build something that can run VR on a budget of £700-1000 (not including keyboard, monitor etc.).. ideally closer to £700 though! It would be fantastic if someone could give me a bit of advice on components for this price range (I will only be using it for gaming, though not just VR).

I have one specific question which may be a really stupid one... I have a computer with way more RAM than it needs and I was thinking of taking 2-4 of the 8GB RAM cards out to save a bit on the build cost, but it's ECC RAM (or I'm 90% sure that it is - it's samsung m393a1g43db0-cpb), would I need a special motherboard etc. is this worth it or would it actually cost me more money to build a system that will support ECC memory? I really don't know much about it apart from the very slight reduction in speed but if it's only 2% I wont lose any sleep over it.

I have no real preference on any of the components, a friend has suggested using one of the AMD Ryzen processors as they are good value for money and maybe going for something like the Geforce 1060 graphics card. I don't have a clue about details such as power/cooling.

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

taken from Gigabyte for z370 coffelake boards- it'll run ECC but not in ECC mode

1. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  2. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules

also the same for Ryzen but the KEY for BOTH is UN-BUFFERED ECC/NON-ECC modules .
Also running Ryzen chips at that speed, would be crippling to performance

you could get a full new build without splitting your ram or even selling part you would have moved over to free cash

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £949.48 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

using your ram in an intel system where speed isn't as important, can get an i5 8400 which is a hex core unit and push gtx 1070 for better VR experience due to ram prices!

to save costs with ryzen, drop to 8GB kit

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply that's really helpful! I don't understand what you mean about the 'un-buffered ECC/non ECC modules' though? On balance would you have a suggestion for which option to go for - intel with the ECC memory or AMD without? If I understood right the Intel system might end up slightly better because the money I save on RAM can be put into better graphics, or did I totally misunderstand? Also - does the Ryzen 5 need a CPU cooler? I thought it came with one. Thanks again for the help!

Soldato
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply that's really helpful! I don't understand what you mean about the 'un-buffered ECC/non ECC modules' though? On balance would you have a suggestion for which option to go for - intel with the ECC memory or AMD without? If I understood right the Intel system might end up slightly better because the money I save on RAM can be put into better graphics, or did I totally misunderstand? Also - does the Ryzen 5 need a CPU cooler? I thought it came with one. Thanks again for the help!

Buffered ram have a control chip in and used for servers. I believe yours is unbuffered .
Also plugging into either boards will act as non ECC sticks as well :)

The Intel build will be a lot faster due to gtx 1070 over 1060 . For vr want the best GPU you can afford ... New Vive Pro is on pre order ...

Ryzen does come with a good stock cooler but need aftermarket to push to limit..
Coffeelake needs 3rd party one badly !!! Even that 8400 non K chip

Had both ryzen 1600 and i5:8400 system with gtx 1070ti in both, Intel just held the lead in gaming

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok great, so it sounds like intel might be the way to go for me.. taking out a few of those RAM cards won't make much of a dent (the machine has 128GB of it). Although if I'm looking at the right spec the 1070 seems way more expensive, is the intel build without RAM going to come under £1000? Presumably I need a different motherboard too. I hate to ask but would you mind posting a parts list for the intel build because I'm paranoid of buying parts that would be incompatible with one another and I'm a real newbie. Thanks so much!

Soldato
Associate
OP
Ok I've been doing a bit of research about buffered/registered memory... based on this webpage for my RAM's part number : https://www.compuram.biz/memory_module/m393a1g43db0-cpb/samsung.htm it seems that maybe my RAM cards are buffered. Also when I look at them visually there are the 9 modules and in the middle what looks like it could be a register. So based on that and what you've said above, I guess I can't use these RAM cards in a normal build and maybe the AMD that you listed would be a better deal? Although the intel build with a 1060 would be slightly cheaper even with RAM so I'm still not 100% sure whether the intel or AMD processor is the best option for VR.

Soldato
Ok I've been doing a bit of research about buffered/registered memory... based on this webpage for my RAM's part number : https://www.compuram.biz/memory_module/m393a1g43db0-cpb/samsung.htm it seems that maybe my RAM cards are buffered. Also when I look at them visually there are the 9 modules and in the middle what looks like it could be a register. So based on that and what you've said above, I guess I can't use these RAM cards in a normal build and maybe the AMD that you listed would be a better deal? Although the intel build with a 1060 would be slightly cheaper even with RAM so I'm still not 100% sure whether the intel or AMD processor is the best option for VR.

so- its buffered ram which will NOT work in standard Intel or AMD boards, great shame, specially when you have 128GB of it!!!! though about selling it ? like £85 a pop for 8GB!

B CODE
Total: £934.48 (includes shipping: £12.60)

vs

Above would be cheaper using stock cooler with max overclock of 3.7Ghz across all cores

dropping ram to 8GB vs 16GB allows GTX 1070 to be added keeping just under £1000 mark

Total: £1,066.54 (includes shipping: £11.70)

and ryzen with the same spec but keeping stock cooler

Total: £1,046.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Intel has the edge with gaming down to clock speed and IPC - but ryzen is improving , and Ryzen+ is out next month, BUT you'll be forced to buy an X470 board and that jumps up the price quite a bit - you can still buy and use B350 boards with the new chips but you'll have to send the board to Gigabyte to have new BIOS flashed to it . Judging from leaked pricing , AMD will be priced more along the lines of intel just undercutting slightly

ram and gpu prices have shot up, ram is on a constant increase and mining share price effects GPU prices greatly

a method of keeping your ram is to use X299 motherboards! can load it up with 500gb!!! only problem is cost and you'll need a good cooler!

Total: £907.61 (includes shipping: £11.70)

add in storage above and end up costing more with a less powerful GPU which is key to VR​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom