New monitor for Stadia/Geforce Now

Associate
I have been looking for a new monitor forever (feels like), I am still using my 1900x1200, 60 hz, HP LP2475w which I bought in 2009. Its been a great monitor but I need some thing bigger with higher refresh rates.

The monitor is used daily on my windows 10 machine, I have a decent CPU, a i7 9700 but an old graphics card, a Geforce 970. Part of the reason of not upgrading from that GPU has been linked to the monitor with a dependency between any new monitor and any new GPU (that and continually replaying the souls series, so a 970 is fine!!)

Anyway, I decided on a whim to give Stadia and then Geforce Now a whirl, and they both work really well. So much so, I am thinking I won't bother with a new GPU, just the monitor.

I am thinking I need around 144Hz (does it need to be more??, cant see either service doing much more in the short term), and I can probably squeeze in up to a 90cm wide bezel on the desk so around 32", perhaps a bit more. I don't have much depth available, probably on 25cm from the back wall to the front of the monitor. I don't mind flat or curved. Stadia can do 4k, but Geforce only 1080p, so I think 4k for the monitor, probably...

Ideally I would like decent HDR, to be future proof. I know its not done very well currently.

Budget-wise, probably £500-£1000 range.

I have probably forgotten loads of stuff, but can anyone recommend a good monitor for this usage?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not much good gaming capable 4K screens yet.
LG 27GN950 would be about best of current ones.
Though connections are only half way with DP1.4 needing DSC to reach 144Hz and it has only HDMI 2.0 and can't do 144Hz through it and anything over 60Hz needs really lossy chroma subsampling.

Viewsonic has 32" model release coming maybe/hopefully around CES, which would have HDMI 2.1 capable to 144Hz even without DSC.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, every time I look at new monitors, which is every few months or so there are very few choices which seem to suggest themselves. I will have a look at the LG now.

Back
Top Bottom