New gear from CCL doesn't work right

Associate
New gear doesn't work right

Hi,

I just spent 3 days trying to get the new stuff I bought from <somewhere> working right. The stuff I bought is:

ASUS P5B motherboard
2 sticks of Kingston TwinX (2x 1GB)
1x 500GB WD SATA drive
Centurion 534+ case
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU

SIIG ATA133 PCI card for my other devices
ATI X1950XT (from some guy here via ebay :D ).

Firstly, the PSU didn't make sense and then after relaying some info to IRC they guys there pointed me in the right direction, that being combine the 4 pin and 20 pin ATX power connectors together onto the motherboard 24 pin connector and then use one of the cpu connectors on the other 4 pin connector.

Now, this is the weird bit, the machine won't boot directly from anything other than a floppy. I can bring up the boot menu and select the IDE CD drive I had attached to the JMicron chipset. This wouldn't boot XP though.

So, I finally got Gentoo 64 on it. Come to reboot, nope.

Basically, it goes to the black screen with the cursor in the top left and if I press return it reboots the machine, or if I leave it long enough it'l reboot.

Another thing is, in the manual it states that 1 beep during POST means an error (keyboard controller error, refresh time error or no master drive detected). I've detached everything bar the ATI card and still get that beep.

I've tried messing with the bios for both problems and still get them.

The drive is being picked up in BIOS and obviously I can install stuff onto it. So, what's the problem with this stuff?

I'm at a total loss and am particularly fekked off at this point.

Oh and the BIOS was at 1102, I installed the newest BIOS (1504) at still the same stuff happens.

Thanks,
Luke.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont wish to sound insensitive;

But you've bought stuff from a competitor, cant get it to work, and come here expecting support? :rolleyes:

Double check drive jumpers & bios boot order, that'd be my prime suspect.

Soldato
Netvyper said:

But you've bought stuff from a competitor, cant get it to work, and come here expecting support? :rolleyes:

i don't see a problem with that, its after all a hardware site where people help people, not only ocuk customers.

Associate
OP
Netvyper said:

Believe me, been through all that.

As for the jumpers, they're as they came from the factory. Not that there are many.

Luke.

Associate
usb KB/Mouse?

maybe try PS2 if you have them

erm, unplug anything you added to the internal headders (usb/firewire)

cant think of anything else atm

Soldato
Netvyper said:

Harsh!

That's not how it works here, we look after each other ;)

Thats probably the right solution tho, keep it up mate :)

Back
Top Bottom