New monitor - how do i get ubuntu to detect new hardware (22" LG L227WT LCD)

Associate
Am running Ubuntu 8.04 and have just bought from OCUK a shiny new LG L227WT 22" LCD.

Its working but not recognised as i con only get max resolution of my old hardware (1280x1024). I've looked on all the menus and did a bit of googling but didn't find anything obvious.

Also can i (and if so how) install the drivers from the Windows driver disk

many thanks

Diss

Associate
OP
just been told that you can right click on your applications, and select edit menus. Under other is screens and graphics. Check the box then it will be listed under applications, others.

shame its not on the menus by default

diss

Associate
the 'official' way now when autodetecting doesn't do the job is to either completely reconfigure the X server (ie regenerate a new xorg.conf), or manually make the changes needed to your current xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf). You're best off searching the ubuntu wikis/forums for example configurations and comparing them to your own.

Associate
OP
thanks all

but......
this sort of thread seems to demonstrate why linux isn't ready to take on windows :D

something as basic as setting up a new monitor should be simple/intuitive and easy to find on the menus - i fail to see what the logic is to not having the menu as default

Diss

Back
Top Bottom