New GMMK Pro - mechanical keyboard

Associate
After all these months they still haven't fixed their stabs and the alu plate is still incompatible with 3rd party stabs from what I'm reading...

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on this, might get the Q1 instead, seems like Keychron fixed most of the issues.

Surprisingly my delivery is due today despite it being the ordinary DPD delivery, props to OCUK!

But my Durock V2s probably won't arrive till Tuesday. I can see if these latest batches have any improvements. Not sure if the box has a manufacturing date on it, I guess there is always a chance even buying now you get old stock.

If they don't fit I'll complain to Glorious, it isn't OCUKs fault. I've read one or two posts from America where Glorious sent out a replacement plate, but I'm guessing they were for buyers direct from Glorious. I don't want to be sanding down any part of the keyboard as I don't want to run the risk a future warranty claim is voided.

I know the aftermarket FR4 plate is widely regarded, but forced additional expense isn't acceptable.

Associate
Oooft, people weren't lying when they said the original stabs are absolutely horrendous. My GMMK TKL stabs were better than this out of the factory.

Not going to bother taking apart to sort just now, hopefully my Durock V2s will arrive in next day or two.

So far impressions are pretty good, but the Glorious core software is awful. I knew it would be bad after using the GMMK TKL software. I will have to look at getting onto QMK.

Only thing I am disappointed in is the light bleed when the side lights are on into the side keys, but I knew about this before buying. It's not too bad, but seems like a small design oversight that could be fixed in a model revision.

HK Gaming keycaps are a little wonky for doing the 4 side keys in terms of keycap sizes, but that's not the end of the world. I'd be interested to know though if the GMMK white cherry profile set accommodates this better or not.

Lastly to decide whether or not to upgrade to some Boba U4s. I'm using Ometu silent grays right now and believe it or not they are really nice. Cheap as anything and I lubed/filmed them and its a very quiet and pleasant tactile experience. I have some Boba tester switches and they are noisier but I haven't tried lubing them yet.

Associate
Damn, found what appears to be a hardware issue. My rotary knob presses only register about 30~40% of the time.

Had to message OCUK, Glorious discord confirms the rotary encoder should be fine picking up on each press. As it's a manually soldered/attached part, looks like my connection is faulty.

Massive bummer, wish OCUK did advanced RMAs!

If I push down really hard it pretty much registers every click. But doing this also occasionally registers as a double click. So I assume there might also be some case flex/plate issues? Might be the kind of thing I could fix myself, but if it's not perfect out of the box the last thing I want to do is go tearing it down and then end up with OCUK or Glorious saying they won't honour a warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, found what appears to be a hardware issue. My rotary knob presses only register about 30~40% of the time.

Had to message OCUK, Glorious discord confirms the rotary encoder should be fine picking up on each press. As it's a manually soldered/attached part, looks like my connection is faulty.

Massive bummer, wish OCUK did advanced RMAs!

If I push down really hard it pretty much registers every click. But doing this also occasionally registers as a double click. So I assume there might also be some case flex/plate issues? Might be the kind of thing I could fix myself, but if it's not perfect out of the box the last thing I want to do is go tearing it down and then end up with OCUK or Glorious saying they won't honour a warranty.
This is an expensive board and it should work perfectly out of the box. I'd send that back if I were you.

Soldato
Does anyone know where you can pick up Mac Command and Option pudding keycaps? They seem to be extremely rare as I’ve not been unable to find any!

Picked up a GMMK barebones a couple of days ago and paired it with some Gateron blue switches and pudding keycaps. It looks great apart from the aforementioned lack of Mac keys.

Associate
Great customer service from OCUK, happy to RMA and have set it up for me so I can buy another GMMK Pro just now, get it delivered and then the one I'm returning will be refunded.

Means I won't be without a keyboard for a few days or so, as I gave my GMMK TKL to a friend to enjoy.

Associate
Sad to say I don't think Glorious have fixed the plate. Had to use the strength of Hercules to get my Durock V2s fitted. I guess at least it went no need to file down.

Supplied stabs are soo bad. Much better now. Space is still a bit sticky but I'm going to blame myself for not cleaning the pads well enough with whatever lube Glorious use. Doubt you can call it lube it's like a tube of glue has been used.

Have to open up the keyboard again once some of my other bits and pieces arrive from KBDFans.

Associate
I've got a key that fails to register consistently after not being pressed for a certain amount of time. Then if I push down hard on the key, it functions normally until another period of inactivity. It's the B key. I've tried swapping out the switch.

Soldato
Sad to say I don't think Glorious have fixed the plate. Had to use the strength of Hercules to get my Durock V2s fitted. I guess at least it went no need to file down.

Supplied stabs are soo bad. Much better now. Space is still a bit sticky but I'm going to blame myself for not cleaning the pads well enough with whatever lube Glorious use. Doubt you can call it lube it's like a tube of glue has been used.

Have to open up the keyboard again once some of my other bits and pieces arrive from KBDFans.

Glorious advise to remove the pads.

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/secret-announcement/sticking-stabilizer-repair-guide

Associate
I've just built one of these. Very nice and solid. The stabilisers, though - what were they thinking? It's basically useless out of the box, there's so much gunk inside that the stabilised keys just stick down. I tried cleaning it off but I couldn't get it all out of there. It's like glue.

I had to buy some Durock stabilisers, which was an unwelcome extra expense, and file down the plate a little to get them to fit.

I was hoping to use the Tai Hao raindrop keycaps from my old keyboard (a GMMK TKL) but unfortunately there are a few keys of different sizes and I'd foolishly chucked out the rest of the set. So I bought some Tai Hao deep forest blue keys, which looked okay.

However, because the LEDS are at the bottom of the sockets (why?) and the key legends are of course at the tops of the keys, the GMMK Pro isn't really compatible with backlit keycaps. Very little light shines through, and these deep forest keys are so dark they're pretty much unreadable. With the naked eye they don't look anywhere near as bright as in this photo.

I'm experimenting with mixing the raindrop and deep forest keys. Note also that my deep forest set didn't come with a proper caps lock key, there was just a smaller shift key in that space in the box. Very poor.

I've tried it with some of the white keys from the raindrop set to help with legibility, plus the caps lock key from there (the upside down LEDs mean that the bottom of the caps lock is the brightest thing on the board, which isn't very pleasant). I quite like the dark keys from the deep forest set, so I've mixed them around a bit. Not sure what I'll stick with yet, but the deep forest keys are very hard to see in the dark. I wish they'd put the key sockets the right way up, it would be a much better keyboard if the LED lighting worked properly.

Associate
Got all my additional purchases in now and finished my GMMK Pro off

OzfUzm7.png

H4EOhpO.png

aVwv2Kp.png

kem0V4w.png

Even although OCUK doesn't sell any of the above I won't link to the stores directly. The keycaps are by Keychron *hint hint*

hKmOqj8.jpg

I recommend everything apart from the spacebar foam. Even the thinnest still inteferes with an OEM profile keycap set and I fixed the noise off my spacebar with a holee mod rather than trying to use foam to dampen it. Using Durock V2s and even lubed the spacebar was still a little noisy. The joys of keyboard spacebar stabilisers!

The Boba U4s are lovely for anyone who wants quiet tactile and the limited edition all black switches look amazing. Just be aware they really reduce the keyboard backlight. They have an RGB cut out but a fully black switch, and well, it's obvious it's going to reduce light. A benefit of them though is the backlight bleed from the side lights into the front of the casing pretty much gets eliminated. The sidelight is all I use anyway.

I also find the KBDfans switch pads to be really nice. Adds a little "pop" feel and I think the noise profile is also a little lower still.

For the gaskets I removed the existing Glorious ones off the bottom piece completely and replaced only them. If you turn the top upside down you can see gasket pieces in it as well, I left them as default because the KBDFans gaskets are already thicker and I didn't want any issues closing the case properly.

Stabiliser foam was a simple replacement of the pads Glorious use. I removed them completely and stuck down the replacement foam.

Really happy with my build now, quiet and feels good to type on.

Oh, the only Boba U4 switch I lubed was the spacebar. Tactile feedback isn't removed from lubing, but it's ever so slightly quieter which is good on space. The rest I recommend just leaving as factory. They are ever so slightly spring dip lubed for sale and the effort to open them all up and lube them all just isn't needed when they are this quiet.

However, because the LEDS are at the bottom of the sockets (why?) and the key legends are of course at the tops of the keys, the GMMK Pro isn't really compatible with backlit keycaps.

South facing LEDs are used to increase compatibility with profiles like Cherry profile keycaps. Shorter keycaps can sometimes stick and just not work with north facing LEDs. You tend to find expensive keyboards in the mechanical keyboard scene all have south facing LEDs or some just no LEDs at all. It's one of the things you give up for builds like this.

Mainly because most of the people who will spend hundreds of £ on a mechanical keyboard are also the same kinds of people who will spend hundreds of £ on group buy keycaps and the likes. And with Cherry profile being very popular with many expensive keycap releases, Glorious putting out a board that doesn't support such keycaps would be DOA.

A 75% board is already entering speciality territory as well, because it's non-standard keycaps. You tend to see TKL boards still release with north facing LEDs as these have standard keycaps and the market has more backlit choice.

Try finding backlit keycaps that support the short shift key or some of the other smaller modifiers on a kit like this. It's nearly non-existent because the market buying into such modified keyboards tends to prefer compatibility and form factor over LEDs.

I upgraded from a Glorious TKL to this Pro and it's the one thing I knew I would be giving up. Even on the TKL I wanted PBT keycaps and the Corsair PBT Pro keycaps I was using struggled a bit to let a lot of light through. It was OK, but it tends to be ABS keycaps that are easier to make with translucent lettering. ABS is yuck though.

If Glorious refresh their TKL to bring out a TKL Pro it will be interesting to see what they do with LEDs.

Last edited:
Associate
So I've had my GMMK Pro for few days, it was terrible at the start, stabs were way too overlubed, spacebar would just stick and not come up for few seconds, ended up taking everything apart to clean up, it's better now, except for the rotary knob, it's wobbly and at times it would get a bit stuck when I try to turn it, as if there's a lot of friction, for how much the keyboard costs, I'm quite disappointed, I expected better.

It appears that the overlubed stabs issue got resolved sometime ago, maybe I got a model from an old batch, I should return/replace it and see if the new board is any better.

I was saying to myself that maybe I should have went for Keychron Q1, I don't really need the rotary knob, QMK/VIA support seems better, comes with coiled cable, overall looks like a better value (if you get the assembled version, it's only about 20 quids more), anyone feels the same after dealing with similar issues I had with GMMK Pro?

Last edited:
Associate
So I've had my GMMK Pro for few days, it was terrible at the start, stabs were way too overlubed, spacebar would just stick and not come up for few seconds, ended up taking everything apart to clean up, it's better now, except for the rotary knob, it's wobbly and at times it would get a bit stuck when I try to turn it, as if there's a lot of friction, for how much the keyboard costs, I'm quite disappointed, I expected better.

It appears that the overlubed stabs issue got resolved sometime ago, maybe I got a model from an old batch, I should return/replace it and see if the new board is any better.

I was saying to myself that maybe I should have went for Keychron Q1, I don't really need the rotary knob, QMK/VIA support seems better, comes with coiled cable, overall looks like a better value (if you get the assembled version, it's only about 20 quids more), anyone feels the same after dealing with similar issues I had with GMMK Pro?

Stabs are still awful for everyone, they're only just calling for people who live in America to beta test new stabs from them. Best to either take apart, clean, clip the stabs, relube and then try again if staying with stock. If you don't mind spending a bit more the better option is buy Durok V2 stabs and replace.

Keychron Q1 IIRC doesn't come with a coiled cable now to save on costs. The Q1 knob definitely doesn't, just not 100% sure if they retroactively made that change for the ordinary Q1. The knob version also updated and changed some other things so it's still the best version to get.

I returned my first Pro to OCUK due to the rotary knob not registering presses very well, they happily RMA'd.

Associate
Yeah, looks like I'll have to return mine, I can fix everything but not the rotary encoder, it's kinda unusable the way it is now, and I didn't spend this much on a keyboard just to have a feature that doesn't function well.

Back
Top Bottom