• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New graphics card for pc video photo editing

Associate
Hi i am using 970 gpu at the moment what is my best option for a quick cheap upgrade i was thinking eithe 1060 /1050 super any suggestions and i am not looking to spend over £400 i do not use my pc for gaming ,but i am editing 4k video /8k video the latter if and when suitable nle becomes viable ,even think my 42mp and 50mp sony files would benefit from a better gpu when editing lightroom/and plugins .

Associate
is the 970 struggling with photo editing? pretty sure a 1050/1060 would be a pointless upgrade for photo editing.

if it is struggling i think you might want an 8gb card instead especially when working with bigger image sizes.

Soldato
Hi i am using 970 gpu at the moment what is my best option for a quick cheap upgrade i was thinking eithe 1060 /1050 super any suggestions and i am not looking to spend over £400 i do not use my pc for gaming ,but i am editing 4k video /8k video the latter if and when suitable nle becomes viable ,even think my 42mp and 50mp sony files would benefit from a better gpu when editing lightroom/and plugins .

970 should be fine for editing photos/videos assuming you are using a CUDA compatible software, eg Photoshop or Premiere Pro. What you may need is more RAM (not VRAM) your sig doesnt say what you have but ideally be 16gb and 32gb RAM would be better.
Make sure it is using hardware rendering and not software rendering as the latter will be using your CPU not your GPU.

Basically need more information as to what you are using and your Spec for more advice.

Caporegime
In Premiere Pro, you can select encoding settings by clicking on File/Export/Media, and then in the video tab on the right-hand side, choose either hardware or software encoding.

Another way to bring that window up is to hit ctrl+m, then as before, select what you want in the video tab.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I do not own premiere pro ,the editors i have are premiere elements and edius workshop neither support 8k , although later versions of edius might ,davinci resolve can edit 8k raw but very mac projected ,if i start doing a lot of video editing a mac book would be ideal and cheaper than windows based machines at similar performance , with regards to performance gpu ,cpu or ram is all a mixed bag depends on images size and what you doing with them a lot of the time only a singel core is being used in lightroom /adobe so clock speed would score ,gpu only gets used on some effect sliders and ram gets hogged a lot of the time ,so this good choice to have more but nothing definitive https://youtu.be/EoIH1BhQKck

Associate
OP
Ok will inspect ,swapped out my kingston fury hyper x ddr4 2x8 gb for corsair vengeance 2 x16gb after working out that trying to get ram to be compatible to existing ram installed has to exact ,ie i had to return 2 x 8gb of kingston ram just the last coding different 16 instead of 15 ,in fact they would not work at all even if i swapped out completely ,oh well leason learned go to motherboard website and find approved ram .

Back
Top Bottom