• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New OBS means reconsider upgrade?

Associate
I have i7 [email protected] and a GTX1080 but was holding out until I could afford a decent 8 core CPU.
Had planned on i9 or Ryzen 3x but with the release of the new OBS (tie up with Nvidia and new NvEnc means roughly 1080p/fast) I'm wondering if having an RTX for 1080p streaming is going to be better than more CPU cores.

So do i:

Keep the GTX1080 and get an i9 9900k with very fast ram

Upgrade to 2070 and get 9700k with ok ram

Associate
Depends on what you're looking for and which platform you stream on and are you after best stream quality scenario?

If streaming on Twitch, they have a 6000kbps limit (although some go higher and get away with it) so you may need a better preset of Medium. In this case you would be better going for streaming on the CPU.

If on Youtube you might be fine with using Nvenc as Youtube bitrates can be much higher, and we know that bitrate is king when it comes to streaming. :)

Associate
I stream 720p 60FPS with a 970 GTX on NVEnc and i think its comes out well.
I can send you some links if you like.

Associate
OP
Yup Twitch streamer and 8k bitrate user on old OBS with fairly ok quality.
I'm not keen on NVEnc without the RTX quality improvements as its not as good as x264 medium but its what I'm using now as my 2600k cant handle 720/60 anyway.

Its the specific quality improvements on RTX cards I'm interested in, I know if I went to 9900k then i'd be at 1080p/medium no problem and have solid in game experience but I do wonder if giving my lad the 1080 and me going to a card that has specific improvements for this exact use case would be worth it.

Associate
1080p on Twitch makes no sense right now, even 900p looks terrible on most of the 900p streamers i see, unless you have a stream PC then its kinda pointless as you need at least 10K bitrate for 1080p.

Its better to just make a 720p stream look as good as you can get it as most use Theater Mode anyway with Chat to the side.

On my 2700X i can easily manage Medium preset/Main profile 720p60 @6000kbps so a 9900K should be totally fine for this. Also if you're using an 8K bitrate, then even better quality.

Higher resolutions than 720p should only really be considered if you're a bigger streamer that has the view count/transcode options from the start of your stream, enabling those viewers on lesser hardware to still be able to view the stream at a good quality 720p60.

If i was you, streamer or not, i would upgrade the CPU first with a nice board and some nice 3000Mhz+ DDR4 RAM :)

Associate
OP
I would agree with everything you say MrBrains regarding 1080/720 on Twitch apart from Twitch doesn't have a 6k limit.

That is until I checked VOD's and it looks better on 1080, the gameplay is slightly worse but the improvement in static graphics and my camera make the 1080 worth it. It looks better on lower resolutions when sending in a higher quality stream too.

So while the 720/60 is all that's needed, I want it to look as best it can and I'll always restarts stream/OBS until I get transcodes so the lower bandwidth/hardware users can still watch.

CPU and board it is, I can do more with a 9900k than a new GFX card anyway and when using After Effects i'll no longer have to make dinner in between renders

Associate
I would agree with everything you say MyBrains regarding 1080/720 on Twitch apart from Twitch doesn't have a 6k limit.

That is until I checked VOD's and it looks better on 1080, the gameplay is slightly worse but the improvement in static graphics and my camera make the 1080 worth it. It looks better on lower resolutions when sending in a higher quality stream too.

So while the 720/60 is all that's needed, I want it to look as best it can and I'll always restarts stream/OBS until I get transcodes so the lower bandwidth/hardware users can still watch.

CPU and board it is, I can do more with a 9900k than a new GFX card anyway and when using After Effects i'll no longer have to make dinner in between renders

They must have changed some things over the past year, 8500kbps was a limit for a while, on my non partner test stream account i get this error at 8900kbps+ where 8800kbps streams ok.

UuNJKZo.png

It might be higher for Affiliates and Full Partners, try 9000kbps next time you stream and see if you get this error. I've not streamed much lately so wont be testing my Affiliate account for this (happy using 6000kbps) but im sure Full Partners get what they want, anyone else will likely get that above error.

Also, the 6000kbps is the official..
  • Recommended bitrate range - 3-6 megabits per second
https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460-broadcast-requirements#BroadcastRequirements

Twitch streamer Ngotie uses Nvenc, he is a Full Partner and i think he uses a 980ti.. his stream quality looks amazing, once you get the right settings it can look fantastic but you really need to know how to set it up.

Anyway enjoy your new setup when you get it all put together, i streamed with a 2700K not so many years ago, its a huge upgrade to an 8c 16t when streaming :)

Permabanned
As already said more cpu cores help, We recently (as in 2016/2017) saw a lot of video's and reviews showing how more cores were important for streamers, At the time they were comparing 6 & 8 core Ryzen cpu's to 4 core Intel cpu's & more than 4 cores made for a better end product (your stream) so if you can wait for 7nm Ryzen do so as then you'll be able to compare with Intels i7's & 9's & possibly get a better deal than you could today but if you can't or don't intend to wait the best all out option is an i9 or i7 but if you want to save where you can an 8 core Ryzen 2000 series isn't far behind.

Associate
Am i missing something? Was using nvenc with the 1080 I had 2 years ago, Is this Nvenc 2 or something ?

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/nvenc-performance-improvements-release-candidate.98950/

The new release candidate includes a new implementation of NVIDIA's NVENC encoder in OBS using the new NVIDIA SDK as well as implementing some new performance improvements. Specifically, the main improvement in this build is that frames from OBS are no longer sent to system RAM prior to being sent to the NVENC encoder -- instead, the frames are sent directly from VRAM, which should noticeably reduce resource usage.

The quality improvements you may have been hearing about will largely only be seen on Turing GPUs (RTX 20XX), but the performance improvements should be measurable on all GPUs that have NVENC (GTX 6XX and higher).

https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/23.0.0-rc2

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-23-0-release-candidate.100204/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Despite me still rocking the 2600k I now have available funds for this and if I don't buy soon I'll no doubt waste those funds on life and bills.

I'd love to wait and see how good Ryzen 3 is going to be and what Intel do in response but that's 3 months until we see them and another 8(ish) before we see whats next for Intel......if they skip direct to 7nm then its an even longer wait.

Back
Top Bottom