Living Room with in-wall 7.1.4 and PJ

Soldato
My setup costs a lot less than you think, I'm not spending that much!

There are also the 1800 and 2000 range of amplifiers. The 3 channel ATI 1803 is good value. If you want fully balanced design, and other things like bigger PSU and more cap storage per channel (and power) then go for 2000,3000, 4000 or 7000.

Associate
OP
Means ARC will be correcting the room more than ideally it should (ie less) And room correction cannot magically fix a suboptimal.

I have to compromise this is not a dedicated cinema room. I will not be able to make it optimal.

I feel it will be better than having my old setup bunched up 5.1 with a 10 year old 40 Inch TV

Caporegime
Looks like its going to be an awesome setup. 7.1.4 - very nice indeed! Although I imagine there is not much content which takes full advantage of this? Still good to have though :)

Associate
OP
Looks like its going to be an awesome setup. 7.1.4 - very nice indeed! Although I imagine there is not much content which takes full advantage of this? Still good to have though :)

Well once setup I plan to leave it there for a good decade :) thanks

Associate
OP
So more on this compromise, my wife finally agreed to in-wall coloured speakers and a projection screen that retracts into the ceiling..

I'm lucky I got away with a black JVC x9500 projector mounted to the ceiling, that thing is big.. and we're also painting the walls and ceiling in a blue slate colour, so whilst not the darkest, it's better than having a white ceiling..

The bifold doors have built in blinds, which will help to cut down light, but we won't be having anything like 'black roller blinds' I saw elsewhere, it needs to look like a lounge when the screen is up.

Very nice. Keep posting updates please! :)

Cheers, I will do..

Last edited:
Soldato
So more on this compromise, my wife finally agreed to in-wall coloured speakers and a projection screen that retracts into the ceiling..

I'm lucky I got away with a black JVC x9500 projector mounted to the ceiling, that thing is big.. and we're also painting the walls and ceiling in a blue slate colour, so whilst not the darkest, it's better than having a white ceiling..

The bifold doors have built in blinds, which will help to cut down light, but we won't be having anything like 'black roller blinds' I saw elsewhere, it needs to look like a lounge when the screen is up.

Cheers, I will do..

I would recommend speakers that don't stick out like a sore thumb. If the speakers are white I'd put on the black grilles. To get what I'm saying, get three pieces of white paper and place them next to and under your TV and watch a movie. The white paper will be incredibly distracting.

I'm not sure what colour is best for walls in a home cinema room as I never looked into that.

Associate
OP
Only yesterday i placed an order for a custom made AV Rack, and here's how it would have fit

20248315_10159354753850227_2643782240135198080_o.jpg

However that leaves no room for the future possibility of a power amplifier, fortunately I've been able to modify the order so I'll have an even deeper shelf at the bottom

20413909_10159354881490227_314137856983959589_o.jpg

Associate
OP
I would recommend speakers that don't stick out like a sore thumb. If the speakers are white I'd put on the black grilles. To get what I'm saying, get three pieces of white paper and place them next to and under your TV and watch a movie. The white paper will be incredibly distracting.

I'm not sure what colour is best for walls in a home cinema room as I never looked into that.

As mentioned,

The speakers come with metal grills, we will paint them the same as the walls, they should not stick out :)

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Looks like a good plan so far.
You might also wish to consider acoustic panels on the walls. Given that you're starting from scratch, you might be able to use something instead of what you're already planning for the walls. I met a chap a couple of years ago who'd done it himself. Not sure what he used, but it clearly worked well, and once painted, looked just like a normal wall.
If the amp you are planning to use doesn't have room correction, that's also worth considering, as it can be extremely useful in the right place.
As a final point, you're planned audio rack is looking a bit light on space. Given that you'll be starting with an amp and BD player, potentially then adding additional power amps and other sources, might be worth over-specifying it. As it's a new build, also worth considering given the audio components a dedicated electrical ring, to reduce noise from other electrical items nearby.

Associate
OP
Looks like a good plan so far.
You might also wish to consider acoustic panels on the walls. Given that you're starting from scratch, you might be able to use something instead of what you're already planning for the walls. I met a chap a couple of years ago who'd done it himself. Not sure what he used, but it clearly worked well, and once painted, looked just like a normal wall.
If the amp you are planning to use doesn't have room correction, that's also worth considering, as it can be extremely useful in the right place.
As a final point, you're planned audio rack is looking a bit light on space. Given that you'll be starting with an amp and BD player, potentially then adding additional power amps and other sources, might be worth over-specifying it. As it's a new build, also worth considering given the audio components a dedicated electrical ring, to reduce noise from other electrical items nearby.

We already have plans for framed art on the walls, not sure my wife will go for acoustic panels, but I see they can be arty...I'll see if anything appeals.

It has ARC, anthem room correction - I also have an anti-mode for the subwoofer if needed.

There's room to stack some items on top of each other and my PC desk is right next to it and I can hide stuff there perhaps! :) but worst comes to worst I can put the AV rack elsewhere and use it as a nice shelving unit, and get something else.

I will ask the electrician about the dedicated ring, it's only a few feet from the fusebox

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had my electrician add in an additional ring whilst running a new one in for my conservatory. Unsurprisingly he thought it was pointless. As he was already putting one in for the lights, the additional cost for the extra was minimal. Probably easier to just ask him to do it, rather than debate the logic of why.

Have to say, highly envious on the JVC9500. I've been using a HD550 for close on 8 years now. Still gives a great picture, so haven't really felt the desire to upgrade. For all that, I'd assume the 9500 will almost certainly be a good step up.

Associate
OP
I had my electrician add in an additional ring whilst running a new one in for my conservatory. Unsurprisingly he thought it was pointless. As he was already putting one in for the lights, the additional cost for the extra was minimal. Probably easier to just ask him to do it, rather than debate the logic of why.

Have to say, highly envious on the JVC9500. I've been using a HD550 for close on 8 years now. Still gives a great picture, so haven't really felt the desire to upgrade. For all that, I'd assume the 9500 will almost certainly be a good step up.

Been putting a lot of hours into the PJ already, works pretty well during the day in the dining room with white walls and untamed ambient light coming from hallway and kitchen :) looking foward to settings it up properly on the big screen :)

this is with a relatively short throw and ~80inch wide screen, going up to 120inch wide and 7m+ throw

Back
Top Bottom