New PC for Photography

Associate
OP
Hi JollyJamma. I do like that Gigabyte Mobo over the MSI. So Gigabyte it is....Will all the above fit into a Mid Tower.? If Not I can go for a Full tower costing around £150 or less. Don;t get me wrong after reading about this tower you suggested, I do LIKE it but not the price.
I off out to camera club now so catch up later./ Many Thanks for your Kind help.

Associate
Hi JollyJamma. I do like that Gigabyte Mobo over the MSI. So Gigabyte it is....Will all the above fit into a Mid Tower.? If Not I can go for a Full tower costing around £150 or less. Don;t get me wrong after reading about this tower you suggested, I do LIKE it but not the price.
I off out to camera club now so catch up later./ Many Thanks for your Kind help.
The gigabyte has a ton of USB and other connectivity which is very handy for you.

It's ATX so you should be fine as long as you use a standard ATX chassis. I don't know which one you'll get though.

Associate
OP
JollyJamma--We shall have to read up n look at majority of Cases. Decisions, Decisions.
There is the Phanteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX Tempered Glass DRGB Glacier white at £134:99p
Phanteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX Case Tempered Glass DRGB Satin Black £154>99p

Associate
OP
Just been reading about M2 SSD that when you put one in it disables two sata ports. So if a Mobo has 6 sata ports plus 4 x M2 slots and you plug in two M2 you will lose a lot.
So in todays technology why do they do this. The way I see it, for NON Gamers like myself it not worth buying any M2 ssd just use the Normal SSD instead.
I Hope you can follow what I trying to say. lol

Associate
I To be honest why not something like a MSI Pro B660M-A board for best budget, or the B660M mortar if you want a top end B660 board. They're cheaper and more than capable for the OP requirements or am I missing something
Below, Technotice basically does vids with creators in mind, not gamers, so worth a look regarding cpu
GPU becomes more complicated depending on the type of effects you're actually doing with photography, so went with a 3060 12gb card
Also put a 2tb gen4 nvme in there. The firecuda has a 2800 TBW endurance, way mre than other drives
Cooler.... a 12700k can be running quite hot, hence water aio...comes with 6yrs warranty so they really are quite safe now
750W psu, 10yrs warranty, on offer
32gb ram, more than enough
3060 newer card with 12gb ddr6 onboard
evo case a lot cheaper than the XL case, but has room for lots of storage
anyway, my take for similar dosh so to speak

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,525.79 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Associate
OP
I To be honest why not something like a MSI Pro B660M-A board for best budget, or the B660M mortar if you want a top end B660 board. They're cheaper and more than capable for the OP requirements or am I missing something
Below, Technotice basically does vids with creators in mind, not gamers, so worth a look regarding cpu
GPU becomes more complicated depending on the type of effects you're actually doing with photography, so went with a 3060 12gb card
Also put a 2tb gen4 nvme in there. The firecuda has a 2800 TBW endurance, way mre than other drives
Cooler.... a 12700k can be running quite hot, hence water aio...comes with 6yrs warranty so they really are quite safe now
750W psu, 10yrs warranty, on offer
32gb ram, more than enough
3060 newer card with 12gb ddr6 onboard
evo case a lot cheaper than the XL case, but has room for lots of storage
anyway, my take for similar dosh so to speak

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,525.79 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Hi craig-D1---Many Thanks for this. Appreciated lots. I'm going to stick with what 'JollyJammer' has chosen for me except for the pricey Tower. I do like the case you have chosen, so that is another on my list to decide on. I don't really need that high a Graphics card for photography so that is out as well. NO WATER in my Towers Ever. lol I don't trust water with my clumsiness LOL. THANK YOU and Take Care.

Man of Honour
Just been reading about M2 SSD that when you put one in it disables two sata ports. So if a Mobo has 6 sata ports plus 4 x M2 slots and you plug in two M2 you will lose a lot.
So in todays technology why do they do this. The way I see it, for NON Gamers like myself it not worth buying any M2 ssd just use the Normal SSD instead.
I Hope you can follow what I trying to say. lol

I had a look at the manual of the Z690 Aorus Elite (is that the one you were going for?). It appears that this only applies to one of the M.2 slots, the other three do not use SATA slots.

Associate
OP
I had a look at the manual of the Z690 Aorus Elite (is that the one you were going for?). It appears that this only applies to one of the M.2 slots, the other three do not use SATA slots.
YES correct Mobo---So if I used 2 of the M.2 slots I would have 5 free SATA to use seeing that 1x M.2 only disables one sata port. Sorry for all this but I can't get my head around all these new things on the Mobos. lol

Man of Honour
So if I used 2 of the M.2 slots I would have 5 free SATA to use seeing that 1x M.2 only disables one sata port. Sorry for all this but I can't get my head around all these new things on the Mobos. lol

According to the manual, you can use M.2 slot 1, slot 2 and slot 3 without any impact on the SATA ports whatsoever.

If you use M.2 slot 4, you lose 2 SATA ports. The weird thing is, the manual says you only lose the SATA ports if you use a PCI-E drive, but if you use a SATA drive, you still have all 6 SATA ports?

Associate
OP
According to the manual, you can use M.2 slot 1, slot 2 and slot 3 without any impact on the SATA ports whatsoever.

If you use M.2 slot 4, you lose 2 SATA ports. The weird thing is, the manual says you only lose the SATA ports if you use a PCI-E drive, but if you use a SATA drive, you still have all 6 SATA ports?
OK. That sounds very good. Last question, Honest..lol What is that PCI-E drive for. What uses it.? Thanks. OK I think I got it. When I plug in a Graphics card it will disable a sata port Correct or not.

Soldato
NO WATER in my Towers Ever. lol I don't trust water with my clumsiness LOL.

It's a CLC (Closed Loop Cooler) you don't have anything to do with water, you install the radiator, and fit the block and plug it into the power that is it. However if you want to get an air cooler then there are good ones available, like the Dark Rock Pro4 already suggested, however for the sake of maximising performance the CLC is likely the better option, especially if opting for the 'K' SKU chip.

Anyway good luck, sounds like you've got lots of new things to learn on your journey to your new PC build.

Man of Honour
OK. That sounds very good. Last question, Honest..lol What is that PCI-E drive for. What uses it.? Thanks. OK I think I got it. When I plug in a Graphics card it will disable a sata port Correct or not.

No, nothing to do with the graphics card.

M.2 is a form factor, it defines the shape and connector of the drive. They're basically like a SSD, but without the metal box around it. If you google "M.2 drive" you'll see what I mean.

M.2 drives can be either SATA, or PCI-Express, not both.

M.2 slots (on the motherboard), can support one, or both: SATA and PCI-Express.

The Z690 Aorus Elite has 4 M.2 slots. If you download the manual from Gigabyte's website they have a very clear diagram of the motherboard, showing the 4 M.2 slots (named: M2A_CPU, M2Q_SB, M2P_SB and M2M_SB).

The manual then has a table (page 26) which shows you that the 6 SATA ports are completely unaffected by the use of M.2 slot 1, 2 and 3.

It then has another table, which shows you that 2 of the SATA ports are disabled if you use a PCI-Express M.2 drive in M.2 slot 4.

A direct link probably wouldn't work, but you can try it:

Associate
OP
Journey--THANK YOU for explaining that. So a CLC is safe and far better than a normal Air cooler...That is one thing easing my mind. Just have to try and get my Head around NVME and NVME-PCI as I'm so used to just SATA. Been reading about it but brain still back in the 50s LOL.

Associate
OP

M.2 is a form factor, it defines the shape and connector of the drive. They're basically like a SSD, but without the metal box around it. If you google "M.2 drive" you'll see what I mean.

The Z690 Aorus Elite has 4 M.2 slots. If you download the manual from Gigabyte's website they have a very clear diagram of the motherboard, showing the 4 M.2 slots (named: M2A_CPU, M2Q_SB, M2P_SB and M2M_SB).

The manual then has a table (page 26) which shows you that the 6 SATA ports are completely unaffected by the use of M.2 slot 1, 2 and 3.

It then has another table, which shows you that 2 of the SATA ports are disabled if you use a PCI-Express M.2 drive in M.2 slot 4.

THANK YOU my Friend. Is now coming a lot clearer. Si I can use the 1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 NVME SSD and still use 5 SATA drives until I can afford another NVME. I Think I got that correct. Brain still in the 1950s lol

Associate
OP

Getting Clearer in Brain now THANK YOU.

Soldato
Journey--THANK YOU for explaining that. So a CLC is safe and far better than a normal Air cooler...That is one thing easing my mind.

Glad I could add some info.

As for the case, when I am required to build something that needs internal 5.25" drives (DVD-RW or Blu-Ray etc.) then I like to use the Be Quiet! Silent Base 600 as it offers a lot at under £100 and looks ok.

Associate
OP
This is what I have decided on so far. Still not sure about Liquid Freezers as I know nothing about them. But If they be Better than Air Coolers for CPU and leek Free (I don't trust liquid inside my tower PC) I'll go for it.
1x Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.60GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA 1700 Processor--Retail (SKU: CP-6AO-IN) £379:99p Though I have been told these get VERY HOT. ?
1x Corsair Venggeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16gb) 3600MHz. AMD Ryzen tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (SKU: MY-4CL-CS) ---£139:99p---Is this OK if not give me your options.
1x Palit GeForce GTX 1660 StormX 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card SKU:GX-04R-PL £200
1x Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4 Intel Z690 DDR4 ATX Motherboard (SKU:MB5A5-GI £249:98p
1x Corsair RM Series RM850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular PSU (CP-9020196-UK) (SKU:CA-24R -CS) £79:99p
1x Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler 240mm (SKU:HS-07B-AR £79:99p
1x Phanteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX Case, Tempered Glass DRGB White Glacier £134:99p
Phanteks SK 140mm Black DRGB PWM Fan Triple Pack £39:99p
Phantek SK 140mm Black DRGB PWM Fan Single £14:99p
1x Crucial MX500 1tb SSD £79:99p Been told there not much difference in speed between this and the M2 NVME. Advice needed??
1x WD 4TB Blue HDD 5400rpm 256MB Cache Intern. HD. £86:99p Though I'll probably go for the Toshiba 4TB 7200rpm.

TOTAL COST (if my maths is correct) is £1,484:89p

If You think I need changes for the Better, Please do tell me, as long as prices are Equal or lower than I have.
Will OCUK Build this for me?? If So at what cost?? Thanks.

Associate
This is what I have decided on so far. Still not sure about Liquid Freezers as I know nothing about them. But If they be Better than Air Coolers for CPU and leek Free (I don't trust liquid inside my tower PC) I'll go for it.
1x Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.60GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA 1700 Processor--Retail (SKU: CP-6AO-IN) £379:99p Though I have been told these get VERY HOT. ?
1x Corsair Venggeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16gb) 3600MHz. AMD Ryzen tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (SKU: MY-4CL-CS) ---£139:99p---Is this OK if not give me your options.
1x Palit GeForce GTX 1660 StormX 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card SKU:GX-04R-PL £200
1x Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4 Intel Z690 DDR4 ATX Motherboard (SKU:MB5A5-GI £249:98p
1x Corsair RM Series RM850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular PSU (CP-9020196-UK) (SKU:CA-24R -CS) £79:99p
1x Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler 240mm (SKU:HS-07B-AR £79:99p
1x Phanteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX Case, Tempered Glass DRGB White Glacier £134:99p
Phanteks SK 140mm Black DRGB PWM Fan Triple Pack £39:99p
Phantek SK 140mm Black DRGB PWM Fan Single £14:99p
1x Crucial MX500 1tb SSD £79:99p Been told there not much difference in speed between this and the M2 NVME. Advice needed??
1x WD 4TB Blue HDD 5400rpm 256MB Cache Intern. HD. £86:99p Though I'll probably go for the Toshiba 4TB 7200rpm.

TOTAL COST (if my maths is correct) is £1,484:89p

If You think I need changes for the Better, Please do tell me, as long as prices are Equal or lower than I have.
Will OCUK Build this for me?? If So at what cost?? Thanks.
cpu. for the £10 diff, get the 'k' version.
ram, I'd just get the 3200C16 for £95. Intel not as sensitive as AMD to Mhz, and the 3200 has tighter timing so much of a muchness...save £45
GPU..your choice
Z690 board...seems expensive for what you're needing it for MSI Pro Z690-A basically the go to budget board with all you need..save at least £50 or more if you don't need wifi
PSU..that's a great price and good psu..make sure it's 2021 version..more durable but both come with 10year warranty so wouldn't worry too much
P500A is a nice case
For cooler , I'd go 360mm as that's the space along top in p500a
Crucial MX500..just don't see the point personally..sata connection so another wire in case, read/write 560/510 mb/s...just get a WD 1TB SN570, goes directly into mobo so no wires, and read/write 3500/3000..£86 on OCuk which is high, but if you want ocuk to build, guess you have to buy from them. but your choice. if you're not going to use nvme, might as well drop to a b660 board. if you want a gen 4 drive, Crucial P5P for £112...middle ground a WD SN750 for £99

OCuk will build..email them your build, and they'll price it up..normally £150-£200ish iirc, depending on complexity/no fans etc, but you get a 3 yrs collect and return warranty I believe

Back
Top Bottom