New nas build or just go and buy?

Associate
moring people wanted a bit of advice :)
I'm using at present a WD mycloud 3tb which is getting full and now I'm having to use my main system to store stuff on.
Can spec me a nas or spec me a build please,
I'm going to be using two WD red hds in the build so I'm ok in that department
This is for going to be for home use.
Any help would be great.

If this is posted in the wrong place could a mod move to the right place. Thanks

Soldato
Gen 8 yes, VFM it is superb for what it is/costs and beats the conventional market players comfortably. Xpenology is probably more debatable, I personally favour un-raid, though FreeNAS gets some love as does Open Media Vault and stablebit etc. are also popular depending on what you want to do. The 'dumb' NAS market is basically a fight to the bottom, NAS' have moved to a feature based model, VM/Docker support adds the ability to get your NAS to automate your downloads, run Plex from it, handle VPN connections, automate backups etc.

Associate
OP
Is this the one ?
HPE ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Intel Celeron G1610T Dual-Core 2.30GHz 4 x Non Hotplug

I'm going to run plex on and also access it while away from home,
And use to back up from our phones mainly.

Associate
OP
Where about @ that price? Also will this transcode ok with the cpu and 4gb of ram with no bottle neck?
Or is it worth adding more.

Soldato
Can`t say on these forums,as they would be classed as a competitor
but that is with the cashback
I googled it so it is easy to find m8
Can`t say about the transcode i just use mine with xpenology to stream from to my htpc
More ram is always a good thing,got 6gb in one and 8gb in the other

Soldato
Shows as £99 with the money off to me,even if the VAT was added it would only come to what £120?
Price:£158.31cashback £58.00 Final Price:
ShowPrice

Soldato
Obvious where they come from, obvious that you get cash back afterwards making them cheap, that's the way it's been for every microserver purchase i've ever made. As to transcoding the short version is if you have PlexPass you can make use of intel's hardware encoding options for iGPU, if not CPU mark of 2K per 1080p stream is suggested, less for 720p and even less if it's just an audio remux, but the question you need to ask is WTF are you doing transcoding in this day and age? If a device can't support H264 and a suitable audio format then either change it at the server side or get something that can.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I'm tempted to get a 2nd Gen8 before they run out, just to have as warranty for when the current one dies. I don't think I'll ever want to buy the Gen10, it's not suited for what I want (a server, not an HTPC), and seems a lot more expensive (at least to start with).

Back
Top Bottom