New lid - graphics or plain? Matt or shiny?

Soldato
Since I've been riding I've always had a matt black lid, completely plain, which I've always liked (although it is hard to clean). Wasn't a fan of graphics or glossy lids.

However, as I'm getting deeper and deeper into my ongoing midlife crisis I've been looking at various options including some with graphics. Appears my taste/tolerance is changing!

I'm wondering what everyone else has?

Man of Honour
I normally go for some sort of design, but I refuse to pay an extra £LOL just for slightly fancier designs. My current GT Air is Grey with Fluro highlights, it's not boring and plain but neither is it massively flashy and more importantly it was much cheaper than fancier designs.

My Last NXR was a Shakey rep which I really liked the design of but again the price was also very good.

Soldato
I went matt black but with a design on it. However, the way things are going this is going to make me riding in Europe about as popular as Ebola thanks to our pathetic UK government, so I'm probably going to need to change it. I'm off to the Ardennes for a long weekend this weekend, so that'll be a good test!

d6hUozs.jpg

Associate
I quite like graphic lids. Currently have the AGV K5 Guy Martin Threesome but close to doing a buy on the RPHA11 Mike Wazowski... Yes, I'm a child.

Soldato
my new one.. very happy with it

nolan-n87-martz-n-com-scratched-chrome-helmet-1-600x600.png

Associate
Bought an Arai for the first time a few weeks ago. Always worn Shoei, fancied a change, went for a Tour X4. Really fancied the matt finish, but went glossy in the end. (and the obligatory black visor)

DSC3055.jpg

My favourite lid design is the Shoei NXR Beaufighter, such a comfy lightweight helmet too. Not as much airflow as the XR1100 it replaced, but a lot plusher.

04-Z01554.jpg

Gorgeous paintwork on both of them to be fair!

Associate
I've always liked modern helmets with a retro or 80s paint theme. I've just retired my Arai Phil Reed and struggled to find something I liked. Finally settled on a Bell Star Spectre .

Soldato
OP
Well looks like I'm going to the extreme and picking one of these. Most likely the black with red strips/white stars although the US flag reminds me of Evel Knievel. I have a red Panigale and black leathers so some consistency.

I started shopping around and the designs became (surprisingly) more and more outrageous. I was never into replica helmets (especially replica helmets!) but there you go. Opinions welcome! Quite different from the all matt black I have today :) Note, they're pretty punchy at £500+ and I hope that's not because of the GFX. Underneath the pretty paint is the Arai Chaser-X

Helmets.jpg

Soldato
OP
what bike you got mate ?

I've just got this as it fit's my 1977 Z650 nicely ..

https://youtu.be/Q_WcrwwWHlA
That’s a cool helmet. Straight out of Daft Punk! I ride a 959 Panigale so maybe not the best match, although my other bike is a YBR125, still gets a ride albeit rarely.

I watched the vid and he makes a good point about racy lids overladen with GFX that date quickly. Where as the more simple don’t. So now I might go back to black. I’m the worst decision maker. BTW I do like the Revzilla reviews on YouTube. That guys is really good.

Associate
I recently went with one of these:

rpha-70-st-vias-helmet-red-silver-xs.jpg

The red matches my bike and the white adds to visibility (apparently), although I would've been happy with a GT Air or a modular if I had found one that fit my funny head!

Soldato
I've just picked up a Shark Spartan Carbon. It's my first Shark, I used AGV previously but liked the look of the Spartan Carbon and the reviews are awesome. Tried it out today for the first time and the quality of the lid is incredible. Love it. Understated graphics/colours but I think it still looks stunning.

smaller1.jpg

smaller2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom