New Gaming PC

Associate
I was hoping somebody would be able to point me in the direction of a good* gaming PC.

I'm not looking to build one myself so would need it pre-built (OCUK look like its configurable) Budget is circa £800 but I dont need a monitor (but if a good deal comes up i could dual screen).

I would be looking to play games such a total war (rome 2/warhammer and would hope it would last a couple of iterations past the latest release (warhammer). I'm not going to be playing first person shooters but mainly strategy games (civilisation etc).

I would like an SSD drive for quicker boot speeds.

I appreciate you all must get these all the time so for anyone who helps - thanks in advance. If you need more information/clarification please ask.

I do need windows too!

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £789.14
(includes shipping: £12.30)

You'd want a good CPU for those types of games and to last you a while, which is one of your wishes. GPU is something that game-makers pretty much "force" you to upgrade more often (if you want the latest bells and whistles in games). So for that budget, I'd go with i5 and a modest 1050Ti which should run most games @ 1080p on Medium settings, if not High. If at some point you want better graphics, it's easy to upgrade and replace the GPU.

This isn't a pre-built but you can post the/a spec in the Customer Services forum, and ask for a build fee quote. Then compare with existing pre-builts prior to pulling the trigger (who knows if an existing pre-built will be on offer in the coming days and make it more value for money).

If you're okay with spending more, the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD is a better choice, for £20 more, currently. Or if you need 1TB of storage rightaway, then a 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD (but I would go with a larger SSD if you could make do with it a few months/a year, adding a HDD later is easy). Vice versa, if you could make do with a single 250GB SSD drive for now, then an RX 470 GPU is within reach of the budget (depending on the build fee you're quoted):

Total: £790.14
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Associate
OP
Danny, thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I think the prospect of a better GFX card will sway my choice towards the second option you have provided. I think i would want/need a normal HDD in it too (and if the 500gb upgrade is only £20 more than the SSD then that seems a sensible idea. What HDD would you go for thats 1TB or 2TB if the cost isnt too much different?

Any ideas on typical build costs?

Soldato
Danny, thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I think the prospect of a better GFX card will sway my choice towards the second option you have provided. I think i would want/need a normal HDD in it too (and if the 500gb upgrade is only £20 more than the SSD then that seems a sensible idea. What HDD would you go for thats 1TB or 2TB if the cost isnt too much different?

2TB is better value for money of course but your choice may depend on the build fee and your max budget. So wait to see (can ask if adding a HDD will add anything to the cost - if it does, then you can simply purchase the HDD separately, easy job to fit and plug in, or pay the extra).

Any of these:

Total: £287.37
(includes shipping: £10.50)

You can't really tell how good your particular HDD will turn out. Any of them can and do fail. But there are no huge issues reported with any of these, to the best of my knowledge. So I'd just go with the cheapest at present.

Any ideas on typical build costs?

They can vary from zero (I remember a post sometime ago by an OcUK staff member saying that for that week only build fees were zero) all the way to £100 (or over for custom liquid-cooling etc). That's just my rough understanding. It's always worth asking for a quote, imo, as you may be pleasantly surprised, or at minimum the fee will/should be competitive with other places.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom