New PC for Photography

Associate
Thank You Tetras--Appreciated. 1st>>RAM, Which do you say is best, should I check on the Z690 site for compatible RAM at 3200 ??
2nd>>SSDs--Two WD Blacks sounds Good.
3rd>>HOPEFULLY someone else will pop in about the Fans. Will have a read at what fans others are using. As for Cooler Arctic Liquid Freezer II a few are using them but I don't know if they are good as some say. Thanks. Have a Good Weekend.
Best people to ask about those fans is OCuk directly
If you're determined to get the 850W psu for your setup, I'd prob go back to the phanteks case as cheaper as on offer, or get a slightly bigger case to fit a 360mm in top rather than 240mm(as you're going for a 12700k). I put the lancool in there as was cheaper in a combo package with the rm650 psu combo, but tbf, not a lot of difference in price by the end I guess..
OCuk friendly bunch, and more than happy to chat with you, esp if you're going to get them to build it for you

Associate
Been checking and it will be OK. I have noticed the price has gone up within a week of old price...I'll wait now to see if prices drop. Thank You.
it was prime week last week...a lot of retailers dropped prices also, OCuk included...think next drop will be black fri time prob (some manufacturers drop price before so never really a perfect time to buy if doing all at once)

Associate
OP
Hi Craig_d1--Thanks for replying. I like that Lancool case, so which is the best size PSU to buy for it ? is 750W good enough for that i7 12700k. ?. I like to play safe with a higher PSU.
Next is the cooling, does the water coolers need to be taken out from time to time to refill ? or is there a special liquid in them ? As you can see, I know nothing about water coolers, just thinking they may be better coolers than the Air ones over the CPU. Apart from the PSU and Tower I think I got all the rest sorted out.
Yes, I did realize after that prime week was on then finished. lol I could have saved cash by buying off of Am***** using Prime time, but I would prefer to buy from OCUK but at the right prices. I can wait a month or two if needed and just keep an eye on prices. I might get a bit more cash by then, you never know. Can you let me know which PSU 750w Gold Modular you would buy for the Lancool case?? THANKS.

Associate
Hi Craig_d1--Thanks for replying. I like that Lancool case, so which is the best size PSU to buy for it ? is 750W good enough for that i7 12700k. ?. I like to play safe with a higher PSU.
Next is the cooling, does the water coolers need to be taken out from time to time to refill ? or is there a special liquid in them ? As you can see, I know nothing about water coolers, just thinking they may be better coolers than the Air ones over the CPU. Apart from the PSU and Tower I think I got all the rest sorted out.
Yes, I did realize after that prime week was on then finished. lol I could have saved cash by buying off of Am***** using Prime time, but I would prefer to buy from OCUK but at the right prices. I can wait a month or two if needed and just keep an eye on prices. I might get a bit more cash by then, you never know. Can you let me know which PSU 750w Gold Modular you would buy for the Lancool case?? THANKS.
What I put in before still stands true for me, others may disagree so feel free to chip in anyone else reading this....you shouldn't really be going over 500w (or anywhere close as you wont be stressing it maxed out on everything for photography work)...so a 650W is more than ample...and again, all depends when you buy as prices fluctuate..as an example the phanteks below 650W is £75 and comes with a 10yrs warranty etc..the RM750 is a good psu also, but £110 at OCuk is expensive (at mo you can get it for £85 away or the 850W for £100)...OCuk does have sales so you can see £30 off a decent psu which would change what I would use, but again, all down to when you buy. Generally, if a psu has a 10yrs warranty it should be decent, then check reviews online, and I'd choose a fully modualr one too

from previous post....the max power draw the 12700k had was 374W under a stress test and overclocked..normal use multithread using all cores was 221W ...and the gtx 1660 storm(which you may get later you were saying is 132w stressed) so combined 506w, and you wont actually be drawing that..

from a quick search online found below, and that's with a rtx3060

Mid-Tier Estimate:

Mid-Tier ComponentsPeak Power Consumption
12700K CPU190 watts
Mid-Tier Graphics Card (e.g., Nvidia RTX 3060)170 watts
Motherboard80 watts
2 M.2 or 2.5" SSDs18 watts
2 Case Fans (120 mm)12 watts
2 CPU Fans (120 mm)12 watts
Total Estimate:482 watts
Recommended Power Supply Wattage:650 watts

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £514.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Soldato
Regarding the issues with onboard graphics.

The main problem is the graphics memory is shared with CPU Ram. That means that graphics occupy the memory bus, plus if your doing some CPU processing at the same time as GPU processing, the whole system slows down as everything bottlenecks around the RAM.

Also and this is only my personal view. Nvidia cards have better picture quality than onboard, I'm a software dev and I always seam to have the best picture quality from Nvidia, maybe Nvidia gamma and colour control settings work better then others. Anyway I would always choose even a lower end Nvidia card over onboard.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Regarding the issues with onboard graphics.

The main problem is the graphics memory is shared with CPU Ram. That means that graphics occupy the memory bus, plus if your doing some CPU processing at the same time as GPU processing, the whole system slows down as everything bottlenecks around the RAM.

Also and this is only my personal view. Nvidia cards have better picture quality than onboard, I'm a software dev and I always seam to have the best picture quality from Nvidia, maybe Nvidia gamma and colour control settings work better then others. Anyway I would always choose even a lower end Nvidia card over onboard.
I agree with you there. Have never liked On-Board GPU anyway. The 1660 will do for a while.

Associate
OP
What I put in before still stands true for me, others may disagree so feel free to chip in anyone else reading this....you shouldn't really be going over 500w (or anywhere close as you wont be stressing it maxed out on everything for photography work)...so a 650W is more than ample...and again, all depends when you buy as prices fluctuate..as an example the phanteks below 650W is £75 and comes with a 10yrs warranty etc..the RM750 is a good psu also, but £110 at OCuk is expensive (at mo you can get it for £85 away or the 850W for £100)...OCuk does have sales so you can see £30 off a decent psu which would change what I would use, but again, all down to when you buy. Generally, if a psu has a 10yrs warranty it should be decent, then check reviews online, and I'd choose a fully modualr one too

from previous post....the max power draw the 12700k had was 374W under a stress test and overclocked..normal use multithread using all cores was 221W ...and the gtx 1660 storm(which you may get later you were saying is 132w stressed) so combined 506w, and you wont actually be drawing that..

from a quick search online found below, and that's with a rtx3060

Mid-Tier Estimate:

Mid-Tier ComponentsPeak Power Consumption
12700K CPU190 watts
Mid-Tier Graphics Card (e.g., Nvidia RTX 3060)170 watts
Motherboard80 watts
2 M.2 or 2.5" SSDs18 watts
2 Case Fans (120 mm)12 watts
2 CPU Fans (120 mm)12 watts
Total Estimate:482 watts
Recommended Power Supply Wattage:650 watts

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £514.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I always like to go a little bit more (higher on my PSu) How many watts does a Caddy with 4x4tb hard drives in it draw. I have a ZT series 650w in this tower PC I am using right now and it is GREAT. 5 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 DVD/RW writer, 1 CD/dvd Reader and a few more External HDD attached. PLUS 9x usb attached. Not all running at same time, but sometimes a printer is running along with 4x HDD open. I see that Seasonic GX-750 was £84:99p now jumped to £112: 99. That is a Big Hike. I know I can save cash if I build it myself but Eyesight not good for reading very tiny print on Mobo. We shall see. If some prices fall in OCUK I'll buy from them. If Not, I'll hunt around. If you still say a 650W after reading this, I'll go for the first one. If not I'll go for the Corsair RM series RM750w. I have always bought Corsair though the one in this PC is ZT series 650W. THANK YOU for your Kind Help on this. Appreciated Lots.

Associate
OP
NEXT QUESTION---Which is the Better Cooler ?

Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans OR the>​

Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler 360mm
Also which is the better RAM--
Team Group vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16) 3200MHZ OR >the Patriot Viper Steel 32GB 3600MHz
Or something different and more reliable. Low Profile if Possible.
THANKS.

I see that OCUK have upped their prices considerably for some components. Sad is that, now I'll have to wait. I also see OCUK not selling the i7 12700 (only 12700K/KF). I not going to Overclock so decided I'll only need the i7 12700. Good job I got patience to wait. Hopefully prices will drop again in a month or two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm nearly there. Honest. I am going to buy from OCUK..It is the logging in to get the Free postage. Is not where I was told it was. in fact Not there at all. I had this problem before and had to phone in. Looks like I'll be Phoneing OCUK in a week or two or earlier as Inflation going up n up that means Finance on monthly pay will be going up n up n up. Do you think I should Buy now, or Wait??? Around 2,000 people looking at this. Phew!

Soldato
If you are going beyond your means (in real terms) I don't honestly think the 12700KF offers any value at the current eyewatering ~£400 price.

I'd honestly go back to the drawing board, and just offset/save a huge chunk by going with a much cheaper Ryzen 5 5600/B550/32GB DDR4 build, no need for a fancy cooler, even a £25 air cooler is more than adequate, and the total cost would be much lower. Bit of a spanner in the works, but unless it is for a job/profession then spending the extra might just be not really worth it.

EDIT: Example, no PSU/case or extra fans etc. But that lot is only £265 more than the 13700KF CPU on its own!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card
Total: ~£665

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Journey--Thanks for the Ryzen tip..Alas, I do not use AMD. Not as good for photography as an Intel. Though saying that, I shall make more Enquiries about the Ryzen cpu's. Tune in at the weekend to see if I changed me mind.

Soldato
Hi Journey--Thanks for the Ryzen tip..Alas, I do not use AMD. Not as good for photography as an Intel. Though saying that, I shall make more Enquiries about the Ryzen cpu's. Tune in at the weekend to see if I changed me mind.

Please don't fall down the trap of X brand is worse for X, it is totally dependant on the CPU out at the time and the cost of that CPU, and actually you'll find performance per £ spent that nothing will touch the Ryzen parts at the lower end right now, simply for the fact they have come down so much in price.

What you are referring to is money is no object performance, so if you don't need to think about the cost then Intel is the best option, but as you started questioning the affordability then money is obviously an object and such the suggestion came about.

Reactions: sg0
Associate
OP
Hi Journey...I can afford to pay Outright. But because I need other things I'm thinking HP Monthly Direct Debit. Just finished one with Amazon so I'm Good to Go. What is worrying me is the rising cost of Everything PC related at the moment. I don't understand Inflation etc except it costs more to buy. So my main worry is, Do I wait to see if price drops on some things or Buy now whilst prices are stable. All the New Components are very new to me so it's left me behind considerably and does confuse me a bit. Reason for All my Questions. (too many from me I think). This New PC must last me at least 10 years or thereabouts. I'm 78 this year so this will be my very last Build. I need Photoshop 2022 and Lightroom Classic 2022 to Run FAST. They be a bit slower in this PC I'm using (So Deleted them) but the older PS 5.6 and Lightroom run very well on this current system. I Do Understand what you saying, Honest. Your Help is Good and has gotten me thinking about Ryzen. So more reading for me before final decision. I will then phone in for my order with questions. Many Thanks for your Kind Help.

Soldato
From what I know about Lightroom and PS, you're going to be gaining very little by stumping up the premium for a 12700 over something like a 12600k or even a 12400, 6 fast cores is plenty for both of these applications i'm pretty sure? The cash you save on the cpu, could be spent on 64GB of ram which could be useful depending on the size of your work.

You're wasting money on a z690 board too.

Regardless of what you buy, it's going to be a million miles faster than your current setup and none of the latest options are going to feel slow in the slightest, I think you're overthinking this.

I have no idea what the 'Puget Systems Benchmark' is in PS but the 12700 is 15% faster than the 12400 is, but well over double the cost, in terms of 'real world' difference, is that even negligible?

If you're coming from the pc in your signature too, does the 1660 you're planning to buy offer anything over the 1050ti you already have, in these applications?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom