New PC for storage

Associate
Hi All,

looking for a new PC for a family friend, they mainly store photos so need lots of storage space 3 * 2 tb drives and a small SSD for a boot drive would be great!

NO OS, keyboard or mouse is needed

smaller case preferred if possible.

No graphics card needed but integrated graphics will be. They dont do anything mad on photoshop or rendering images etc so dosent need to geared for it.

£600 is their budget, can this be done?

thanks
Anth

Man of Honour
3 x 3.5 mechanical hard drives in a small case is going to be a problem most micro atx cases allow for only 2.

Below is just one option aQuad core cpu with gt 720 as no onboard but could swap this for a 10100 at £120. Case mid tower but wull take 3 x 3.5 hard drives but the other option is to get a 4tb hard drive and partition it and get a smaller case. No Wi-Fi not requested but could add a usb dongle or card .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £525.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
if you go really small case then you're getting into small form factor for everything, so price starts to creep up. Micro case would prob be best but most fit 2 x 3.5" drives...are drives included in price? If they have a laptop already and just want storage etc, maybe a NAS setup would work better, and just slot the hdd's in?
5600G prob your best bet cpu wise for a bit of longevity @ £240 odd, though as can't see anything too demanding intel 11400F @ £150 gives you more to play with elsewhere. I take it they have no pref either way, just as long as fits in budget. Will they ever want to maybe install a dedicated gpu at a later date..then that would impact the choice of psu?
Sorry, just getting my head around the need for 3x2tb drives, when you can just get 1*14tb if you really want storage, or 2 (doesn't have to be that big)in a raid 1 mirror array in case of a failure

Associate
OP
Thanks Micky, really appreciate this!

Is the only difference between that I3 and the one for the £120 really just integrated graphics? was taking a look and thats all i can see? feel like im missing something :D £60

Associate
OP
Hi Craig,

I mentioned a NAS to them and they are keen to just spend the money to replace their outdated HP desktop and get this all done in one, mirrored 2 * 4tb would also be fine , they do just want some redundancy as one of their hard drives just died with a lot of important photos on :( (and don't want to pay for cloud storage to keep them all)

no need for graphics card later on, just a family PC used for homework / storing pictures.

thanks

Anth

Man of Honour
Thanks Micky, really appreciate this!

Is the only difference between that I3 and the one for the £120 really just integrated graphics? was taking a look and thats all i can see? feel like im missing something :D £60
Correct its just the intergrated graphics , maybe go for that 4tb hard drive and a smaller case.
Probablly could go for 8 gb of memory but the price is minimal and the board has 2 slots so u
If there needs change then plenty of ram there.

Use the quote button if poss we get a notification.

Don
mirrored 2 * 4tb would also be fine , they do just want some redundancy as one of their hard drives just died with a lot of important photos on :( (and don't want to pay for cloud storage to keep them all)

I'd avoid mirrored internal hard drives and go with 1x internal, and 1x usb hard drive.

Mirroring doesn't protect you from file corruption/viruses/ransomware. The usb drive can just be plugged in once a week for example and updated, then unplugged and kept "offline" somewhere separate.

Associate
Hi Craig,

I mentioned a NAS to them and they are keen to just spend the money to replace their outdated HP desktop and get this all done in one, mirrored 2 * 4tb would also be fine , they do just want some redundancy as one of their hard drives just died with a lot of important photos on :( (and don't want to pay for cloud storage to keep them all)

no need for graphics card later on, just a family PC used for homework / storing pictures.

thanks

Anth
I know what that's like..My son tripped over power cable when he was a toddler, pulling everything to floor, laptop and portable hhd we were using for storage(was doinga trasfer at the time)..lost wedding photo's and 5 years of photo prior to that...sent hhd's to be rebuild but to much damage..switched to ssd's after that :cry: though most of what we take goes straight on google photo's with advent of smart phones.
Micky above got a build in there with an i3. Do you need wifi for it all as prob easier getting a mobo with it built in(if not that much more cost wise). The case can fit an atx so can go smaller, but it's discrete enough. I was beginning to blow thru budget, like my own build:cry:

Associate
OP
Yeah i felt their paint when they told me as i almost lost a load of files a few years back but managed to fortunately recover mine with software from the corrupt drive

wifi on mobo is probably a good shout, any good ones recommended or im happy to get a pci wifi adapter and install?

Man of Honour
Yeah i felt their paint when they told me as i almost lost a load of files a few years back but managed to fortunately recover mine with software from the corrupt drive

wifi on mobo is probably a good shout, any good ones recommended or im happy to get a pci wifi adapter and install?
The only problem with motherboard is sometimes you have to update the bios yo get a newer cpu to work this can be tricky if the board forsnt have flashback . This motherboard im confident will work with the 10150 cpu and has WiFi but is nearly £40 more.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...200-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-35z-ms.html

Associate
I've started with a micro atx case, and put in a 6 core cpu. I put a decent psu etc which can be a bit of overkill, but means they could drop in a dedicated gpu at a later date. I 1tb nvmw can do the hard work and then use the 4tb for storage. Can downgrade from here, but just another option. I knew I was going Ryzen so researched more those mobo etc, so would need to do a little more research on the intel side

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £657.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
The shop really isn’t the place to look for this kind of hardware.

Ryzen 2200/3200G
Basic A520/B450 board
2x4gb of DDR4 anything
2-300 watt PSU
Any 120-250gb SATA SSD
Case with a 120mm fan. Ideally pushing air over the drives.

Back
Top Bottom