New opportunity

Associate
At a cross road in my life, i have worked for one company since I was 21 (now 38) working for a food manufacturers and worked up to Production Manager, currently feeling a lot underappreciated and underpaid.
I know full well if I went to see the manager I won't get a wage increase so put my CV on a few websites to see what was about.
2 months ago a big multinational company asked me to go for an interview for production manager, a role that was roughly twice my current salary with room for progression.
Missed out as I didn't have quite what they where looking for.
Anyway 2 weeks ago got a phone call from the agency who handles there recruitment asking me if I was still on the lookout for a job as the same company would like to see me again, I was thinking it was for the same job but ended being for a shift manager which is currently managed with production line staff.

Long story short the new job pays £7,500 more a year than my current role but my commute goes from 20 miles a day to 90 miles.
On the plus side they are big enough that given the right guidance and hard work on my part I think I could move about within the company and progress a lot further then I ever would with my current employer.

I do worry that the distance is a bit much to be doing daily but loads of people must do it, and also the moving from a job I know and would have to something really serious to end up out of a job to a job were I wouldn't feel totally secure until a year or so later.

Has anybody been in this situation and regretted moving or moved and it's ended up being the best thing they did?

Soldato
Is it 45 miles each way? How long will that take you?

I'd go for it. Especially if you don't enjoy your current role nor feel appreciated.

Associate
OP
Is it 45 miles each way? How long will that take you?

I'd go for it. Especially if you don't enjoy your current role nor feel appreciated.

It's 45 miles each way and about an hours drive.
The more I think about it the more I want to do it, I have picked up a lot over the years which wasn't my job to do but just sort of ended up doing to get the job done.

A new director/operations manager came in and wanted me to pick up even more jobs without taking into account the other bits of my job I already do.

Soldato
It's 45 miles each way and about an hours drive.
The more I think about it the more I want to do it, I have picked up a lot over the years which wasn't my job to do but just sort of ended up doing to get the job done.

A new director/operations manager came in and wanted me to pick up even more jobs without taking into account the other bits of my job I already do.

Being new to a role/team/company allows you to get noticed too. If you go in and smash it hopefully you'll be recognised and if you're not, move again, most likely for another raise. Multinationals usually have quite a few internal opportunities too.

Associate
OP
Being new to a role/team/company allows you to get noticed too. If you go in and smash it hopefully you'll be recognised and if you're not, move again, most likely for another raise. Multinationals usually have quite a few internal opportunities too.

Your probably right, it's for me jumping into the unknown that's the biggest thing in the back of my mind.

If I don't go I think I will regret it tbh.

Commissario
Your probably right, it's for me jumping into the unknown that's the biggest thing in the back of my mind.

If I don't go I think I will regret it tbh.

I've just done a similar thing, made a big jump outside of my comfort zone and going to work abroad. I was bricking it on the lead up to starting this week but now that I'm a few days in it's actually ok and I don't know what I was getting worried for. It's good to be pushed out of your comfort zone and I think you should go for it, especially if you're a) not enjoying your current role and b) there's more opportunity for progression.

Soldato
Just go for it, 17 years is a very long time to be at one company nowadays, especially for your first role.

You tend to regret the things you don't do.

Associate
OP
Just go for it, 17 years is a very long time to be at one company nowadays, especially for your first role.

You tend to regret the things you don't do.

I think I will go for it, just got a few issues to sort out as we have children and I am the dropper off guy at the moment :p

Soldato
Long story short the new job pays £7,500 more a year than my current role but my commute goes from 20 miles a day to 90 miles.

I think you need to do your sums. Because financially it doesn't make much sense to me if you've got a non-electric car thanks to commuting costs. You may well even be worse off.

Assuming you're a higher-rate taxpayer with 40% tax and 12% NI, you're going to end up with 48% of that £7,500 - £3,600 - after tax and NI.

How much is commuting going to cost you? Assuming 230 driving days per year and 30 mpg and £1.20 / litre (£5.40 / gallon). You're going to be doing an extra 16,100 miles per year costing £2,898 in fuel alone. So you're down to £702. Then there's the additional servicing and depreciation costs on your car. I think you can say goodbye to that £702. Can you move? What is the cost of moving? Will your prospective employer help with that?

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato
I think you need to do your sums. Because financially it doesn't make much sense to me if you've got a non-electric car thanks to commuting costs. You may well even be worse off.

Assuming you're a higher-rate taxpayer with 40% tax and 12% NI, you're going to end up with 48% of that £7,500 - £3,600 - after tax and NI.

How much is commuting going to cost you? Assuming 230 driving days per year and 30 mpg and £1.20 / litre (£5.40 / gallon). You're going to be doing an extra 16,100 miles per year costing £2,898 in fuel alone. So you're down to £702. Then there's the additional servicing and depreciation costs on your car. I think you can say goodbye to that £702. Can you move? What is the cost of moving? Will your prospective employer help with that?

Good post - always important to properly consider increased costs from changing job/work location.

Maybe the money isn't that important to go ahead with the move, but needs to be properly considered.

Associate
OP

All good points :)
I have had a quick look and taking into account increased NI, student loan, pension and car insurance charges probably £4,000 better off, then say £2,000 extra on diesel so circa £2,000 a year in my pocket so not a massive amount but a step in the right direction I think for my future prospects.

Soldato
Are you really going to get over 45 mpg? And then there's the time spent commuting. You should look into the cost of living nearer. And you should use all this as a negotiating tactic for a better salary package. For instance, you would be quids in if you had an electric company car. A £25K electric car like a Nissan Leaf with zero contribution on your part would cost you £1292.80 a year in tax, plus electricity (or not if you charge it at work).

Soldato
Equally, you could not focus as much on the money (assuming it isn't going to cause issues) and think about your future prospects in either scenario. The suggestion for using the calcs to.negotiate is a good one.

Are there many places closer to you who where you could work?

Let's not forget that this job is shift manager so if you do manage to get the next role within a couple of years you might be better off financially in the long term.

Really, there is no right or wrong answer, nobody knows how it's going to turn out. It's all about calculating the risk and going with your gut feeling. Consider what you'd do if it doesn't work out? What will change if you stay? What will you do to ensure you're not underappreciated in either role? Why are you not appreciated in the first place? Do you need to blow your own trumpet more? Perhaps you need to answer these questions (if you haven't already) before moving, you don't want to end up in the same place.

Success favours those who take risks, even if those risks don't pay off in the short term - however, as I said earlier, there really is no right or wrong answer to this.

Soldato
Well-done making the move I think definitely long term you have made the better move in terms of better prospects. Short term I think you must actually feel better in yourself and a bit excited. Keep us posted how you get on.

Permabanned
At a cross road in my life, i have worked for one company since I was 21 (now 38) working for a food manufacturers and worked up to Production Manager, currently feeling a lot underappreciated and underpaid.
I know full well if I went to see the manager I won't get a wage increase so put my CV on a few websites to see what was about.
2 months ago a big multinational company asked me to go for an interview for production manager, a role that was roughly twice my current salary with room for progression.
Missed out as I didn't have quite what they where looking for.
Anyway 2 weeks ago got a phone call from the agency who handles there recruitment asking me if I was still on the lookout for a job as the same company would like to see me again, I was thinking it was for the same job but ended being for a shift manager which is currently managed with production line staff.

On the plus side they are big enough that given the right guidance and hard work on my part I think I could move about within the company and progress a lot further then I ever would with my current employer.

I do worry that the distance is a bit much to be doing daily but loads of people must do it, and also the moving from a job I know and would have to something really serious to end up out of a job to a job were I wouldn't feel totally secure until a year or so later.

Has anybody been in this situation and regretted moving or moved and it's ended up being the best thing they did?

Hi,

Well, yes, definitely GO for it. Never allow a company to undervalue and underpay you.

Associate
OP
The wife is the one pushing me to go as she see's how I am daily and knows my current employer takes me for granted.
It's me that is the one that worries and will do until I am in place and doing the new role and it's all good.

Hi,

Well, yes, definitely GO for it. Never allow a company to undervalue and underpay you.

I get the feeling the cheque book might come out once I hand my notice in, and it might tempt me but I think a new start might do me some good.

I have always been a safe person and wouldn't normally look elsewhere as it's the safe option to stay where I am but if I don't go nothing will change and it will bug me till the end of time ;)

Soldato
I do/did a similar commute for my current role, its actually not that bad unless you're hitting traffic a few time a week and it can start to grind.

However I would say this, consider how much more time you're going to lose at home. If you are like me, the commute may be an hour but you'll set off early every morning just incase there is traffic. Then if you do get in half an hour early, are you going to finish early or stay in the office and finish at the normal time?

My 1 hour commute each way was basically costing me 3 hours a day away from home. I've just managed to change to home based at the same place and so wfh 4 days a week now if I want.

I have two young kids (2 + 1 month) and theres nothing worse than missing out on this time at home with them. Having dinner with my son, getting to bath him or fool around with him before its too late to get them wound up, having breakfast in the morning together etc. Leaving the house at 7ish and getting back 12 hours later means you miss out on a hell of a lot with them.

Probably easier if yours are older but being homebased now feels like a world of difference in the quality time I get to spend with my kids.

Caporegime
You say it's a 45 mile trip, but don't think of it in miles, think in minutes. If it's non rush hour on a good A road/motorway with not too many lights, roundabouts, junctions etc then it's an hour tops. If it's a 9am start and loads of lights, roundabouts and junctions or a poor A road then you could be looking at 90-120 minutes and leaving the house at 7am and not getting back until 7pm if it's a busy route. That will be a killer for mpg and time and, IMO, make you worse off in both time and mood.

Associate
OP
The mileage is what puts me off, I have driven the route a few times and it's ok 5 mins either side after a motorway run, it doesn't seem to get that busy either.
I'll be on a split shift 6.00 - 2.00 or 2.00 - 10.00 so should miss the traffic as well.
My current 10 mile trip home can take over an hour due to rush hour traffic but mornings are never an issue.

Currently I drop the lad off in the morning and I pick the lad up from his after school club then go get the wife from work as she doesn't drive, so the knock on effect will be the wife will have to drop him off go to work then get the lad on weeks I'm on lates.

The way I'm thinking is take the job get the skills I don't have and either stay for a better job or move to a job closer to home.

You are right though family life will suffer, I won't see my family much on the late shift weeks unless I can get the early shift permanently so might be a chance if the other manager would take the late shift although I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Back
Top Bottom