new pc build

Associate
I am looking to build myself a new pc, I was thinking of the following:

AMD 5200+ 64 Windsor Core
Gigabyte GA M52S-S3P
4 X 1GB Micron Major DD2 PC6400

Now my Questions

1 I hate the noise off stock coolers, but sionce this PC dont come with one, thats a slight problem. I was thinking of a Akasa AK875 I do have a decent case and cooling within the case, so a good quality (LOW NOISE!!!) CPU cooler is my stumbling block

2 Does the 5200+ work well with the GB board, if not what board is a good fast board that supports 6400 ram?

oh yes my budget is @ £250, the above will cost me £190ish

Associate
OP
i was looking to spend the max of £250,

I do play some games, but the only one that i play often is Grand Prix 4 so not that processor intensive, I use it for website programming (www.pumaf1.co.uk) and general office applications.

The bits I am bringing over from my old pc are:

1x160gb IDE
1x Sony DVDRW
1x Sata 250GB
512mb Nvidia 7300gs(modified)
300watt power supply
from fan control panel

I wont be overclocking
card reader

Man of Honour
Soldato
In that case it looks pretty good. The huge modern CPU coolers seem to be your best bet if you can fit one in your case. The Scythe Ninja would be most excellent. The Thermalright HR-01 could be good as well since it's fanless (it includes a duct to attach to your rear exhaust fan).

EDIT: I might be tempted to get the 5000+ Black Edition processor for just £5.88 more. It's an overclocker's chip but at stock it runs at the same speed and should have a higher resale price down the road. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
In that case it looks pretty good. The huge modern CPU coolers seem to be your best bet if you can fit one in your case. The Scythe Ninja would be most excellent. The Thermalright HR-01 could be good as well since it's fanless (it includes a duct to attach to your rear exhaust fan).

I'm thinking about buying the Thermalright HR-01, do you think i could attach a 120mm fan to the other side of the duct blowing cold air onto the cooler, then have the other side with the duct to the rear exhaust? I think this might make a hell of a cooler if it's possible to do that.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm thinking about buying the Thermalright HR-01, do you think i could attach a 120mm fan to the other side of the duct blowing cold air onto the cooler, then have the other side with the duct to the rear exhaust? I think this might make a hell of a cooler if it's possible to do that.
I'm sure it's possible but it sorta defeats the point of the design. If you want to attach a cooler to it perhaps an Ultra-120 would be a better pick.

Associate
OP
well ok, my near final spec:

AMD 5200+
Gigabyte GA-M52s-s3p
2GB DDR3 Micron Major PC6400
Pioneer DVR212BK SATA
Lite on Black SATA DVDROM
Altec 5.1 Surround Speakers
IOSS Aftercool
2 X 80mm Golf ball Fans
1x 120mm Golf ball Fan
450Watt PSU
2x 250gb HDD (1 IDE 1 Sata)
1x 160gb HDD (IDE)
1x 80gb HDD (SATA)
Akasa all in one card reader (int)
Enermax Fan Controller

Now what I cant sort out is a CPU cooler, I was looking at the Akasa AK-876, but the cpper plate just doesnt lok big enough!, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom