New Motherboard For a 6700k

Associate
Hi guys. In the process of buying a new motherboard to house my 6700K.

I love the look of the ASUS RGB STRIX Boards and I'm dead set on getting one to compliment my other RGB components. Which is a good choice between the £100-£150 range please? I don't need any with the wi fi adapters if that reduces the price at all?

I would also like to do some overclocking so needs to be suitable for this as well.

I'm confused because some say kabylake and some say skylake. Do both these chips support the same chipset?

Best regards

Associate
If you already have a 6700K, it'll work with any Z170 or Z270 board straight out of the box. Z170 was released with Skylake, Z270 with Kabylake.

It's only if you try to put a Kabylake CPU into a Z170 board that you could have issues. Kabylake is newer than Z170 and sometimes the boards need a BIOS update before they will recognize a Kabylake CPU.

Associate
OP
If you already have a 6700K, it'll work with any Z170 or Z270 board straight out of the box. Z170 was released with Skylake, Z270 with Kabylake.

It's only if you try to put a Kabylake CPU into a Z170 board that you could have issues. Kabylake is newer than Z170 and sometimes the boards need a BIOS update before they will recognize a Kabylake CPU.
That's perfect thanks for the info. Well I'm excited to get the new board. Now it's time to shift on my MSI M5 :D

Back
Top Bottom