New PC Build

Associate
I am after building a new Gaming PC and using my Sound and graphic cards from my old system
I have a budget of about £2-3k Price depending on parts, I use 6 game clients ( EPIC, UPLAY, Steam, ORIGION, Battle Net and GOG. I have 2 questions 1: can I use a SSHD for each Game client if the MB supports it as I will be having my OS on one SSD. Utilities and Music/Audiobook's on another SSD's.

I will be using my old parts to build a HTPC for my bedroom and I already have the case in mind.

** No Competitors **

(So any help with the new build would be grateful)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
My current system is CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz, CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2, GPU: ASUS NVIDIA ROG-STRIX-GTX1080 8GB, Motherboard: ASUS Sabretooth Z87, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 2x
ASUS VC239H 23 Inch Monitor, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, Frameless, Flicker Free, Low Blue Light, TUV Certified.
The GPU and the Soundcard from this system will be used in my new one and the rest as I said be used in my HTPC for my bedroom.

Last edited:
Soldato
On that kind budget first priority should be upgrading monitor to non-medieval one.
That resolution is masochism even for basic use like web surfing, because of not fitting much anything on screen withotu need to scroll down/up.

2560x1440 144Hz IPS monitors start from £300:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...r400-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-14b-ac.html
Then higher prices give newer faster panels and bigger colour gamut (how "bright"/pure colours monitor can shows) than old lowest common denominator sRGB.

Though if you like darkened room, then VA would be better with its way best contrast and black of LCDs giving the best looking image.
IPS kinda requires normal room illumination to avoid its weakest spot showing.

SSHDs are and have always been marketing scams on desktop.
Huge price extra for tiny NAND cache was never any good buy.
Basically for same price you were able to get both normal HDD and bigger SSD for SSD caching.
And nowadays they've justly disappeared with SSD being the choise when speed matters.

Associate
OP
With having 6 different game clients, 32 Utility programs, 20GB of audio and Windows 10 What would be the best way of of storage layout each game client have their own, audio as its own same for the Utility programs and Windows 10 or what other options do I have ?

Associate
OP
I have over 400 games but they are not all installed, I only have the games I mainly play installed, lets call the gaming clients A, B, C, D, E on (A) I have 5 games installed with any DLC they have, on (B) I have 6 games installed (C) 2 games installed (D) 32 games installed not including any OST I have installed on that client and finally (E) I have 5 Games installed some that are installed on another Gaming client I brought twice so one game client as less or try not to have that gaming client but thats not possible since one game is only available for that client and another game on the same client is not available till later on another client so I would still have 5 Gaming clients.
and I don't want to keep installing, uninstalling and reinstalling the game clients to play a different game all the time.

Soldato
With having 6 different game clients, 32 Utility programs, 20GB of audio and Windows 10 What would be the best way of of storage layout each game client have their own, audio as its own same for the Utility programs and Windows 10 or what other options do I have ?
With that kind budget you should be able to afford 2TB NVMe drive as main drive for start.
SATA SSDs are some amount cheaper.

And if wanting big "spinning rust", software like PrimoCache or VeloSSD can be used for caching data on SSD.
Also AMD has free StoreMi 2 which now works as SSD cache instead of more pitfalls having tiered storage of original StoreMi. (at the momenth available only for X570 board owners)
Though StoreMi wants whole SSD drive for its caching use and can't use partition of it (PrimoCache) or make cache as file on existing partition. (VeloSSD)

Back
Top Bottom