New gfx card, 9700 just died

Soldato
Top card, the Devil version.
I didnt turn on with connectors, they would not go in so stopped. Son's PC started up after that, so new card still works.

That is my PSU linked.
I found the connector after, silly me did not notice the 2 pin connected to one of the 6pin cables as distracted with seeing the 2x4 first.

I have since updated my gigabyte mobo to latest bios to rule that out, still artefacts after briefly showing windows 10 icon before logon screen shows
I have AMD drivers 17.7.2 which is latest bar a new 17.10. optional one.

Not sure where issue lies at the moment, the card works as proven in sons older PC.
Updated BIOS on Mobo
GFX card drivers latest

Unknown is if its related to PSU supply

Not great, £270 card I cant use

next stop- get yours and your sons pcs next to each other- removed of power connections on his pc and yours. use his mobo/cpu and gpu power cables and plug them into your build and power up!

or just take his PSU out - but im lazy

if this doesn't work- might be Mobo issue - tried your old card back in it

Associate
OP
next stop- get yours and your sons pcs next to each other- removed of power connections on his pc and yours. use his mobo/cpu and gpu power cables and plug them into your build and power up!

or just take his PSU out - but im lazy

if this doesn't work- might be Mobo issue - tried your old card back in it

That was my thoughts as well, just the doing of it and him not liking his CSGo downtime!
I have plugged his R9 200 into mine and that is working fine, that does only use 1x6pin though.

I just plugged my "broken" 7950 into his PC and its working :( . I didn't notice he has 2x6pin at first so never tried in his.

Pointing to PSU/Mobo problem by looks of it, more inclined at the moment to think the 2nd 6pin has problem.

Soldato
That was my thoughts as well, just the doing of it and him not liking his CSGo downtime!
I have plugged his R9 200 into mine and that is working fine, that does only use 1x6pin though.

I just plugged my "broken" 7950 into his PC and its working :( . I didn't notice he has 2x6pin at first so never tried in his.

Pointing to PSU/Mobo problem by looks of it, more inclined at the moment to think the 2nd 6pin has problem.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £11.99
(includes shipping: £8.70)

since both cables are 6+2 , use this with molex connectors and each of the pcie cable sin turn to find which one is gone ? might not be the cable but the plug in port- so make sure you test each cable in both ports - unless its a single cable that splits into two 6+2

Associate
OP
since both cables are 6+2 , use this with molex connectors and each of the pcie cable sin turn to find which one is gone ? might not be the cable but the plug in port- so make sure you test each cable in both ports - unless its a single cable that splits into two 6+2

XFX has 2x6 cable and ONE of them has a 2 pin attached to side. So one of them can be used for the 8pin on the RX580

I have used sons card and tried both my 6 pins in his R9 and both work individually.
So the 2 pin has problem or not enough juice when all connected, which should not be the case for this PSU.

Soldato
XFX has 2x6 cable and ONE of them has a 2 pin attached to side. So one of them can be used for the 8pin on the RX580

I have used sons card and tried both my 6 pins in his R9 and both work individually.
So the 2 pin has problem or not enough juice when all connected, which should not be the case for this PSU.

have to google for a molex to 8 pin PCIe adapter- then you'll be able to see and hopefully get it working

Associate
OP
My old card does have a problem, after 10 mins in sons PC screen blanked. Cable ordered so try that when arrives. Probably strip out sons psu tomorrow after work to see if new card works in my PC. He had new card working in his PC all evening. So pointing to my psu more and more.

Associate
OP
Took sons PSU out of his PC and placed in mine. The new GFX card does not work (same issue artifacts screen, white and pixel mania) which, by process of elimination; implies issue with my Mobo.

The GFX card works with his PSU and his Mobo okay.
I have updated my mobo bios to latest and still not working, I dont see any bios settings which could effect this so now have a card that is not compatible.

Time to ring up OC support I guess and see what can be done.
Thanks for advice all

Soldato
Took sons PSU out of his PC and placed in mine. The new GFX card does not work (same issue artifacts screen, white and pixel mania) which, by process of elimination; implies issue with my Mobo.

The GFX card works with his PSU and his Mobo okay.
I have updated my mobo bios to latest and still not working, I dont see any bios settings which could effect this so now have a card that is not compatible.

Time to ring up OC support I guess and see what can be done.
Thanks for advice all

might be able to help with an Bios setting or issue could have come up in the past and might be able to help @GIGA-Man , since your got a Gigabyte board

also want to confirm, does his GPU work fine in your PC ? and does onboard display work if you leave out your gpu and plug directly into the mobo?

Soldato
Are you able to display the BIOS screens without issue? If so, I'd be looking at Windows if the artifacts start after the Windows logo. Try uninstalling the AMD drivers (in Safe Mode, if need be) then install the latest before playing around with hardware or buying anything. Although the 7950 and the 580 are both supported by the same drivers, they are several years apart so the components installed to talk to the 7950 might be causing problems when talking to the 580.

Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh I am using his GPU right now in my PC as short term measure till newly ordered 1060 arrives. The mobo HD4000 does work but no good for anything but browsing.

@Confused Stu I can display BIOS settings with sons GFX, not the RX580. I tried updated to latest AMD drivers (with sons GFX in) then tried the RX580 again, no joy. Only element of that not done was a clean uninstall first, be surprised if that as two other cards work with current set up.
It is something I can try and will a little later on.

RMA for the RX580 organised atm though, and a 1060 ordered to replace it

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh I am using his GPU right now in my PC as short term measure till newly ordered 1060 arrives. The mobo HD4000 does work but no good for anything but browsing.

@Confused Stu I can display BIOS settings with sons GFX, not the RX580. I tried updated to latest AMD drivers (with sons GFX in) then tried the RX580 again, no joy. Only element of that not done was a clean uninstall first, be surprised if that as two other cards work with current set up.
It is something I can try and will a little later on.

RMA for the RX580 organised atm though, and a 1060 ordered to replace it

Shame , what 1060 did you go for ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Unbelievable this, good job gave son my old system and updated a bit for him.

RX580 shows in safe mode fine on my PC.
Had safe mode up from a uninstall of radeon drivers, then the amdcleanuputility program to remove all traces.

I then started the latest version install non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.10.1-oct6
During the install it flicks between resolutions, part way I had the white artifact screen again BUT when the install finished it showed ok in the native HD res. However, when I restarted PC I again had white screen before windows log on window. I went through the motions of logging on but nothing changed.

Suddenly occurred to me not tried a different monitor so grabbed sons asus 22", plugged in... and it is showing fine...

So the issue is related to my Benq XL2411T monitor and the Radeon drivers. I can only assume something to do with 144hz?

Now have this card (which OC will take back) and a 1060 on route, but the reality seems to be my monitor does not like the RX580 (or vice versa)

Back
Top Bottom