• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New graphics card and an old monitor

Soldato
Hi Guys I need some advice....

I'm looking at building a new system soon and was hoping to incorporate the MSI GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card into my build however due to an unexpectedly large bill I'm having to cut something out of my build, I'd prefer to keep the system as is and lose the monitor for a month or two which brings me to my predicament...

My current spare monitor is an old LG Flatron W1941s with only a VGA port am I able to use this with the above graphics card?

Associate
Might be worth using your old graphics card with a new monitor?

Seeing as the screen is what your using all the time, only the GPU comes into play when gaming.

Its likely that 680 prices may drop a bit over the next few months, so you could get one then.

Soldato
OP
Currently using on board graphics on this scrapheap of a so called system.... I can barely run Youtube without issues so that isn't really an option for me!

Associate
Might be worth using your old graphics card with a new monitor?

Seeing as the screen is what your using all the time, only the GPU comes into play when gaming.

Its likely that 680 prices may drop a bit over the next few months, so you could get one then.
If it were me, I'd prolly just get the card and be done with the build, but I'd have to say flinco's is the best advice. Especially after seeing the difference between playing on my 1080p Samsung, and my 768p Acer monitor. Get yourself a good monitor first.

Plus, a good monitor should still be just as good 8-12 months down the line, whereas a graphics card worth £450 now, will be selling for less by then.

EDIT:
Currently using on board graphics on this scrapheap of a so called system.... I can barely run Youtube without issues so that isn't really an option for me!
In that case, consider getting a cheaper card; maybe a 570/580 or so, then grabbing another down the line. That way, you can get some decent gaming done now on a good monitor, then go for all out performance later on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom