New Gaming PC for son

Associate
Hiya,

I used to be registered on here way back in the day (overclocking AXIA AMD Athlons with lots of noisy fans!) but my account must have become old / deleted.

Anyway, I am really out of date with things and whilst I usually do loads of investigation myself, I am quite time poor and my sons birthday is fast approaching. I have a 10th gen i5 gaming rig myself that I built 3-4 years ago and now looking for a new mid range gaming PC for my son. i have realised how out of date I am and looking for some advise please! - budget is around £1.2 - £1.3k for the base unit (he already has a 27" Iiyama curved monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

Whilst I have used AMD in the past, I have been an Intel guy for the last 15+ years and I like the stability, perceived or not! So here are my thoughts so far based on limited research...

Case - My son likes some of the Fractual cases, likely mid tower, and I have a Fractual 7 which seems nice, so likely something from their range.

i5 -either a 12600 or maybe a 14th gen (there doesn't seem to be that much difference from what I have read)

Motherboard - here's the real tricky one I am stuck on. The B760 boards look to be mostly limited / basic. I hear that a 790 board with a 12th gen I5 'may' out perform a 14th gen in a B760 board for example. I realise there are other variables as well, such as the Ram being DDR4 in most B760 boards with DDR5 being supported in z790 boards but again I hear that isn't a big performance difference between DDR4 and DDR5 for gaming. I would prefer a full size ATX ideally, just due to space etc.

Ram - not sure if DDR4 or DDR5 - see above!

PSU - I like the look of the Corsair RMe series, likely a 750w

Graphics card - I am thinking a GeForce GTX4060 8GB

1GB NVEm SSD for main drive
2GB SATA 7200 drive for storage

No additional case fans as the case will come with at least 2x 120 or 140 fans

CPU fan - not sure, but something basic / quiet

(my son isn't keen on flashing lights etc. so no RGB's needed etc.)

Any thoughts / advice on spec please! :)

Last edited:
Ah, and the intended use would help wouldn't it! - he likes plying things like GTA5 (and hence will get GTA6 when it's released on PC whenever), BeamG drive, and then also building type games off Steam, such as City Skylines

Thanks so much for the feedback guys - has really helped.

Had a v.busy week at work and just looking through it all now. Think I am going b650-e with a Ryzen 5 7600...

Personally, I have never spent more than about £300 on a graphics card... Are there any less expensive GPU's that would do a decent enough job? - what are the Radeon 7600's like? - are they the best at that price point?

I could do with saving some cash! - might need to be less than £1200 budget :cry:

Also, any stand out performers in the cost vs performance for CPU air coolers these days? - I won't be overclocking...

Just for reference, my existing gaming PC I put together xmas 2020 is:

Asus Radeon RX 570 ROG STRIX OC 8GB
MSI z490-A Pro
10400F 2.9ghz i5
16GB ram

My son has been playing games on that for the last year and I play Assetto Corsa occasionally, and it seems to run everything fine, so that's the level of performance he's currently been exposed to... Incidentally it's completely dead at the moment! - I swapped out the PSU and still the same so I suspect the mobo has died :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom