• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GTX 1080Ti slows down afer 5 minutes

Associate
I've just picked up an Inno3D 1080ti X4 and have an odd issue with it. When I first turn the PC on everything is fine and for the first couple of benchmarks all is great and the card is fast. However after a couple of tests the scores plummet. For example running Firestrike in 3DMark I get a GPU score of 28k+ for the first couple of runs, but then it'll drop to ~15k, then ~10k.

I've used Afterburner and the Inno3D software and everything seems normal. GPU temps never get higher than 72 degrees, all clock speeds look good and there's loads of ram available. I've reinstalled the drivers, I've even done a clean Windows 10 install and still have the same problem.

My specs are: i7 8700K at 5GHz, Gigabyte Auros 7 board and 32GB Corsair RAM. I previously had a 1080 in the same setup with no issues at all.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Uninstall the drivers in safe mode using DDU and put your 1080 back in.

Does the problem repeats itself?

If not then return the 1080ti.

There is a very similar thread here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...fps-drops-stuttering-on-high-end-pc.18816568/

But that person also noticed stuttering as well as slow downs with another 1080TI. They've tried all sorts of possible fixes and none of it helped.

So you aren't alone with this kind of problem.

Soldato
I've just picked up an Inno3D 1080ti X4 and have an odd issue with it. When I first turn the PC on everything is fine and for the first couple of benchmarks all is great and the card is fast. However after a couple of tests the scores plummet. For example running Firestrike in 3DMark I get a GPU score of 28k+ for the first couple of runs, but then it'll drop to ~15k, then ~10k.

I've used Afterburner and the Inno3D software and everything seems normal. GPU temps never get higher than 72 degrees, all clock speeds look good and there's loads of ram available. I've reinstalled the drivers, I've even done a clean Windows 10 install and still have the same problem.

My specs are: i7 8700K at 5GHz, Gigabyte Auros 7 board and 32GB Corsair RAM. I previously had a 1080 in the same setup with no issues at all.

Any suggestions?
Is your CPU throttling? Do the physics and combined scores change at all?

What PSU are you using?

Associate
Stupid question for

Any suggestions?

What Case and PSU are you running? I’m guessing that if you have less than 650w you could be running up into power delivery issues as you must be running an AIO or a very good Air Cooler. Also depending on the rating of the PSU the actual sustained power delivery could be much lower if it is say a Bronze rated PSU.

Associate
OP
Don’t think it’s CPU throttling. I’ve put the system back to stock and it still happens. The physics and combined scores don’t change either, just the GPU score.

My case is a Cooler Master HAF X V2 and the PSU is a Cooler Master V1000. The CPU has an AIO cooler and the GPU has 4 fans, all fan slots in the case are full.

I’ve tried a different PCIe slot and it made no difference. Tried older drivers too and still no joy.

Thinking of RMAing it.

Soldato
Don’t think it’s CPU throttling. I’ve put the system back to stock and it still happens. The physics and combined scores don’t change either, just the GPU score.

My case is a Cooler Master HAF X V2 and the PSU is a Cooler Master V1000. The CPU has an AIO cooler and the GPU has 4 fans, all fan slots in the case are full.

I’ve tried a different PCIe slot and it made no difference. Tried older drivers too and still no joy.

Thinking of RMAing it.
Take it back man. If you read that link in my 1st post in this thread you would see someone already did everything imaginable and still can't fix the problem. If you just bought it ask for a refund. Don't RMA it.

Although just a theory, it appears that the built in redundancy inherent your video card have failed in some way. It's not enough to cause your card to completely fail but enough to hinder you from having the smooth gaming experience you expect from it when the card experience a certain amount of load.

If you want to satisfy your own curiosity do the following:
Uninstall your drivers
Reboot
Use DDU in Safe Mode which will auto reboot you.
Turn off your PC once you are at desktop
Remove the 1080 TI
Place 1080 TI back into it's original packaging
Place 1080 into the available PCI express slot and plug it back up
Start PC. Once you are back into desktop install your drivers as normal

Enjoy gaming without stutter and slow downs as you did previously.

Yeah man, don't frustrate yourself you have a dud card. Take it back immediately, don't delay.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Take it back man. If you read that link in my 1st post in this thread you would see someone already did everything imaginable and still can't fix the problem. If you just bought it ask for a refund. Don't RMA it.

Although just a theory, it appears that the built in redundancy inherent your video card have failed in some way. It's not enough to cause your card to completely fail but enough to hinder you from having the smooth gaming experience you expect from it when the card experience a certain amount of load.

Yeah man, don't frustrate yourself you have a dud card. Take it back immediately, don't delay.

Yeah, I think that’s the best thing to do. Cheers mate.

Associate
Yeah, I think that’s the best thing to do. Cheers mate.
Hi man!
I'm the OP of this thread (also mentioned by EastCoastHandle in his first post here): https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...fps-drops-stuttering-on-high-end-pc.18816568/
We're in the same boat, but I still haven't found any powerful solutions. The best somehow working workaround is FPS lock/cap with a help of RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS is bundled with MSI Afterburner) which erased all problems in GTA 5 (I've already finished & deleted it) for me. So, if you're not going to refund/RMA your card you can try to use FPS lock.

Regards.

Associate
OP
Update time:

I sent the card back to OcUK and they returned it as No Fault Found. I plugged it into my system and ran 3DMark and sure enough the problem remains. I contacted them again and they are blaming my system. My MSI 1080ti works perfectly so I still don't believe there is anything in my system causing this issue.

I have made a video of The Division showing the problem with the Inno3D card: https://youtu.be/bEiyF1SVD7E

Associate
OP
No I haven’t tried another PSU, but why would it not be able to handle that card yet is fine with my MSI, even when I overclock it?

Guess it’s worth seein if I can borrow another one to try.

Don
No I haven’t tried another PSU, but why would it not be able to handle that card yet is fine with my MSI, even when I overclock it?

Guess it’s worth seein if I can borrow another one to try.

Not sure which MSI you had (as to whether it just had an 8 pin, or whether it was an 8+6), but regardless the 1080 is rated for 180W consumption, 1080ti 250W consumption. Might be enough to tip a failing PSU over the edge.

In all likelihood probably isn't the cause, but easy one to eliminate.

Caporegime
Not sure which MSI you had (as to whether it just had an 8 pin, or whether it was an 8+6), but regardless the 1080 is rated for 180W consumption, 1080ti 250W consumption. Might be enough to tip a failing PSU over the edge.

In all likelihood probably isn't the cause, but easy one to eliminate.

An overclocked chip can use far more than rated and 3rd party cards are likely rated above the 180W to begin with. More over, PSU's generally speaking don't throttle, they can provide the power, or they crash trying or they blow. I've never seen an issue in which the psu allows X power for 5 mins then reduces power.

Also an overclocked 1080 + overclocked 8700k will almost certainly use more power than a stock 1080ti and stock 8700k.

Associate
OP
Ah right, my bad, should’ve clarified. My MSI is a 1080ti too which I’m hoping to use in sli, it’s a gaming X version currently overclocked to run at 1725MHz on the core.

I’ve also managed to try yet another 1080ti which also worked perfectly.

Don
Ah right, my bad, should’ve clarified. My MSI is a 1080ti too which I’m hoping to use in sli, it’s a gaming X version currently overclocked to run at 1725MHz on the core.

No worries - and makes my suggestion irrelevant.

Presuming you've tried the latest BIOS updates, clean windows install etc?

An overclocked chip can use far more than rated and 3rd party cards are likely rated above the 180W to begin with. More over, PSU's generally speaking don't throttle, they can provide the power, or they crash trying or they blow. I've never seen an issue in which the psu allows X power for 5 mins then reduces power.

Also an overclocked 1080 + overclocked 8700k will almost certainly use more power than a stock 1080ti and stock 8700k.

If it was a completely new build then I'd 100% agree, but a 5 year old PSU (no matter how good), it would be worth ruling out to be on the safe side.

As clarified above, definitely a none issue in this case.

Soldato

Maybe try upping the power limits. The cards can throttle from power use and power use will increase with heat.

Back
Top Bottom