New midi tower around £60

Associate
Hi all,
I'm looking at maybe upgrading a bit later in the year and would like to do this with a new case.

I currently have an x-clio 3060 plus I think. I'm looking for something similar in size but no smaller that has good air flow and is hopefully easy for cable management.

My current case is quite cramped and has cables every where and I can't see a way to make it any easier with how it's laid out. One of my issues is how close the back of my rx480 GPU is to all my ssd's and HDD as they almost hit each other. The HDD will probably go with the new build as I will probably transfer it's data to a ssd. I currently have these fans for exhaust and intake. It would be nice to be able to use these in the new case.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-s12b-redux-pwm-1200rpm-120mm-quiet-case-fan-fg-036-nc.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-p14s-redux-pwm-1500rpm-140mm-quiet-case-fan-fg-048-nc.html

So really my requirements are good air flow, easy cable management, space for just one dvd drive and it would be nice to have about four dedicated 2.5 inch ssd slots.

Associate
OP
OK it's obvious by the lack response that my needs won't be matched for £60.
So just a midi case with good air flow would be helpful. If I would need to spend more then let me know with some examples please, that would be great. Easy cable management would be my next most important thing after air flow.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
The phanteks looks interesting. I like that I have the option for a dvd drive (I know many don't use them but I have old games that I still play) and has slightly bigger dimensions than the meshify c. The graphics card is long and I worry about the space/clearance between my rx480 and other things.

Soldato
Associate
OP
It arrived today but only 10 mins before I left for work so I didn't get a chance to check it over. I would have hoped the OCuk would have checked that sort of thing before sending it out or mentioned it in the description but you never know. Hopefully I might get a chance tomorrow as I won't be home until midnight.

Associate
OP
Are there any hints anyone can give me to get the best out of the case cooling wise?

As listed in my first post I have 2 Noctua redux fans to add to the case 1 p14s which I intend to add as the second front intake and the s12b which i intend to add to the top as exhaust. Would it be helpful to get a second exhaust fan for the top or just leave it with 4 fans overall? 2 intake 2 exhaust.

Also I have 3 ssd currntly mounted on adaptors for 3.5 inch drives would I be better off leaving them on the adaptors and putting them in the 3.5 inch bays or getting 2 more ssd mounts and fitting them in the mandatory places for ssd's within the case?

Although my build will never look like a show pc due to the colours not matching I would at least like it to look neat and tidy and get good air flow.

Associate
OP
B grade can be a bit of a gamble. I sentnone back as a psu bracket that was critical was missing. The other was a bitfenix nova. Whicj at 14.99 inc delivery was a bargain. When it arrived the acrylic window was lose in box. Fitted back in ok though
Just been through my case and its missing the front intake fan. Not sure why they would have taken this out? Also i have a nice Overclockers UK badge stuck on the side but that doesnt bother me. The rest looks really nice, definitely a step up from my previous case. The whole thing feels much better quality.
Is it worth contacting OCUK about the missing fan?

Associate
OP
Oops. Should have looked harder when buying it. It is advertised as only having one rear fan. I know when new they have a front as well but for whatever reason its been taken from this case. Not a big issue as i already have one to put in but will probably look to buy another.

Associate
OP
Just found two of the same case fans that match the one already in there. I didn't realise how good the original case fans were until I researched. Plus all three will match now. Got them for a fiver each b grade here at ocuk

Associate
OP
Will do when I eventually get time to build it. Might be a while though unfortunately. On the bright side at least my case fans should be with me by the end of the week so I should have them before I get round to it.

Associate
OP
I started building this morning before I went to work and my goodness it's taking longer than I thought. First thing I did was install the 2 new case fans in the front. This was a lot more time consuming than I anticipated, to install the lower of the 2 I had to take out part of the HDD tray to be able to screw it in but I had taken the whole lot out before realising I could take out one side separately
From there things were going ok I mounted the PSU and motherboard and then realised that I couldn't mount my ssd adaptor in the HDD bay which is a bit annoying so I will need another ssd bracket. The biggest problem came when I realised the 8 pin cable from the PSU didn't stretch far enough to get to where I needed on the motherboard. So I used a cable which I used for my rx480 before which is 6+2 pin and did just get there but it was so difficult to get the 6+2 end in the socket in the space available with my CPU cooler still mounted. It took forever. I don't know if it's me or just a poor cable, I seem to remember it wasn't particularly easy to plug into the rx480. On the plus side the cable management so far seems quite tidy so hopefully I get a chance to finish it off over the next few days and hope it works. Lol

Associate
OP
I don't know what to do? I have finished building it and now it won't turn on. I have tried the button on the case and the motherboard. The motherboard has the power button lit so I don't understand how if it has power getting to it why it won't turn on.

Soldato
The biggest problem came when I realised the 8 pin cable from the PSU didn't stretch far enough to get to where I needed on the motherboard. So I used a cable which I used for my rx480 before which is 6+2 pin and did just get there but it was so difficult to get the 6+2 end in the socket

This could be the problem.

Is it a extension cable or the actual GPU cable you used?

If it is a extension it may just be that when you forced the plug into the motherboard one or two of the cables became detached.

If it was the actual GPU cable the pinout will be different and you may have damaged the motherboard or other components.

Associate
OP
I haven't had a chance to check these things yet but hopefully I will later this evening. First thing will be to try and change that cable and hope I haven't damaged the motherboard. Last thing to try I suppose is switching the psu. I have a spare 550w xfx psu i can hopefully try just in case the psu has gone.

Associate
OP
Happy to report that a change to a 4+4 pin cable did the job. All is now working well. I will try and post some images soon. Thanks for everyone's help.

Associate
OP
Here are some pics of the new build
1mvMhxe
H3WyuZE
r1ocG9i
4xnpOAE

Back
Top Bottom