new motherboard, no ide doh

Soldato
My computer took a turn for the worst today, so quickly got a sandybridge motherboard to replace it. Only realised it doesnt have an IDE port just now lol.

Will need to get a sata hdd and dvd drive now. Pants. Gonna be too late for order mail now, gonna have to take the retailer hit on this one :(

Soldato
I had to use an IDE drive in my backup PC recently for a few months. I thought I would be the only person still using one! Given the low prices of SATA hard drives and SATA optical drives, you might as well do the upgrade now, especially as the rest of your spec is quite nice. You'll be doing yourself a favour :)

Soldato
OP
I bought a NAS Drive from a friend and the drive is sata, so will nick that and reinstall windows 7 temporarily. Will pick up a sata dvd rom locally on friday night if back in time from Heathrow, or on saturday morning. Leaves me with the ide drive with data on it,.... are there ide to sata converters?

Soldato
I bought a NAS Drive from a friend and the drive is sata, so will nick that and reinstall windows 7 temporarily. Will pick up a sata dvd rom locally on friday night if back in time from Heathrow, or on saturday morning. Leaves me with the ide drive with data on it,.... are there ide to sata converters?

Yes there are converters. You can pick up a cheap one from ebay which allows IDE devices to work in SATA ports and vice versa. From memory you will need to power your IDE drive with a molex from your PSU and you will need a floppy drive style power connector to power the adapter. You can, as Magicboy suggests, use an IDE caddy and another alternative is if you know anyone with an IDE equipped board, to partition the SATA drive you will be using and plug the IDE drive into his machine and copy all the data over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom