New gas boiler needed, buy online or use a local installer?

Soldato
Our 14 year old Worcester Bosch gas boiler has sprung a leak and failed and will likely need replacing as it's probably not economical to repair given its age. I've been spec'ing out a potential replacement, but I'm unsure of where it's best / safest to buy from, whether to purchase online or use a local installer who is recommended or has good reviews.

My main concern is that our existing wall-mounted boiler setup is a little untidy in the pipework (I should stress untidy, not unsafe). Also the external wall that the flue exits through has some damp and crumbling plaster issues at the base, but not where the flue exits higher up and it's otherwise structurally sound. Ideally we wanted to fix the latter problem before changing the boiler, but events have superseded this, hot water comes first!

I worry that the online services like Boxt, iHeat and Worcester Bosch Fast Track, where you submit photos of the current install, might baulk at these potential issues. Or more to the point, the photos might be accepted but the installer on the day might decide they have issues.

What are people's experiences with the likes of Boxt, Fast Track etc when it comes to slightly non-straightforward installs where the current setup might be ageing and perhaps not in perfect repair? Are they flexible and accommodating, or are they averse to any situation where they can't come in and bash out a straightforward install? Boxt make lots of nice overtures on their website about doing whatever is necessary in terms of pipework etc, but I wonder how this pans out in reality?

Or would we be better getting a local installer to do the work? The trouble with this is it's likely to prove more expensive than buying online, potentially subject to 'price drift' if there are any installation issues and probably not as prompt a service either.

Any advice please?

Soldato
Who told you the current boiler is unrepairable? What's the nature of the leak?

I'd be very surprised if it's not fixable at less than the cost of a replacement. 14 years isn't that old for a boiler, I've got a Glowworm 24ci combi boiler that was installed when the house was built end of 2003 and that's still sound, I had to replace the pump on it recently which cost £70 but even if a diverter valve or the like went it's covered under British Gas home care with a £100 excess which should cover any repairs, and that costs me a few £ a month.

Soldato
Our 14 year old Worcester Bosch gas boiler has sprung a leak and failed and will likely need replacing as it's probably not economical to repair given its age

Nonsense, you could probably buy and fix it for a tiny fraction the cost of a new one, let alone the fitting costs.

Edit: You can also take out cover and they will fix them, even it the fault already happened with some manufacturers. https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/product-service

Soldato
OP
Who told you the current boiler is unrepairable? What's the nature of the leak?

I'd be very surprised if it's not fixable at less than the cost of a replacement. 14 years isn't that old for a boiler, I've got a Glowworm 24ci combi boiler that was installed when the house was built end of 2003 and that's still sound, I had to replace the pump on it recently which cost £70 but even if a diverter valve or the like went it's covered under British Gas home care with a £100 excess which should cover any repairs, and that costs me a few £ a month.

Nonsense, you could probably buy and fix it for a tiny fraction the cost of a new one, let alone the fitting costs.

Edit: You can also take out cover and they will fix them, even it the fault already happened with some manufacturers. https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/product-service

Well, we had a similar leak about 4 years ago which turned out to be from the DHW Heat Exchanger which needed replacing. This proved an expensive repair and the engineer who fixed it said if it happened again (our water is terrible for limescale) then it would make more sense to replace the boiler than repair, given its age. I don't know for sure that it's the hot water heat exchanger again, there's a black plastic pipework connector nearby which is apparently prone to pinhole leaks and this would be much cheaper to replace of course.

I don't want to take the front casing off myself for a better look and besides I've had to turn off the cold water supply to the boiler to protect the electrics, so can't be 100% sure where it's coming from looking in from below. But it's definitely a pinhole style leak that causes a fine, but persistent spray. It kept leaking even with the boiler turned fully off. Only turning off the cold water inlet valve could stop the leak.

We're trying to get a local engineer in to at least diagnose the fault before jumping for a new boiler. But this is proving difficult as the recommended engineer I'd like to use is exceptionally busy (not the same guy who fixed it before btw) and not responding to messages. And it's hard to find a trusted alternative although I'm currently checking some names out.

I did contact Worcester Bosch today to ask about their fixed price out of guarantee repair service. After taking the boiler's details they declined with the excuse "unfortunately, we don't seem to be offering one off repairs for this boiler type at the moment I am afraid.". So that route to repair appears closed.

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior, approx 14 years old.

Soldato
OP
Call worcester out. I think their set cost repair is about £170

Tried that, they declined to help. they charge £298 for boilers aged up to 15 years, which would be fine. But after taking the boiler's details (Greenstar 28i Junior) they said "unfortunately, we don't seem to be offering one off repairs for this boiler type at the moment I am afraid.".

Soldato
I don't want to take the front casing off myself for a better look and besides I've had to turn off the cold water supply to the boiler to protect the electrics, so can't be 100% sure where it's coming from looking in from below. But it's definitely a pinhole style leak that causes a fine, but persistent spray. It kept leaking even with the boiler turned fully off. Only turning off the cold water inlet valve could stop the leak.

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior, approx 14 years old.

If there's howto videos on YouTube then it's definitely repairable by a plumber. :p

Soldato
OP
If there's howto videos on YouTube then it's definitely repairable by a plumber. :p

Thanks for the video. Yes, I've seen a similar video which suggested that black plastic unit was prone to failure, especially if exposed to shocks / vibration. And our neighbours have been doing extensive building work with drilling on the other side of the party wall where our boiler is installed (can't prove there's a causal link of course).

If that's what's gone wrong then I agree it shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Probably more of a problem is finding a trustworthy plumber / gas engineer around these parts who can come out in a timely fashion (the good ones seem crazy busy at the moment).

Soldato
OP
Just a quick follow up. Managed to get a gas engineer out yesterday and it was indeed that black plastic flow manifold which had developed a pinhole leak. About an hour's work to replace, luckily the engineer had the correct replacement part in the van (he said it's a common thing to fail in these Worcester Bosch boilers). So all is good.

The gas engineer said that 14 years isn't too old for our model of boiler and it looked in fairly decent shape otherwise. So no need to replace just yet, although he did suggest prices of new boilers will probably rise significantly the closer we get to the new regulations being enforced as not everyone is going to be willing, or indeed able, to change to alternatives like heat pumps. Anyway, going to kick that particular can down the road for now and enjoy having hot showers once again. Washing hair with a jug in the basin 1970's style gets old very quickly :p

Soldato
Just a quick follow up. Managed to get a gas engineer out yesterday and it was indeed that black plastic flow manifold which had developed a pinhole leak. About an hour's work to replace, luckily the engineer had the correct replacement part in the van (he said it's a common thing to fail in these Worcester Bosch boilers). So all is good.

Glad it is sorted, how much did it cost you in the end, less than a new boiler? :)

Associate
Remember the new regulations dont prohibit the sale of gas boilers until 2035, they will prohibit the installation of gas boilers in new build properties by 2025. The prohibition of gas boilers for sale in the UK will be 2035. Lots of people trying to scaremonger people into heatpumps. Heatpumps need more development to bring their costs down £15k - £25k is lot to find to replace a £1500 gas boiler.

Back
Top Bottom