New PC for Modded Skyrim (Wildlander), Single player RPG, VR and MS Flight Sim

Associate
Man of Honour
The only glaring error is you have no power supply in your build, a 500gb m2 should be enough for windows and programmes. You could just get a 2tb m2 drive prefablly pcie4 and patrician it to 500gb and 1.5tb for games.

Soldato
I'd probably go 12400F for the benefit the K series and 4-ecores will give on a B660 for £100 extra seems pointless almost, went with a single very fast PCI-E 4.0 M.2 SSD, just set the partition sizes you want. I went for a totally dark grey/black build here only because, no other reason.

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: NZXT C (2020) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: ~£780

I be careful splashing £660 on a RX 6800XT in the current GPU climate, you might be better served getting something lower end ~£300 like a 3060 12GB for a few months until we see where the next gen cards are at. I'm putting my neck on the line here and saying you'll end up with a faster system with a new 7700 XT 12/16GB, and it will have cost you the same once you sell off the stand in GPU, and if you care it might have better RT capabilities. :)

Associate
Thanks - hadn't considered the 12400 so will give it a look. Something about the 6800 xt just appeals to me. Totally accept what you say about current market though
Well, for the everything-pilled-in Wabbajack modlists (like Aldrnari with it's near 2,000 mods) having 16GB VRAM is very appealing.

Wildlander is a lot more balanced and should be fine with just 8GB.

But, yes: heavily modded games is a major reason to have lots of VRAM.

Associate
Has anyone demonstrated the use of all 16gigs of VRAM yet?

Would be interested in what it’s used for and how the card performs.
For Skyrim mods?
Well, I'm stuck on 8GB myself, but the readme's for the various Wabbajack modlists do go on about what is recommended:
Full PC Part Picker setup is here. I would recommend atleast 8GB+ of VRAM for 1080p, and for 1440p you will need a minimum of 10GB of VRAM, although more is highly recommended.
So that's where the theory comes from (but note that the Aldrnari author only has 11GB 1080 Ti!).

However as the FO4 benchmarking thread shows, VRAM isn't the only Skyrim bottleneck.

In the various "Is X enought VRAM for card Y", people do point out that 16GB is overkill. That may be true, but user-modded games do tend to use textures like crazy. Obviously a studio would balance a game between models, textures, effects, etc. Modders don't have the original models so they mostly don't have a choice but to go texture crazy.

Associate
This looks interesting and will download Skyrim and give it a go. What I really appreciate is how the author gives detailed installation instructions, the learning curve for Skyrim and mods is brutal so glad to have an easy mode for once.

I will let you know how it runs on a 6800 non xt.

Associate
Wildlander is currently under maintenance and unable to be downloaded through wabbajack. I guess there is a workaround but I will try a different set of mods and have some fun.

Not sure if anyone knows but at moment I have a complete clean instal of Skyrim, do I need to instal SKSE before I run Wabbajack or is this now included with the mods as standard?

Associate
OP
Wildlander is currently under maintenance and unable to be downloaded through wabbajack. I guess there is a workaround but I will try a different set of mods and have some fun.

Not sure if anyone knows but at moment I have a complete clean instal of Skyrim, do I need to instal SKSE before I run Wabbajack or is this now included with the mods as standard?
Wabbajack installs everything. FOllow the instructions and you are golden. Wildlander is incredible. And brutal!

Associate
Wabbajack installs everything. FOllow the instructions and you are golden. Wildlander is incredible. And brutal!
What might not be obvious to Haz123 is that with Wildlander you don't have to use Wabbajack to download the modlist.
Wildlander has it's own installer (which eventually calls Wabbajack), so even if Wabbajack is being updated again (which is why some modlists are usually down) it shouldn't matter.

Wildlander is only the Wabbajack modlist to have a launcher and which has settings so you can change quality. And easily turn off EBN if you don't like the preset rather than having to hunt for ages trying to turn off EBN effects like Depth of Field, excess reflections from anything etc., weird lighting etc.

With Aldrnari I still haven't found an EBN I actually like.

And yes, since it basically is Requim with survival mos it is tough. Best to spend a good while just surviving around Riverwood while you get your bearings and skill up a bit.

Associate
OP
Yes, I'd forgotten that. It was the last verstion of Ult Sky that used Wabba primarily. Can't wait to get my new rig built to play it. Got the finance sorted today. 0% for two years on purchases. Lovely jubbly.

Associate
Thanks for info KompuKare, I am installing a less safe for work mod at moment so will give this a go and maybe have a go with Wildlander at a later date. Not really played Skyrim for a few years so will be like a new game.

I really should get a Nexus account to make the installation easier.

Associate
OP
Gigabyte 6800xt - gone up £30. The MSI 6700xt has also gone up. Hey Ho - is what it is. Pondering the Inno3D 3080 chill now. More expensive but the gap closer with the increase in 6800 xt. Finance should arrive in plastic form today or tomorrow so I’m closing in but can order other bits in the meantime

Associate
Gigabyte 6800xt - gone up £30. The MSI 6700xt has also gone up. Hey Ho - is what it is. Pondering the Inno3D 3080 chill now. More expensive but the gap closer with the increase in 6800 xt. Finance should arrive in plastic form today or tomorrow so I’m closing in but can order other bits in the meantime
nice. If you change and go for the 3080, I'd consider the 3080 12gb model. It's not just 2gb extra, it's more a 3080ti with a few less shaders. the extra 2gb vram will also help texture mapping in future at 4k. Reading an article last night saying nvidia had asked manufacturers to stop production of them over 3080 10gb and 3080ti's...3080 10gb still a great card(i have one)

I noticed in your build the 12600kf for £269.98. OCuk do the 12600k(so integrated gpu not locked out) in oem form for £259.99(on order) rather than £289.99 for retail, but you can still buy it now...so cheaper

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,599.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

review of the SN570 you have in build too​

Back
Top Bottom