New graphics Cards?

Associate
I have the system below and am looking for advice on a new graphics cards as mine seems to be on the way out. I have been getting the blue screen error Video_scheduler_internal_error on a fairly regular basis and not when the system is under particularly heavy load. I have an Nvidia GTX 580. So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers but the error still occurs. I have since removed the card completely and run the system for about a few days using the video output direct from the motherboard without any issues. I have now reinstalled the GTX 580 and have started getting the error messages again so I am fairly convinced it is the graphics card that is the problem. The error occurs when browsing the internet, not even when running games or videos.

- Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini ITX Case Aqua Blue
- Power Supply: Corsair 2013 GS Series 600W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor 3.4GHz
- Motherboard: MSI Z87I Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 mini ITX Motherboard
- Cooler: Corsair H80i CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Primary and Secondary SSD & HDD Options Available - HARD
DRIVES - OCZ Vertex 450 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s and 1TB WD Black Caviar
- Graphics Card: Nividia GTX 580
- Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card
- Optical Drive: 20x DVD±RW Drive
- Internet: Built In 802.11N WIFI
- Windows 10 Pro

So, any advice on a new graphics card that would work well with the rest of the equipment. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Depends on your budget ? Screen and amount of gaming you do .

Gtx 1660 should be out end of this week, and then you've got 1660ti, rtx 2060 with amd Rx 580 and Vega 56 around the £200-350 mark

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tend to play strategy games such as the Total War franchise, They are Billions. I have an old Dell 2407WFP monitor which I have got about 10 years out of to date, I got 9 years out of the GTX580.

I was looking in the £200 price bracket

Soldato
As mentioned above clock that CPU and get the Vega 56 (3 free games) or the GTX 1660 if Nvidia afflicted- you'll see a huge performance boost.

they are billions... addictive
/off topic

Hey, @orbitalwalsh firstly congrats on new kid on the way (noticed in another thread) - do you hate sleep that much?

Secondly, i'm a massive fan of RTS but not early access or rougue-like games (has both qualities) - is this game that good without a campaign to guide you through controls etc or is it that simple? I very rarely play games now but a decent RTS always piques my interest.

Soldato
@Plec

First 2 for first year were aweful, but boom ! Both in cotbeds (bed form ) with pillow and blanket which surprises everyone . Best way to get it all cores very with at the start haha. But no gaming :( did loads with the first one asleep on me... 3 hours at a time... Miss that :(

Game is like crack ! First game, not matter how many videos you watch before hand !
Your first soul crushing defeat is what makes the game . Fact campaign is coming is a bonus ! Would love to have multiplayer though !

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the responses. I'm probably going to go with the Vega 56 you have linked to above or a GTX 1070 which Overclockers help have recommended but they are a bit more expensive. There are just so many versions of these things working out whats worth the extra cash is a bit of a minefield.

Is the Asrock card here much different from the Sapphire card you linked to above. Same memory, cores but core clock speed is 50ish lower, is that clock speed worth the £40? It also started out £10 more expensive?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-002-ak.html

They are billions, massively frustrating but so satisfying when (if) you complete a level. I haven't found a need to overclock when running it even at the end.

Soldato
Avoid the blower card... Loud and hot !
Definitely this.

Would personally go Vega 56 or RTX 2060 over gtx 1070
And ditto for either - and despite only having 6gb of VRAM the 2060 out performs the GTX 1070 in most benches (ti performance) and is a similar price, plus Turing architecture.

They are billions, massively frustrating but so satisfying when (if) you complete a level. I haven't found a need to overclock when running it even at the end.
@PlecGame is like crack ! First game, not matter how many videos you watch before hand !
Your first soul crushing defeat is what makes the game . Fact campaign is coming is a bonus ! Would love to have multiplayer though !

Thanks guys - downloading, hopefully i'll get some time over the weekend to find a vein.

@Plec

First 2 for first year were aweful, but boom ! Both in cotbeds (bed form ) with pillow and blanket which surprises everyone . Best way to get it all cores very with at the start haha. But no gaming :( did loads with the first one asleep on me... 3 hours at a time... Miss that :(

I know what you mean - i miss it too. I used to walk miles at night, with our first, while playing Radio Head's, OK Computer - he seemed to relax with the feeling of movement combined with the sounds of one of the best albums of all time! Our second was far more laid back and slept - but i would still wake up regularly and have to check on her, so ended up sleep deprived due to my own needless worry. She would occasionally be slightly awake and give me a massive grin, as if to reassure me, and then go back to sleep. Yep, really miss it...

Back
Top Bottom