New gaming machine £600

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm after a new gaming pc. Current one is over six years old and whilst it plays things OK planetside 2 gave it a serious kick in the balls. Im a bit out of date with current tech but ive managed to piece together this:

NEWPC.jpg

No PSU, im trying to work out what my current one is. Its a Zalman, anyone know how to find out its wattage? it isnt on a sticker on it ><
Also no HDD other than SSD, was going to reuse the ones ive got. Already bought windows when i saw it cheap in anticipation :)

Just after some advice whether the above is suitable, what sort of PSU i'd need and any recommendations or changes you'd make. Budget is about £600, closer the better im not trying to throw away money but appreciate you need to spend to get a goodun! Maybe ive spent too much on certain bits and a cheaper bit will do.

Thank you for any help =)

Associate
You have pretty much got everything right there, I see no problems. I would recommend a 500W PSU as minimum, if you are going SLI you will need a bigger one. I have the msi 7950 and a 600W psu and it is fine as it is.

Associate
OP
I wasnt going to SLI soon thats for sure which was why i was hoping to keep my current PSU. Any ideas how to find out out the power of it? I found online that the p/n on the sticker may be an indicator which is PPA5000400 which suggests it may only be 400W? Can't believe i only bought that when i built this!

Associate
I wasnt going to SLI soon thats for sure which was why i was hoping to keep my current PSU. Any ideas how to find out out the power of it? I found online that the p/n on the sticker may be an indicator which is PPA5000400 which suggests it may only be 400W? Can't believe i only bought that when i built this!
I think that may be a 400W PSU as well, I would definitely suggest upgrading. Seasonic, Corsair and pc power and cooling seem to be quite popular makes on the forums. Go check them out and I would definitely suggest Seasonic power supplies.

EDIT: My MSI 7950 recommends a 600W or higher power supply so to be safe I would choose go with 600W or higher.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well thats a pain, so much for my £600 budget. Was already over it :p Seasonic S12II 520W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply be suitable? admitably i picked a cheaper one.

edit:
Just seen this: Titan 8300i Exodus" Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz DDR3 Quad Core Gaming PC on the black friday deals, If i add the 120GB SSD the gfx card options available are HD5450, HD7770 & GTX 650 OC. With the GTX 650 gfx option its just under £600. Is the card much worse than the 7950? Or should i just stick with building my own, trying to keep the cost down ya see!

Last edited:
Associate
Well thats a pain, so much for my £600 budget. Was already over it :p Seasonic S12II 520W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply be suitable? admitably i picked a cheaper one.

that should be fine, corsair power supplies are a bit cheaper if you want to go cheaper, but seasonic are a good make and they have a good warranty and I believe there customer service is done through ocuk, but in the end it is up to you.

Associate
OP
Thought i would bump this rather than start a new thread, with pay day i shall be purchasing shortly. Question is regarding the gfx card and PSU. Currently i game at 1600x1200 on a 22" monitor, is it worth spending the extra to get a 7950 with 3024 ram or a 7850 with either 1024 or 2048ram? I've always gone with ATI in the past, and never been disapointed (currently have a 4850 :D).

I am also considering putting my two existing HDD in this machine as well as the new SSD. would a Corsair Builder Series CX 500W V2 '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020047-UK) be suitable or do i need more powers?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom