• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GTX 1080Ti slows down afer 5 minutes

Soldato
It was my Corsair Hx850 that needed to be changed, it was bought around 2009 IIRC.
A PSU is kinda divisive in opinions on what to buy.
What I mean is that there are those who frown upon buying one with a much larger margin than needed and then the others who like to buy a larger wattage supply believing that to be for the best.
I'm inclined to lean towards the larger than needed supply.
With that in mind my 6700k at 4.7ghz and the overclocked 1080Ti just manages to draw just over 400w at most, less than 35 Amps.

I do like the Hybrid mode on this Seasonic as it means when in use the fan does not come on, at least it hasn't so far even when using the max that my system draws.

just looked online at nvidia forums around the use of low powered psu's with gtx 1080ti's and nvidia's recommendations are a good quality 600w model with at least 45 amps on the 12v rail (Preferably +10% due to the power fluctuation (higher) properties of Silicon)

here's a link

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1002514/question-about-running-a-1080-ti-with-a-small-psu/

Soldato
just looked online at nvidia forums around the use of low powered psu's with gtx 1080ti's and nvidia's recommendations are a good quality 600w model with at least 45 amps on the 12v rail (Preferably +10% due to the power fluctuation (higher) properties of Silicon)

here's a link

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1002514/question-about-running-a-1080-ti-with-a-small-psu/

I will read that.

When I noted 400w is around the max that I have seen draw from the wall socket for my 750w PSU I should have mentioned that is when using a benchmark. The max that I have seen drawn in actual use of a game is 330w to 340w.
The max that I have seen it draw when all the cores are used on the CPU at 4.7ghz is around 135w.

I personally wouldn't have wanted to have less than a 750w PSU and for me, OTT maybe, I liked the Seasonic Titatium 750w and I was happy enough to pay the premium price that they charge for it. I imagine that a 650w quality PSU would be fine but I'm ok with the 750w and the 62A that it provides.

Our Son has just bought a 1080 GTX GPU and I helped him to fit it and replace his 670 GTX. I also changed the PSU as it was an old Antec 500w which seemed ok (44A max) BUT it offered 22Amp over the 12v rail over TWO rails. That gave a 44Amp in total maximum but split across those rails. As the PSU did not have a switch to flip between single or dual rails I wasn't sure if the internal switching, if there, would be able to deliver the current needed by a 1080 at max draw across a single rail. Maybe I'm getting confused how that type of dual rail PSU works when used with a single card in the setup noted but I replaced it with a Coolmaster V750w that I had spare.

just read that link, seems similar to the situation I had with my Sons upgrade to a 1080.

Soldato

I will read that.

When I noted 400w is around the max that I have seen draw from the wall socket for my 750w PSU I should have mentioned that is when using a benchmark. The max that I have seen drawn in actual use of a game is 330w to 340w.
The max that I have seen it draw when all the cores are used on the CPU at 4.7ghz is around 135w.

I personally wouldn't have wanted to have less than a 750w PSU and for me, OTT maybe, I liked the Seasonic Titatium 750w and I was happy enough to pay the premium price that they charge for it. I imagine that a 650w quality PSU would be fine but I'm ok with the 750w and the 62A that it provides.

Our Son has just bought a 1080 GTX GPU and I helped him to fit it and replace his 670 GTX. I also changed the PSU as it was an old Antec 500w which seemed ok (44A max) BUT it offered 22Amp over the 12v rail over TWO rails. That gave a 44Amp in total maximum but split across those rails. As the PSU did not have a switch to flip between single or dual rails I wasn't sure if the internal switching, if there, would be able to deliver the current needed by a 1080 at max draw across a single rail. Maybe I'm getting confused how that type of dual rail PSU works when used with a single card in the setup noted but I replaced it with a Coolmaster V750w that I had spare.

just read that link, seems similar to the situation I had with my Sons upgrade to a 1080.

:) a 1080 wont draw nealy as much power as the ti version the max is 180w for the 1080 stock vs 250-300 model dependent 1080ti, i have the 1080ti ftw3 and have overclocked it my power draw is well over 300w for the card alone, going back to your sons upgrade the 750w you had spare will be more than enough for his build with the 1080 hell it may allow a bit of gpu overclocking, same here i dont really understand the premis of dual 12v rails fully but from what others say its for redundency in case of falure of one, or if the 2 rails offer lots of amps then dual card setups are good.

i opted for my 850 as i wanted plenty of head room as i push my overclocks pretty high, but may need to change as the next gen nvidia and amd cards are on the horizon and on that i'm thinking of buying 2 either nvidia or amd and opting for a 4k pannel for some epic high fps gaming XD

Associate
Here is the logs for the GPU when fps drops. Clocks stay the same but power consumption drops, along with temps.
0iTjwRN

nEEOBy6

Soldato
Here is the logs for the GPU when fps drops. Clocks stay the same but power consumption drops, along with temps.
0iTjwRN

nEEOBy6

if your clocks stay the same but power consumption drops you have a problem, do you have hwmoniter installed, if so keep a close eye on the psu voltages, as i said i a prevous post a gtx 1080ti founders card will require a good quality psu of 600w with at least 45 amps on the 12 rail, dont quote me but if you have a multi rail psu and all the 12v add up to 45 amps or more you should be ok, if you still have issues check the psu voltages in hwmoniter if they are lower than the 5% tollerance specified from psu atx specs i'd look at a replacment unit.
Sounds to me that your card has power issues which raises two possiblities either the gpu is dud or the psu is acting up.
also images you attached arnt showing up

Associate
if your clocks stay the same but power consumption drops you have a problem, do you have hwmoniter installed, if so keep a close eye on the psu voltages, as i said i a prevous post a gtx 1080ti founders card will require a good quality psu of 600w with at least 45 amps on the 12 rail, dont quote me but if you have a multi rail psu and all the 12v add up to 45 amps or more you should be ok, if you still have issues check the psu voltages in hwmoniter if they are lower than the 5% tollerance specified from psu atx specs i'd look at a replacment unit.
Sounds to me that your card has power issues which raises two possiblities either the gpu is dud or the psu is acting up.
also images you attached arnt showing up
Link to image: https://imgur.com/a/nEEOBy6
I have a Corsair HX850, bought last Christmas. I believe the power supply is plenty right? I can't seem to find PSU voltages in hwmontior.

Soldato
Link to image: https://imgur.com/a/nEEOBy6
I have a Corsair HX850, bought last Christmas. I believe the power supply is plenty right? I can't seem to find PSU voltages in hwmontior.

intresting a corsair 850w model that should have the ability to use single or multi rail use via the switch on the unit, and have plenty of grunt for your build (PLEASE DONT THROW THE SWITCH WHILST PC IS ON I DID THAT AND NEARLY KILLED MY X299 SETUP) in hwmoniter the psu voltages will be at the top and they are labled as

Voltages
+5V
+3.3V
+12V

put the pc under load and have hwmoniter on at the same time afterwards look back and see what the lowest value is

i've just had a look at the picture and its showing the gpu at around 64% load on the power tab, what kind of load are you applying? (game)

Associate
intresting a corsair 850w model that should have the ability to use single or multi rail use via the switch on the unit, and have plenty of grunt for your build (PLEASE DONT THROW THE SWITCH WHILST PC IS ON I DID THAT AND NEARLY KILLED MY X299 SETUP) in hwmoniter the psu voltages will be at the top and they are labled as

Voltages
+5V
+3.3V
+12V

put the pc under load and have hwmoniter on at the same time afterwards look back and see what the lowest value is

i've just had a look at the picture and its showing the gpu at around 64% load on the power tab, what kind of load are you applying? (game)
Under which tab? Image: https://imgur.com/a/gFcQCxa

Soldato
Image: https://imgur.com/a/8eTNVs7
Can see GPU Power but not PSU voltage.

lol go into hwmointer and use the middle mouse button to scroll to the top once there you'll see what the psu voltages are, you have to go to the very top

it should look something like this, not exactly but similar

+5v should show current minimun and max voltages
+3.3v in this area
+12v
VIN3
VIN4
VCORE
VIN6

Soldato
no the stanard version has volatge montering if you at the top where the pc name is just under that is the Voltages and here is where the psu voltages are shown

have got CPUID HWMoniter version 1.35.0 installed?

it should look something like this, not exactly but similar

Voltages
+5v
+3.3v
+12v
VIN3
VIN4
VCORE
VIN6

Soldato
I'm using the Corsair HX850, not the HX850i. The HX850i comes with corsair link. Mine doesn't.

i was just about to ask if you had corsair link, the model you have is the same version as mine, i've had a quick look and it looks like the program doesnt properly support your mobos sensor chip and the recommendations are to use HWiNFO64 instead, cant hurt to download and have a look, i'l do the same

Back
Top Bottom