New gaming PC

Associate
So my friend is looking for a new gaming PC with a budget of £1.5K. He needs just the base computer (no monitor and peripherals etc.) His only requirements for the build is a 1TB SSD.

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Associate
OP
Hi - Yes definitely windows for the gaming (steam + origin etc.)

Resolution will be standard 1080P but he will update the monitor later on to something higher resolution so graphics card needs to be a beast for future proofing.

Cheers

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,501.48
(includes shipping: £12.60)

You can get the USB version of Windows if you prefer. I prefer downloading the very latest version from Microsoft so I get whichever is cheaper (USB or DVD).

Once he's on a higher resolution, the Intel v AMD gaming difference will be less/none. It's more pronounced at 1080p but even then good value for money.

Soldato
So my friend is looking for a new gaming PC with a budget of £1.5K. He needs just the base computer (no monitor and peripherals etc.) His only requirements for the build is a 1TB SSD.

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers

I;ve just picked out bits between the two above :)

Ryzen 1600 instead of the 1500x as its more cores and can Overclock to 4.9Ghz with an AIO or 4.7 on stock cooler
Gaming 3 Board due to strong Gigabyte Rep presence on here as well as UK RMA center but OCUK normally takes care of it all :D
Team Group 3000hz over 3200 due to get being cheaper and both will give you the same results, if rendering would have been the 3200 hands down
cheaper PSU, non modular but Superflower are a big OEM - for the likes of EVGA and others

Total: £1,488.48

Associate
Thank you for the suggestions lads much appreciated.

My friend would like a 1080Ti to be included so with the builds suggested above can I make sure that the below card will be compatible with the motherboard etc.? It does not matter if it goes above budget to make sure that a Ti is included.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...s-graphics-card-zt-p10810b-10p-gx-10h-zt.html

Cheers!

Total: £1,610.43

Have left out windows as you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I also think the Ryzen 1600 should be upgraded to better suit the build, but that would put it further above budget.​

Associate
Hi southernorth thanks for the build. What you suggest to upgrade the Ryzen 1600 to?
It depends on what your monitor friend intends to upgrade to.

For 4k/60hz the build I posted is fine as most games will be GPU bottlenecked, not CPU.

For a 144hz/240hz 1080p monitor, the Intel CPUs would be the better choice as they allow for higher average frame rates than Ryzen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi lads - so my friend never got around to ordering his new build but is now in a position to push the button. Is there some better specs which he should use given its been 6 months since this thread was created. I think it would be good to chuck in a new monitor so he pretty much needs everything (except keyboard and mouse). Budget is between £1.5-2K.

Cheers!

Soldato
Hi lads - so my friend never got around to ordering his new build but is now in a position to push the button. Is there some better specs which he should use given its been 6 months since this thread was created. I think it would be good to chuck in a new monitor so he pretty much needs everything (except keyboard and mouse). Budget is between £1.5-2K.

Cheers!

though cases are personal choices - intel one was cheapest to house a 360 AIO
Ultra 2.0 isn't listed on OCUK yet, would recommend Asus Strix or ASRock Xtreme 4

Soldato
missed the screen and extra budget part, so added that and changed the case.

• 1 x OcUK Gaming Gallium Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i5 8600K @ 4.8GHz = £1,442.95
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30
    • Solid State Drive (Primary):TeamGroup 1TB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Solid State Drive (Secondary):Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Security Software:Bullguard Anti-Virus 2017 - 1 PC 1 Year **Offer Price**
    • Case:Bitfenix Enso Midi Tower RGB Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass
    • Lighting:Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic RGB LED Strip - 30cm
    • Storage Drive:Unwanted
    • Graphics Card:palit GeForce GTX 1070 Dual 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • WIFI:Unwanted
  • 1 x Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red= £559.99
Total: £2,026.04 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

can say a few quid going with a 1080p tn screen

Back
Top Bottom