New gaming pc circa £2000 please

Soldato
Excluding any peripherals / monitors / OS, just the tower, what kind of system for gaming should i be looking for with a budget of about £2000?

I currently have a GTX 1080 which I'm happy to keep for another 6months until the new cards come out and stock settles so perhaps an option with re-using my existing card would be best?

So for around 1k without a graphics card, or 2k with?

I also have a corsair 750w PSU which I could reuse I guess as its working just fine.

Thanks!

Soldato
Yeah definitely wait on the GPU front the 1080 is a great card still anyway. Nvidia Ampere announcement on 31st Aug and due release September if no delays. I'd just get the system and see what reviews are like on the 3080/3090 models etc.

How old is the PSU? If it's as old as the 2700k model is then must be approx 9 years old? I'd get a new one rather than re-use. Especially if you're gonna drop a load of change on a powerful Ampere GPU.

Case is ofc personal preference, you might want some RGB or whatever... But I'd go with something like this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,009.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thank you for your build suggestions. A few questions from my side if that's ok:

Is 16gb RAM still sufficient for gaming? I'm running 12gb right now which seems fine, but still would have presumed 32gb as a standard now for new high-ish spec stuff? Or am I wasting my money going above 16 for gaming?

I've not had an AMD processor since my old Athlon 2800+ (i think it was called that anyway!). Was originally looking at 9900k or its equivalent - is there a reason 3700X is suggested? Is that the best "bang for buck" in this price category?

Thanks,

J

Soldato
I wonder if it's worth you waiting for Zen3/5000 series, no confirmed date but will likely come out shortly after the Ampree graphics cards from Nvidia.

The 9900k is a £400+ 8 core CPU for that money you could get a 12 core Ryzen 9 3900 and as mentioned above Zen 3 is due out soon and there is a good chance it will be faster in games then the Intel equivalents (although if you start playing at 1440p or above frame rate is determined more by the video card).

If I had your budget I would be looking for a Ryzen 5900 (?) 12 core CPU with a MSI Tomahawk B550 motherboard and 16Gb of 3800 memory with an eye on a new video card by the end of the year. Alternately you save some money by getting the 8 core model which for gaming will be more then enough for the next 5 years.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Freddie - yeah im tempted to hold out for zen3 / 5000 as you say - im a bit out of the loop to say the least but i am aware that its also coming soon - but then theres always something around the corner, or so it seems... :)

Soldato
thank you for your build suggestions. A few questions from my side if that's ok:

Is 16gb RAM still sufficient for gaming? I'm running 12gb right now which seems fine, but still would have presumed 32gb as a standard now for new high-ish spec stuff? Or am I wasting my money going above 16 for gaming?

I've not had an AMD processor since my old Athlon 2800+ (i think it was called that anyway!). Was originally looking at 9900k or its equivalent - is there a reason 3700X is suggested? Is that the best "bang for buck" in this price category?

Thanks,

J

Thr Corsair PSU should be fine as PC power requirements are dropping fast and will continue.

A 9900K is one of the best gaming chips it’s just barley faster than a 3800XT, and that chip is a much better all rounder plus it’s on the better X570 platform. Personally I think over the next year games will benefit from 32Gb of fast memory and a Gen 4 NVME drive.

Back
Top Bottom