New GFX card replacement / upgrade

Associate
Hi all

after a quick chat yesterday , I'm looking for advice and suggestions on replacing the gfx card I've had die on me last night after several years hard labour on it.

The card that died was a Radeon HD 6950.. yeh i know, I said several years use..!

its currently on a Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core CPU, old to 4.2ghz with 16gb RAM. Have in mind this is PCIe 2.1i believe

I was looking a GTX 1070ti 8gb card but doubtful is the compatibility on the Pcie 3.0 with this card?

I really don't want to go down the route of a new motherboard, as I've no idea what I'm doing there, Im just new gfx card, unslot , put new one in, instal drivers and away we go... etc..

so suggestions on a replacement card in the £200-£400 bracket compatible with the above.

Advice much appreciated

Soldato
GTX 1070Ti would depend on the price, as it's now older series. It's similar to GTX 1660Ti.

If the PSU is as old as the 6950 (did well to last), and well out of warranty, best to replace it before adding new GPU.

Little hierarchy chart (depending on prices) for your budget:

Vega 64
RTX 2060
Vega 56/GTX 1660Ti/GTX 1070Ti
GTX 1660/GTX 1070

Some games will favour Nvidia and some AMD. So for example Vega 56 can trade blows with RTX 2060 in some games, and GTX 1660 can trade blows with Vega 56 in other games. Recommend you look up youtube benchmarks of some of your fave games comparing prospective GPUs.

Also, for which monitor (resolution/refresh rate/Gsync/Freesync/Nosync)?

its currently on a Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core CPU, old to 4.2ghz with 16gb RAM. Have in mind this is PCIe 2.1i believe

I was looking a GTX 1070ti 8gb card but doubtful is the compatibility on the Pcie 3.0 with this card?

They'll all be compatible but with GTX 1070 you already start losing a few frames on PCIe 2.0 v 3.0. So bear that in mind. Higher up you go, the greater the difference will be and the more you'll be paying per frame.

Just looked it up - your motherboard info says it supports PCIe Gen 3?

• Supports New Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition
  • 4 Channel Memory Architecture
  • PCI Express Gen. 3 Support
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X79-UD3-rev-10#ov

Last edited:
Soldato
Bios update might be needed

If I can recall, cards shouldn't be limited if it's full lanes to the PCIe 2.0 slot .
In theory it would offer same speed as PCIe 3.0 x8 ... Only card that currently has issues is Titan V /RTX

Soldato
Bios update might be needed

If I can recall, cards shouldn't be limited if it's full lanes to the PCIe 2.0 slot .
In theory it would offer same speed as PCIe 3.0 x8 ... Only card that currently has issues is Titan V /RTX

You're right. I found that vid earlier while checking to make sure that was the case, but then the vid showed differently. So just double-checked and he was using different processors for each lol.

Associate
OP
Hey Guys.. looking at your posts, am i reading correctly I'm good to go on PCie 3.0 ? some good news perhaps?

Yep monitor... might be an issue.. In hindsight today, the card is to see me through the next 12 months with a new rig next year to be invested in . That looks to be about £3k build but for another day

My monitors are Samsung Rose series (24" 60hz refresh rate) x 2 from about 7 years ago. resolution 1920 x 1080 standards etc . Requiring Dvi sockets.

For the life of me I couldn't tell you the Sync details.

The PSU is 650watts

Im basically just running FSX flight sim and Assetto Corsa using a track ir interface. So no need for any VR rift hocus pocus.

So I'm just wondering if the above suggestions are bit over kill now for my needs for the 12 month period? and a budget of £200 might see me through?? considering ill need DVI sockets ( one at least, two ideally) Old Skool I'm afraid for the moment

Man of Honour
Hey Guys.. looking at your posts, am i reading correctly I'm good to go on PCie 3.0 ? some good news perhaps?
Unfortunately no. As you have a sandy bridge processor, you are limited to pcie 2. Tbh it doesn't make a whole load of difference, except if you're gunning for the high end (eg radeon7, 1080ti/2080/2080ti/titan)

Soldato
Look up the manufacturer webpages for GTX 1660s because some have a DVI. For example, EVGA GTX 1660 XC Black, XC Gaming and XC Ultra have DVI despite the OcUK description saying differently: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1161-KR https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1163-KR https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1167-KR

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £650.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Hi Guys

thanks for the advice, all very helpful and reassuring

What Ive ordered is the Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Twin X2 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card, having the 6gb capacity , the DVI sockets x 2 but also for the 6pin power socket availability. Another thing i noticed was the only 2 x 6 pin that was available off my PSU left and no 8 pin power option that others required.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06d-in.html

fingers crossed that all works and I'm up and running again for this weekend.

Man of Honour
Send it back and get a 1660ti for the same-ish price and 35% performance advantage.
1060 is 2 years old tech.
#avoid

Soldato
As above, cancel. Absolutely no reason to pay more for less. Why did you go for that one? Have you watched old youtube videos recommending it that are now out of date?

Even the GTX 1660 at £200 is faster, man.

Just need a HDMI-to-DVI adapter, along with the one DVI.

Soldato
If it's due to not finding a 1660 with a 6-pin, then you can buy a new PSU for the same money you're spending, and get faster performance with 1660 instead of 1060?

Associate
OP
perhaps its my train of thought of smallest hassle factor .. its way better than the HIS 6950 that died.

its 6 pin and ready to go when its delivered. simply (fingers crossed) instal new drivers, plug in existing framework and away we go.

If id gone for the new PSU, replug all the spaghetti etc..for the same price, grant you performance variance. Though also consider I'm only running Asseto Corsa, FSX.
This rig will now see me through the year and a new rig in 12 months time with significantly higher spec.

Totally understand your valid points about the 1660... simply out with the old, in with the new'er' and I'm up and running again..

Back
Top Bottom