• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPUs this year … worth pre ordering ?

Soldato
Gonna be one of those again where demand is high, stock is low and used market will be booming. Waiting for my 3090 to be worth £2k again .

Bonkers this industry, we took the days gone for granted tbh.

Associate
Hard to predict. Depending on mining.
Last released was the perfect storm.
People unable to travel, for many the first time they spent so much time indoors.
Mining was worth for some, but at current energy prices, very little incentive for the casual person to invest much money expecting decent returns.
The main factor dictating how stock goes on launching is how good the new GPUs are for mining, because miners certainly can make or break demand.

Soldato
People in those countries won't be able to easily buy cards allocated to the UK though.

If the miners are buying palette loads direct from AIB's again it will still affect the UK allocation. If those countries are hoovering up cards and the scalpers get in on it, they will find a way to buy UK cards if they are cheaper and the whole cycle begins again.

Associate
It's arguably unwise to pre-order games, but you are often safe in the long run due to patches if you can hold out. Pre-ordering hardware makes no sense; you could end up with a rubbish product where your only option is a refund or resell. Wait until the reviews hit.

Associate
Pre-ordering hardware makes no sense; you could end up with a rubbish product where your only option is a refund or resell.
You can return it within 30 days for a full refund, if you can pre-order a GPU there's a bigger risk of it going out of stock than the reviews being rubbish. That said, pre-ordering next gen GPU's is likely to be nothing but an interest free loan for the retailer.

Soldato
Based on past experience we won’t be offering pre order or certainly won’t take many as it’s too easy to get burnt now if AIBs decide to hike the prices up $100 plus after launch or it takes months or even a year plus to get the stock.

So won’t be any pre orders or very little it’s far to risky with the current GPU demand and the fact scalpers try to buy everything up.

The fact a £30,000 car oversells in just 40 minutes from launching shows the status of the current world and you can bet only half of those car orders were genuine buyers actually wanting the car as the other half will just be flippers.

Good people should show up and wait in line on launch day to buy a GPU, store needs to stop pre order selling stuff online

Soldato
Sensible people watch the reviews and then decide what to buy.

Instead of pre ordering brand X because they're a fan of that brand. Which is exactly what pre ordering is - fanboy buying without caring how it performs.

Unless you cancel the order after you've seen the reviews but that's hoarding. Not good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll guarantee that people will scalp the hell out of the 4000 cards it seems to be the way we are now and its sad,im shocked you now can buy a 3090 for under a grand these days.

Soldato
I'll guarantee that people will scalp the hell out of the 4000 cards it seems to be the way we are now and its sad,im shocked you now can buy a 3090 for under a grand these days.
mining bubble has burst and UK energy price increases , we aint getting the same perfect storm as last time to add shortages due to covid shutdown

Soldato
I'm not going to pre-order anything until I at least know the prices and their relative power/performance etc.

And I'm not waiting outside a store, OCUK is like 130miles away and likely won't have a founders edition (I prefer their cooling solution) again anyway so I'm stuck with local ,so currys/pcworld or tiny independents, which basically means not a chance they'll have anything or hoping online shopping doesn't end up being a scalpers paradise this time.

Associate
Yes it worked so well last time, people waited in queues while the cards they were supposed to have already paid for were sold to miners etc by the palletload for more money.

Pre-odering anything is for chumps.
I got a 3080 from here, ordered launch day a Zotac Trinity, waited a month and saw they were only getting Trinity OC's in stock so asked to change order, took six weeks waiting in a que. The Problem was people holding out for specific higher end versions like the ROG's/ EVGA's/ Auorus etc.

Back
Top Bottom