New neighbours get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday morning... argh!

Soldato
Ok hive mind, I was going to post this in GD but thought better of it. Had a dreadful night's sleep last night, made all the worse for the fact that my neighbours opposite seemingly get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday. We've been in our new place for 4 weeks now and it's happened every weekend :(

So, woken up by the awful reversing noise at 7.09am today, followed by 10mins of the guy parked in the street clattering around in the van. It's a narrow (one car wide) quiet terraced street so this noise is like bedlam in the morning, there's no way it wouldn't be waking up all the surrounding houses if they weren't up already. Most main bedrooms are at the front of the houses too, apart from those who have converted the lofts. So this is all happening about 5m from your head.

Anyway, would you say something to them? Ask them nicely if 8am might not be more suitable? I know they're well within their right to make noise after 7am but I just think it's rather unreasonable and not very neighbourly... :confused:

And yes, I like my sleep :(

Soldato
I quite regularly do this as it’s a cheap slot, and product availability is better when they pick overnight. Can’t see it bothering anyone unless they had windows open…

Lol, the responses in this thread.

Seems we've moved a long way from here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-saturday-too-early-to-mow-the-lawn.18162705/

Most people in that thread seemed to think that anything before 10am was too early, personally I'm inclined to agree that 7am is too early on a Saturday. 8-8:30am is more reasonable. Spend the whole week getting up on someone else's schedule for work, getting the kids to school, etc. Saturday is one of two days of the week where you don't have to march to the beat of someone else's drum, I'll be damned if the drum that replaces it sounds like a shopping delivery.

Caporegime
Lol, the responses in this thread.

Seems we've moved a long way from here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-saturday-too-early-to-mow-the-lawn.18162705/

Most people in that thread seemed to think that anything before 10am was too early, personally I'm inclined to agree that 7am is too early on a Saturday. 8-8:30am is more reasonable. Spend the whole week getting up on someone else's schedule for work, getting the kids to school, etc. Saturday is one of two days of the week where you don't have to march to the beat of someone else's drum, I'll be damned if the drum that replaces it sounds like a shopping delivery.
It’s for about 10 minutes. If you wake up, just go back to sleep. Anyway, there’s nothing you can do about it, so it would be a pointless thing to worry about.

Mowimg the lawn doesn’t compare. Lawnmowers are loud, make a horrible drone and are used for a lot longer than ten minutes.

Soldato
Standard GD response would be to just sell your house.

Logically though, you've chosen to live in the city where distance between neighbours is absolutely minimal. 7am isn't early, even on a weekend. If you wanted blissful quietness then you'll need to move to the countryside. Although you get the noise from birds at 4/5am then.

Caporegime
It's not like they are chainsawing at 4am.
If someone's asked me to change my 7am slot (I'd never get up for shopping that early) I'd probably change it to 6am! :D

It’s for about 10 minutes. If you wake up, just go back to sleep. Anyway, there’s nothing you can do about it, so it would be a pointless thing to worry about.

Mowimg the lawn doesn’t compare. Lawnmowers are loud, make a horrible drone and are used for a lot longer than ten minutes.

But the effect is the same no, you're still woken up by it?

Wow

Got to be one of the most entitled things I have ever read.

Really? Hyperbole much?

It’s like the OP and Randal don’t realise that they’re literally trying to control other people’s lives to suit their own. The world doesn’t work like that.

Get some earplugs.

Expecting someone to not wake up the whole street with their food delivery is hardly controlling someone's life is it? I'm fortunate to live in a street where our neighbours and us respect each other's sleep and peace and start/arrange these noisier activities for a more suitable time. Sure, I appreciate there will be the odd occasion where it's not possible to do that but being decent neighbours they'll send an apology or give us a heads up. And of course, we would do the same.

The OPs case in point is that they've arranged this for every Saturday, sure they're early risers but because they are doesn't mean the whole street has to be. They can't expect to control other people's lives to suit their own now, can they? :)

Soldato
OP
Ah OcUK never fails to deliver. Hyperbole is certainly the word here! Absolutely hilarious responses.

The OPs case in point is that they've arranged this for every Saturday, sure they're early risers but because they are doesn't mean the whole street has to be. They can't expect to control other people's lives to suit their own now, can they? :)
Exactly. One could argue they're the entitled ones by assuming everyone should be up at 7am on a Saturday. For what it's worth I work with west coast USA a lot, my days are shifted just that little bit later than most others due to later calls etc so my sleeping pattern has followed. Like most other people I know, I enjoy a slow weekend morning and therefore am not enjoying the wake-up call at 7am sharp on a Saturday. Judging by the deathly quiet street at that time, no one else is up either.
I quite regularly do this as it’s a cheap slot, and product availability is better when they pick overnight. Can’t see it bothering anyone unless they had windows open…
It's summer. Everyone has their windows open at night :confused:

Soldato
I don't think its an issue but you should realise the slot might well be 7-9am so not the neighbours fault.

Also guessing you don't have young kids otherwise you'd be up anyway, I class 7 as a lie in anyway, much later and half the days gone.

Back
Top Bottom