New OLED TV

So my brother is shopping for a TV. Currently has an old 720 plasma! (Over £4K when bought!)

So far we can't see any reason not to buy a LG B7 Series OLED55B7V ‑ 55". 55" is the biggest due to cabinet. Picture quality seems about as good as anything and they can be had for £2k. Has a speaker set up.

The only thing that may put him off is HDR and the recent announcement of a 900 nits screen from Philips which I assume will be available for 55" screens as well. Worth waiting for as I guess this will help with HDR content (feeling like if he keeps waiting he will never buy anything :) )

Soldato
Tech is evolving so quickly at the moment, is not worth worrying about the latest evolution as it's being superseded by the next gen before it takes a foothold anyway.

Simply get your mate to buy the best value tech with the features wanted at a price point he is happy with that won't result in buyers remorse.

In OLED case the B7 is pretty much that.

Caporegime
2018 sets are rumoured to have HDMI 2.1 though which could introduce 4k @ 120hz if he uses the TV for PC gaming.

I've moved my gaming away from a monitor to a 55B7 and it blows me away every time I game on it, even just simple things like the colour of custom cars on GTA V look phenomenal compared to a monitor.

Depending on what his main viewing is on TV he could be better served with one of the alternative OLEDs, the Sony and Panasonic handle motion better for example if he watches football.

Caporegime
Which 720p plasma does he have that cost over 4k ?

Yep, my Panasonic TH-50PHD8 was £3000 in 2005 and that was 1368x768 resolution, so only technically 720p, though it could accept a 1080p signal.

And a few months ago I ended up taking it to the recycling centre :(

Worked fine, but I couldn't even give it away. It weighed a ton and didn't even have an aerial input.

Man of Honour
I went from a 55" 2016 Bravia to a 65" LG B7 this week and the OLED is growing on me....the screen isn't as bright but it's plenty bright enough, colours seem more natural, and the blacks are sublime. The picture is possibly better than my old Panasonic plasma which I had for 9 years, but then the B7 cost 4x what that did (I've never previously spent more than £700 on a TV) so you could argue it darn well should!

I swapped from the Bravia firstly for screen size but also because it had weird issues with its optical output failing >50% of the time when handling Sky Q audio. Apparently there was a firmware fix but didn't seem to help. Also found the Andriod interface over complicated.

Caporegime
Yep, my Panasonic TH-50PHD8 was £3000 in 2005 and that was 1368x768 resolution, so only technically 720p, though it could accept a 1080p signal.

And a few months ago I ended up taking it to the recycling centre :(

Worked fine, but I couldn't even give it away. It weighed a ton and didn't even have an aerial input.

Ooh you fancy pants with 720p screens. We paid over £3k for an Panasonic SD plasma when it came out. :p

To hijack the thread slightly - What's the difference between the B7 and E7. Is it literally just the speakers and exterior design (I know the processor and screen are the same). Is it worth it for the minor increase in cost of it's going to be wall mounted? Presumably the Panasonic and Sony aren't worth the extra?

Caporegime
I'd assume that but I've read they don't. Only major difference being the E and above are attached to the glass or something, whereas the B is not?

Soldato
I have a B7 and I’m very happy with it. Sometimes the colour saturation can be a bit wonky but it’s still a fabulous tv that I have no intention of replacing for a while.... (maybe... lol)....

Back
Top Bottom