New gaming PC spec...

Associate
Hi All

Looking for advice for a gaming PC to replace an ageing laptop. Therefore, I don't have any spares or parts I am keeping (exc. keyboard and mouse! haha). In use terms, I'm into strategy games more than FPS / MMO etc. so whilst I'd like something with grunt I don't want to break the bank unnecessarily. My main asks are:
- Capable of running 3 screens - do I need more than a single graphics card? - (game; video; desktop) as I often wish to multi-task. Pushing a game out over multiple displays would be nice to have, but is not a must have. 1080p is enough. No need for 4k which I suspect would see a hefty price tag, but if I am wrong then a little extra for 4k would be something I'd consider.
- TV tuner preferred (if they still do them! - I'm old, please forgive me)
- A machine that runs nice and quietly would be great
- I'm looking for a system build too, as I am out of practice and tbh don't really have the time or skills to put it together myself.
- My budget is flexible, but I'd prefer to come in under £2,000 inc. the 3 displays but could go over that if it's justifiable.

Hope the community can point me in the right direction

Cheers

Associate
Looking for advice for a gaming PC to replace an ageing laptop. Therefore, I don't have any spares or parts I am keeping (exc. keyboard and mouse! haha). In use terms, I'm into strategy games more than FPS / MMO etc. so whilst I'd like something with grunt I don't want to break the bank unnecessarily. My main asks are:
- Capable of running 3 screens - do I need more than a single graphics card? - (game; video; desktop) as I often wish to multi-task. Pushing a game out over multiple displays would be nice to have, but is not a must have. 1080p is enough. No need for 4k which I suspect would see a hefty price tag, but if I am wrong then a little extra for 4k would be something I'd consider.

You can run 3 displays off integrated video these days, and any video card will do this. For 1080P you want a 1060 or 580. For 4K you're looking at much more $ for both the monitor and the GPU. 1080Ti recommended.

There is a happy middle ground at 1440P when you can run with a 1070 or 1080. Monitors are more costly than 1080P and if you're going to get a higher res monitor you might as well get one with adaptive sync ($$) and a high refresh rate ($$)

- TV tuner preferred (if they still do them! - I'm old, please forgive me)

Hauppage and others still make TV tuners, however the olden days when you could get a gaming/TV combo card like an Ati all in wonder are gone.

- A machine that runs nice and quietly would be great

Get a quiet case and quiet fans

- I'm looking for a system build too, as I am out of practice and tbh don't really have the time or skills to put it together myself.

Too tired. It's late.

- My budget is flexible, but I'd prefer to come in under £2,000 inc. the 3 displays but could go over that if it's justifiable.

It can be done

Soldato
@Geordie1881

would recommend ultra wide screen over having multiples - unless you need all 3 for different images being uploaded at once ?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £682.54
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Ultra wide or two 1080p screens with 75hz freesync as your not a FPS person but nice to have smooth gameplay . Ultra wides are nice for RTS as uou get a nice span of battlefield - or cinematic effect :)

Vega 56 can be flashed to 64 clocks giving you £110 worth of upgrade power for free if you know what to do or willing to learn- owners thread is worth a read

I would have suggested RX 580 but prices are still pushed so high.. £300 - might as well get the vega which will last you longer- is more power then the 1070 and can be pushed close to the 1080

Back
Top Bottom